CASE STUDY ( please read ) has has a

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 139864, Mar 25, 2007.

1. 139864

139864 New Member

Hi All

[recently had surgery for a cateract .For a few days was GREAT ,then relapsed . In bed for over a week .Now ,after six weeks I have regained my strength
    This is a recent abstract from Entrez .
    As i worked with this solvent every day for eighteen years I believe it would have some bearing on my adverse effect to my surgery
    Hugs
    Brenda uk

"INTRODUCTION: Trichloroethylene (TCE) is extensively used as a degreasing agent in the metal industry and as a solvent for organic compounds. Its neurotoxicity (with respect to both the peripheral and central nervous systems) is now widely acknowledged. OBSERVATION:

Here, we report the case of a 32-year-old male drug addict presenting temporal seizures after "huffing" TCE (i.e. voluntary inhalation). The patient also deve loped a "psycho-organic syndrome" which included cognitive dysfunction (with memory disorders in particular) and personality changes.

These disorders had not been noticed by the patient's wife prior to the last episode of inhalation. Four months later, the cognitive disorders had stabilized and no further seizures had been observed.

CONCLUSION: The patient's overall clinical picture (notably featuring neuropsychological disorders) and electroencephalographic and brain imaging data argue in favor of a selective effect of TCE on the temporal lobe."

PMID: 17151517 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]
  2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Many years ago I used this chemical on a daily basis to clean molybdenum dust off of furnace electrodes. I would get a buzz or high, immediately followed by an intense headache. I used it in confined spaces. I think it has been banned in the US for quite some time.

I will google this and let you know. I was extremely mad when I found out how dangerous it was. I found this out many years ago.

I have holes in the white matter within my brain, as was detected by an MRI. I had the MRI due to constant headaches.

Thanks for this information. I had forgot the name of this chemical.

Cheers,

Andy
  3. 139864

139864 New Member

Andy if you were to read my profile ,you would see that I have sooooooooooooooooooo much info on the two solvents ( this & Trichloroethane ) . Anything I can help you with ..Please ask :)
    Hugs
    Brenda
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Ms. Brenda, this deadly chemical has not been banned I am sorry to say. It is emerging as one of the most serious polutants in our drinking water.

I found this at the EPA website:

Trichloroethylene (TCE) Health Risk Assessment: Overview

ORDs National Center for Environmental Assessment is preparing a human health risk assessment on trichloroethylene (TCE).

TCE is a solvent that has been widely used for vapor degreasing of metal parts, as an ingredient in adhesives, paint removers, correction fluid and spot removers, and as an extractant and chemical intermediate.

Subsequent to its release, EPA's 2001 draft health risk assessment of TCE underwent a peer review by a panel of independent scientists through EPA's Science Advisory Board (SAB), which provided a peer review report in December 2002.

In addition, the public submitted more than 800 pages of comments to EPA during a 120-day public comment period. In February 2004, EPA held a public symposium on new TCE science in which a number of authors of recently published scientific research presented their findings.

Due to continuing science issues as well as emerging significant new science, further revision and external review have been planned.

EPA, along with the Department of Defense, Department of Energy, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, is cosponsoring a consultation on TCE science issues with an expert panel convened by the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology.

EPA has developed four issue papers that highlight important scientific issues related to TCE. These papers were provided to the NAS on February 15, 2005. The NAS panel first met on March 23-24, 2005 in Washington DC. The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy as well as EPA made presentations to the panel at that time.

Background:

TCE, a chlorinated solvent, was widely used for metal degreasing and is now a common contaminant at hazard waste sites and many federal facilities.

TCE has been identified in at least 1500 hazardous waste sites regulated under Superfund or the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. Besides being used for degreasing, TCE has been used as an extractant and as a chemical intermediate.

Most of the TCE used in the United States is released into the atmosphere from vapor degreasing operations. TCE can enter surface waters via direct discharges and groundwater through leaching from disposal operations and Superfund sites; the maximum contaminant level for TCE in drinking water is 5 ppb.

TCE can be released to indoor air from use of consumer products that contain it, vapor intrusion through underground walls and floors and volatilization from the water supply.
    ---------------------------------

This information is from Wikopedia

Physiological effects

When inhaled, trichloroethylene. as with any anesthetic gas, depresses the central nervous system. Its symptoms are similar to those of alcohol intoxication, beginning with headache, dizziness, and confusion and progressing with increasing exposure to unconsciousness.

Respiratory and circulatory depression from any anesthetic can result in death if administration is not carefully controlled. As mentioned above, cardiac sensitization to catecholamines such as epinephrine can result in dangerous cardiac arrhythmias.

Caution should be exercised anywhere a high concentration of trichloroethylene vapors may be present; the drug can desensitize the nose to its scent, and it is possible to unknowingly inhale harmful or lethal amounts of the vapor.

Much of what is known about the human health effects of trichloroethylene is based on occupational exposures. Beyond the effects to the central nervous system, workplace exposure to trichloroethylene has been associated with toxic effects in the liver and kidney.

Over time, occupational exposure limits on trichloroethylene have tightened, resulting in more stringent ventilation controls and personal protective equipment use by workers.

The tightening of occupational exposure limits and increased need for worker protection in part contributed to the substitution of other lower toxicity chemicals for trichloroethylene in solvent cleaning and degreasing.

The carcinogenicity of trichloroethylene was first evaluated in laboratory animals in the 1970s.

Cancer bioassays performed by the National Cancer Institute (later the National Toxicology Program) showed that exposure to trichloroethylene is carcinogenic in animals, producing liver cancer in mice, and kidney cancer in rats.

Numerous epidemiological studies have been conducted on trichloroethylene exposure in the workplace, with differing opinions regarding the strength of evidence between trichloroethylene and human cancer.

Recent studies on the mechanisms of carcinogenicity have shown that metabolism of trichloroethylene in the liver produces metabolites (such as trichloroacetic acid and dichloroacetic acid, which are responsible for liver tumors in mice) that are the ultimate carcinogens in laboratory animals.

Other studies using physiologically-based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modeling, have examined the similarities and differences in metabolism between humans and laboratory animals,to better understand the relationship between carcinogenicity observed in laboratory animals and human cancer risks.

The National Toxicology Program’s 11th Report on Carcinogens categorizes trichloroethylene as “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen”, based on limited evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in humans and sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in experimental animals.

5. 139864

139864 New Member

ANDY
    For the past three years I have fought with all of my doctors about TCE & TCA
    Every hosp, appoints I go armed with the most recent articles from the LANCET & PUB MED .I have also gone in front of two doctors & a magistrate at a Tribunal for INDUSTRIAL BENEFITS .
    There , I was given a paper which they had all signed
    saying that they had believed everything I had told them ,& did not doubt the evidence I supplied them with. But because they were not on the list ,they were sorry BUT there wasn't anything they could do about it

THIS IS A RECENT STUDY from PUB MED

Centre for Study and Cancer Prevention, Unit of Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology, Florence, Italy.

BACKGROUND: Many biological and chemical agents have the capacity to alter the way the immune system functions in human and animals. This study evaluates the immunotoxicity of 20 substances used widely in work environments. METHODS: A systematic literature search on the immunotoxicity of 20 chemicals was performed. The first step was to review literature on immunotoxicity testing and testing schemes adopted for establishing immunotoxicity in humans. The second step consisted of providing a documentation on immunotoxicity of substances that are widely used in work environment, by building tables for each chemical of interest (benzene, trichloroethylene, PAHs, crystalline silica, diesel exhausts, welding fumes, asbestos, styrene, formaldehyde, toluene, vinyl chloride monomer, tetrachloroethylene, chlorophenols, 1,3-butadiene, mineral oils, P-dichlorobenzene, dichloromethane, xylene, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, ethylene oxide). The third step was the classification of substances; an index (strong, intermediate, weak, nil) was assigned on the basis of the evidence of toxicity and type of immunotoxic effects (immunosuppression, autoimmunity, hypersensitivity) on the basis of the immune responses. Finally substances were assigned a score of immunotoxic power. RESULTS: Tables have been produced that include information for the 20 substances of interest, based on 227 animal studies and 94 human studies. Each substance was assigned an index of immunotoxic evidence, a score of immunotoxic power and type of immunotoxic effect. CONCLUSIONS: This matrix can represent a tool to identify chemicals with similar properties concerning the toxicity for the immune system, and to interpret epidemiological studies on immune-related diseases.

PMID: 17036363 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So At last ...They are beginning to accept the fact that
    THESE CHEMICALS ARE HAZARDOUS
    stay WELL
    Brenda

[This Message was Edited on 03/25/2007]