Carry A List Of Your Meds With You

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is vitally important in an emergency that medical professionals know what drugs you are taking. Carry a list of what you are currently taking with the dose and frequency. Keep this list updated. I also carry my living will with me as it has my emergency contact info on it.

It is also good to tell your emergency contact if you are taking something like Klonopin which should not be discontinued cold turkey. This info can also be put on medic alert jewelry.

In my case, I also carry a card with the words, "IMPORTANT BLOOD INFORMATION," in big bold red letters because I have the D antibody in my blood. It wouldn't be a life and death problem if I were to receive blood without it, but it is a factor in my donating blood and if I were given pos. blood by mistake, it could trigger an allergic reaction.

I know we don't like to have to be bothered with these things, but leaving home without this info could be a matter of life and death for some of us in an emergency. We never know when an accident or disaster will strike.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But if I go for a walk, I stick my info, including ID and insurance card in a pocket.

I think anything one can do to make this easy to take along would be a good idea.

Love, Mikie
  3. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

I need to update mine and add some things you mentioned. You never know when it will be needed.

[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

are what I use, to keep in my Purse, Car, Van and even on the Boat. I list my Med's and the Condition's I take them for. You can type it out also on the computer, and print it out, to keep on hand.

Example:
    Vicodin; Musculoskeletal, Arthritis
    ........ Chronic Myofascial Pain.

Soma: Muscle Spasam's, IBS, Mastoiditis,
    ........ and TMJ

get the idea? Hope that worked out right. Then list your Main Dr'.s Number and have a 2nd one for back up.

Sincerely,
    sharon
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

6. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

to keep a list of pertinent allergies as well, especially if they include anaesthetics and morphine for example.

Good suggestions, thankyou.

S
  7. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I think that is a very good suggestion. I am going to make sure I have a list of meds in my purse now.
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....to carry a list of your supplements, too-----not so much in an emergency sense, as Mikie was refering to, but because every new doctor you see will want that, too. I only take one prescription med (occasionally for migraines), so that's easy to remember, but a lengthy list of supplements----the last doctor I saw wanted every name of every supp or natural product I used. I was scrambling to remember! So now I've tucked that list, plus my allergies to drugs/foods, in my purse----makes it a lot easier!

Thanks for the reminder, Mikie.

Pam
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can join Medic Alert and get a piece of jewelry with your ID number on it. All info can then be accessed by your family or medical care practitioners 24/7. You can join online.

However we decide to do it, we need to ensure that our meds, supps, and especially allergies, are available should anything happen to us and we are not able to talk. Even when we can talk, how many of us can remember everything under the best of circumstances let alone when we are under stress.

It isn't just us either. Any family members with allergies or who take meds need to have this info readily available.

Love, Mikie