Cat lovers.. HELP Sick Cat

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dononagin, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dononagin

dononagin New Member

My cat has been lethargic for the past two days.. won't touch her food, she's drooling... Her body feels cold. Any ideas what could be going on? We've been giving her pediolyte with a dropper as she has no interest in drinking or eating a thing. I'm thinking it's vet time... Any ideas?

She is 3 - Never been out of the house or around other animals. I've had her since she was a few days old (rescue kitten).

2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Is that 102? (temp)

I'm worried that she may have got ahold of a pill. Joe is always leaving Med's laying around.

We have mouse poisen in the garage, but none in the house and she isn't allowed out of the house due to our dogs. I was wondering if she may have got ahold of a mouse that had eaten poisen, but she doesn't eat them. Just kills them.

We feed her wet and dry food. I mix them up as she is finicky as heck. Normal store brands, friskies, whiskas, special kitty etc. That and she gets real fish any time I cook it. Real chicken..

I'm going to try some chicken when I get home. My daughter got some more pediolyte down her. If she isn't eating tonight I have to take her in. She's my baby!!

Thanks so much fight!
    love, dona

3. ckball

ckball New Member

Do you have any indoor plants? This happened to one my of cats many years ago. Check to see you have any sign of chewing.

Then I had one kitty that have feline leukemia, I had to have him put down.

Like Fight said check the temp but I think she meant 102 not 202.

Good luck, I hope she gets better-Carla
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think you're's vet time. Or you could look up the symptoms online and see what that can lead you to.

Let us know how it goes please...

Nancy B
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

Yes, get her to the vet first thing in the morning (if you haven't already) unless she is SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED by then.

If she has gotten worse, go on TONIGHT and don't delay.

She has definitely gotten into something poisonous to her.

My father's kitten behaved that way...turned out to be one teeny tiny piece of rat poison!!

Hope your kitty makes it through fine...

6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Get her to the vet asap. When my cat got into crickets that had been poisoned she was really ill for a long time. She vomited the crickets up, but still was ill from diazinon. We don't use poison at all anymore. Only ant and roach motels and yellow sticky traps under the stairs in the garage for the crickets.

Good luck and hope she will be okay.

7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would take her to the vet asap. She needs a doctor.

8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

How's the kitty? Sending up a prayer that all is well with her! Love ya girl....
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

when your cat stops eating its definitely Vet time.

Hope she's okay.

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I cannot add one thing but here I am anyway, sending well-wishes to your cat. Yes, she needs a vet. Not eating and drooling can be signs of poison in a cat that young, as others have said. Regardless, she needs more than you can give her.

Let us know.

11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I took off early from work yesterday.. drove an hour to the nearest animal hospital just to find them closed. I had her put to sleep this morning. She couldn't even raise her head.
    I have a girlfriend who works for the spca in town and she came and got her for me. She thought too that she got ahold of something toxic. Joe leaves meds around the house all the time. The only thing I can think of is she downed a pill. I guess hard lesson for pet lovers. Kathy, my friend from the SPCA said that cat's have such weak livers that even an asprin can shut them down.
    She was born in the attic on top of my office. A wild cat had gotten in the building had a litter and abandoned them. We kept her alive with a eye dropper. Funny, Micaela and I have taken turns all night with a dropper trying to get pediolyte down her.
    Anyways, thanks to all... I don't know how I am going to get through work this morning!
    Love dona
  12. TerryS

TerryS Member

I'm so sorry...nothing else to say.

13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'm so sorry about your cat. Animals become part of our family. We think of them as our children.

I know you loved her very much. I'm sending you a cyber hug.
  14. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

It is always hard to lose a pet. I am so sorry that you lost your kitty.

Take time to mourn her passing, and remember that she is no longer suffering.

Again I am so sorry you lost her.
  15. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Thank you all so much...
    Love, dona
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

There's not much more to say in a case like this except that we understand. She brought something very special into your life that now is gone.

It does help a little to have a good cry or ten.

17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm so very sorry about your little kittie, she was still so young.

Lost my old cat in April last year, she was 18, and it was terrible.

Thought I'd never replace her but I got two little kitties two months later, and they havent replaced her but they've brightened up my life. I still miss my Rose.

You'll probably go through a grieving process just like you would for a person, she was part of your family after all.

So sorry

18. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh I am so sorry you lost your baby. I lost my 15 yo kitty a year ago next week. I still miss him and so does my Smitty kitty, he was her protector.
    But it does get better in time.

Take care-Carla
  19. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Yes it was weird coming home yesterday and her not jumping up on the couch for her "kiss" when I came through the door.

Stinker- This was 2 days.. That quick. She didn't die, I had her put down, but only because it was obvious she was suffering and the nearest vet is over an hour away, and I can't afford to spend a fortune keeping her alive. I have a disabled grandchild and honestly if it comes down to hundreds of dollars on a vet or helping my daughter with therapy costs the choice is clear.
    Though, if I could have got her into the animal hospital when we went I would have gladly paid the cost. By the following morning it was obvious that our baby was dying. I couldn't let her suffer. My friend from the SPCA took her and did the injection so I know she didn't suffer any more. Not how I wanted it but the best we could do under the circumstances. I've had many cats over the years and never have I seen a cat get this sick so quickly...

Thanks and love to all..
  20. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so sorry about your cat and do understand completely how this can happen, and how quickly a cat can go from fine to deathly ill.

My thoughts are with you....

Nancy B

And....I'm always on my husband's butt to be more careful when taking his pills. He takes so many supplements that he does it by the handful so he can't tell if he's dropped one. And he often does...