carpet cleaning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by songbirdie, Aug 13, 2004.

1. songbirdie

songbirdie New Member

Does anyone know of any good substances to clean carpets, rather than using chemical shampoos or dry cleaning solvents??? I was thinking about trying peroxide - has anyone tried that? Any other ideas???
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I sprinkle baking soda, let it sit for a few hours before vaccuming. I use a Hoover upright with Hepa is very powerful. This is your first line of defense, if you can keep at it frequently.

When cleaning, I have it professionally steamed. Inbetween cleaning, I clean spots with that little (red) steamer advertised on TV. We have an older German Shepard that is now having accidents in the house.

First I soak up as much as I can with the "Green Machine" Then steam, then soak up. It it is a stubborn spot or one that has dried, I use the shampoo for pet stains. But rinse really well with the steamer, then suck that up with the Green Machine. It is time consuming but this has been the best procedure for pets and me that I have found. Fondly June
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I substitute either Shaklee's or Miracle Soap for my cleaning. I know from experience that the Shaklee's worked very well on the carpet and on the furniture that we cleaned.

I just cannot use chemicals. And even if you had someone else come in and actually use the still have to live there with them after they are dry.

Good luck!! ...Sherry
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We use white vinegar, pure in the Oreck steam cleaner.

Spray the stains with peroxide, let them stand a few minutes, then go over them with the vinegar in the cleaner.

My husband cleaned the whole house with the vinegar. It came really clean.

Peroxide will take out any kind of pet stains, food, but not grease or chemical stains. It even helps with old stains.

If you want to keep your white clothes bright and not use bleach, then put a half a bottle of peroxide in the wash water before you put the clothes in. Your wash will be white/bright and smell fresh (plus it kills bacteria)!

I can't handle the chemicals either. I would love to have new carpet, but I know how sick I would be if I get them. I can't use any carpet cleaner on the market that I know of.

Shalom, Shirl

5. songbirdie

songbirdie New Member

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm so glad to have you all to help with questions I have since I've been ill.
    I am wondering also, does the carpet smell like vinegar Shirl?? I'd like to try it.
    Thanks again, all, for your help.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

White vinegar does not have a strong odor. The odor is gone in a couple of hours, the house smells fresh after shampooing.

I use white vinegar for a rinse for my hair, and when I first do it, my husband tells me I smell like a 'toss salad', but the odor is gone in an hour or less from my hair.

I did not have a problem with the peroxide changing the color of the carpet, this carpet is light mauve. But if you are concerned, try it in a closet, etc. first before you use it in a visible area. I do not know about a very dark colored carpet.

As for washing the clothes, I only use it in the white clothes, or a cup in colored clothes.

Shalom, Shirl

7. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi Shirl, and thanks for a great job here. You are so right not to get a new carpet, We got two beautiful high quality bound remnants and due to the horrible chemicals coming out of them, and MCS (with the CFS/FM/LD) the reactions were awful and two days later, some nice folks nearby each got a beautiful free rug. OH WELL! It seems that they say and I know that the MOST important way to get more chemical tolerance to these everyday "toxins" is AVOIDANCE! (easier said than done) Bye and Take Care.
  8. americiantail

americiantail New Member

I am hoping that I get this right. Did you post something regarding fleas and salt on carpts, if so please post what you did for the carpets regartding the salt.
  9. songbirdie

songbirdie New Member

I'm going to try the white vinegar - thanks so much for the healthy tip
  10. jujubear

jujubear New Member

a little dawn on grease and oil stains usually works if they are not too old. just color test your carpet.i do have one stain wont come out w/ anything maybe the vinegar will work. its a fairly new rug. thanx juju
  11. ekoserve

ekoserve Member

One of the most easiest and widely used methods to clean carpets is dry extraction method. First you spread a dry absorbent compound over the carpet being cleaned, afterwards you vacuum it with the cleaning machine. Carpet Cleaning Plano TX provides professional quality carpet cleaning services.