Carpet Shampooer - Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Windytalker, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I feel really guilty for not being around more often. I tried reading to catch up, but I'm cramped for time these days.

The word "hectic" is a normal day for me here in rural Oklahoma. We're having our house painted and you know how it is. One project means 4 others develop in order to accomplish the first. Plus, Killer (aka my DH) has to have more dental surgery meaning a long treks to Tulsa to his new "prosthodontist" (a dentist who specializes in false teeth).

About the shampooer...I've had a Hoover SteamVac for years and it's been a real worker, but the darn thing is so heavy once the water is added. I struggle with it. Now, the brushes aren't working (I may have found a fix via YouTube, but haven't tried it yet).

Can anyone suggest a shampooer that might be lighter...plus keep the water hot/warm? I've never used a Bissell, but from what I've read, it's hard to clean up after use. I don't know of any other brands. Plus, "professionals" in our rural area aren't too terrific.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I do hope all of you are doing well (or as well as possible) and are taking good care of yourselves.

Hugz,
    Windy
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Windy

Nothing to feel guilty about. Folks come and go as they can. We are glad to
    see you whenever you can drop by.

Can't give you any advices re: steamers and vacuums. When I was a kid we had a
    Bissell carpet sweeper. Today Gordon and I have the same thing. But we also have
    a vacuum. I'm happy to report it is too heavy for my aged self, and Gordon is
    allowed to operate it all he likes.

I am also happy to report my mother eventually got a real vacuum cleaner. I liked it because
    I discovered I could hook up the hose to the port that blows out air. Then I could
    amaze and delight my friends by placing a ping pong ball in the stream of air where it
    would float indefinitely.

Rock
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Windy,

I also have the Hoover Steam Vac and I love it as it does a really good job. On the other hand, as you mentioned, it's heavy and difficult to push. Each area needs to be vacuumed and cleaned numerous times, causing it to hurt my back and knees. In fact, it was following one shampooing session that I had to have my knee scoped. I have found that Bissells do not do as good a job of cleaning. If a carpet is really dirty, it might be a good idea to call in Stanley Steamer and then try to keep it up before it gets too soiled. Seems to me that my carpet gets dirtier right after I shampoo it.

Good luck finding something. I have an H2O steam floor machine and it is supposed to steam clean carpets. Seems to work well but the steam head is so small, it would take a week. It is light though.

Love, Mikie
  4. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Rock...I'm not even sure they make vacuums anymore with an exhaust hole. But, they were handy...I just never thought to use it with ping pong balls. How fun!!!

Mikie...Thanks for understanding my situation. Yes, they can cause "problems"...especially like you ending up with a knee problem. My body is badly damaged and using mine ends up causing me a lot of pain.

Like you, I found using rug shampoo made my carpets get dirtier quicker. I try not to use it if possible (also partly because I'm chemical sensitive). Sometimes just hot water does a better job. The only cleaner I know that heats the water is Bissell...with Hoover you add it and it won't stay hot (I don't move too fast). The professionals here aren't too terrific. I don't have a steamer, but will give that some thought. Never bought one since they're not recommended for laminate floors, but they might work on carpet.

Thanks a bunch!
    Windy
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just wish I had something better to offer. When I did try the H2O on the carpet, it got the area clean. It's a small unit but the water does weigh it down a bit. Thing is that they give you a piece of plastic to put on the steam head and it glides across the carpet. Easy peasy! It's just that the steam head is small so it can take a while. I only do the traffic areas.

The whole thing comes apart and there are several other attachments. I used it to clean my windows and it got them sparkling clean. It's a bit awkward to use for anything you have to lift it for so using only a small amt. of water helps there. I put it down my garbage disposal and it cleans out any mold. Even after using the chemical foaming cleaners, the disposal isn't as clean as it gets with the steam. Also, the advantage is that there are no chemicals with steam.

It is also supposed to steam wrinkles out of clothing but I've not used it for that. I think Joy Mangano's little steamer, sold on HSN, would be better for clothing. I can't remember whether I got the H2O on QVC or HSN but you could go online to check it out. I also think stores sell steamers almost identical to mine. My biggest problem is that I have five different floor machines, not counting regular mops, and storage is tight. My wet 'n dry vac has saved the day for me and my friends in the hood. But, I digress...

I wish my Hoover did heat the water. I think they make a model which does. I didn't get it because it was around $400 and this one does a good job without heating the water. It's just that it's such a physical ordeal. One thing I have found is that the better I preclean the really dirty areas, the better, even if it's only spraying some foam on it first. When I am sensitive to a chemical, I wear a mask.

Good luck to you. I live upstairs in a condo and can't have hard flooring in the main areas so I'm stuck with carpeting. I love the feel of carpeting so it's not a problem except when it's time to clean.

Love, Mikie
  6. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Thanks again, Mikie. Not sure if I want to invest in yet another type of appliance but will read up on it. I also just do traffic areas. There's absolutely no way I could move furniture to do a thorough cleaning. And, that's what I run into with the pro's here. They won't move furniture either (even light weight), so I'd have to hire people to move the furniture in order for them to do a thorough cleaning. Finding guys to move furniture would be like looking for that famous needle in the haystack.

We also like carpeting...neither of us like cold floors. I had carpeting in my kitchen before we moved here...just a simple shampooing kept it clean. But, I had laminate put in here and totally regret it. I'd replace it, but won't. We've already put more $$ in this house than it's worth.

Have you seen those gadgets that wash windows? They "stick" to the windows and move around like those little remote floor sweepers. I'd love to see one in action. I have a hunch they're not too reliable.:)

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll try to read up on them today.

Hugz,
    Windy
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Again, wish I had something better to offer. Haven't seen the window washers. If my windows weren't on the second story, I'd be happy to clean them myself. Only my kitchen window on the balcony and my sliders on the lanai are within reach. We usually have a guy clean outside once a year after rainy season. I figure that's why they make blinds, so I don't have to see the dirt :)

Love, Mikie