Cat people I need your help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, May 10, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I have a really weird problem. Even my vet is researching this.

My youngest kitty, Princess, is 18 to 24 months old. She is in heat...and she has been spayed, get this, twice. First time the vet missed an ovary. (How that happened we don't know. It wasn't my vet.) The second time was about 10 months ago.

How can she be in heat again? What can I do for her? She is miserable right now. (Poor Kitty. *wipes tear from eye*)

We don't want to open her up again unless it is absolutely necessary. We are trying to find an appropriate test to see if there are too many hormones running through her. (There is a hormone test, but we're not sure if it will tell us all we need to know.)

Another weird thing about this is that she went almost 10 months without going into heat.

I plan to go to the store later and get some Rescue Remedy for her. I did give her some catnip earlier and it helped for a little while.

I feel so bad for her. Plus, she is keeping hubby and me awake with her plaintive trilling and crying. My other two cats are going nuts along with us.

Please, any help you can give us will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless.
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

can sometimes still go into heat due to bladder or vaginal infections. Did your cat have her uterus removed when the vet did the ovary removal? Keep Kitty away from open windows or doors as she might bolt to get out if she is really in heat again.

TxSongBird
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Tx, yes, everything was removed. And she has already gotten out once, but hubby caught her right away. *whew* And I'll keep the infection possibility in mind. She seems fine, but it is a possibility.

Stormy, thanks for looking. I've been looking too, but so far I've come up blank. Of course I'm exhausted, both from CFS/FM and from Princess crying all night, so I'm probably overlooking something. At least I hope I am. That means after I get some sleep maybe I'll find the answer.

Again, thanks so much for your help! And Princess (and the other kitties) thank you too!

God Bless.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  4. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

of anything like this. My cat was spayed a year ago. She still has symptoms of being in heat. My vet told me that "that's just your cats personality." I'm thinking now that I should go get a second opinion.

On a second note, I have another cat that refuses to do "her #2 business" in the litter box. She will go right in front of it on the floor. Any suggestions?? She will use it to urinate but her bowel movements are on the floor in front of the litter box.

Thanks and I am on the phone searching for a new vet!

Dawn
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Is this a new problem? If it is, she/he may be upset about something. Try to remember if anything could be construed as "new". Also, I had a cat who suddenly started doing #1 outside the box. Turns out he had a bladder infection.

So it could be either physical or behavioral. I'd need to know more.

Getting a new vet is so hard sometimes. I ask my cat friends for their vet suggestions.

God Bless.
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I'm still researching this. I hope to have an answer soon.

I got Rescue Remedy and Vervain for Princess, and I'm giving the other two Rescue Remedy and Holly. The Holly, hopefully, will make them friendlier to Princess and I'll hear less hissing and kitty-cussing.

Thanks again for helping with this.

God Bless.
  7. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

It is possible that when a fetus your puss began separating into identical twins late in the cycle....and the second twin was absorbed into her instead of separating normally...this happens in humans too....if so it's possible she had 2 sets of reproductive organs. Your vet would need to do a scan and blood tests to ascertain whether this is so.

Jen
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

UnicornK,
    I'm wondering if your cat could have 2 wombs and possibly 4 ovaries? Is that possible? Sounds like a long reach, but just wondering if an ultrasound would be in order for her? You need to make sure all her female organs are out.

Good luck!

Gymmbabe,
    You are getting the poo out of the litter box after they do it, right? You aren't leaving it in for days or anything like that? Cats like a clean litter box and if you are using a certain type of litter they don't like, they very well could do their business on the floor.

We continue to use Tidy Cat cat litter and refuse to go to the scoop-able types. I heard they can cause urinary tract infections because the grains are so small.

We do have two litter boxes for our one cat. One up here in my office and one downstairs in the utility room.

My husband changes them (we use liners) every 4 to 5 days and we pick the poo out and put it in ziploc bags and put it in the garbage.

I agree with Jeniwren...

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. Musica

Musica New Member

Purely! But if women can have PMS type symptoms even after hysterectomy (and I think that's what I read), then a female cat might? Especially one that has known what it is like to be in heat? I would be interested to know what your vet comes up with, and if there is a high level of hormones still in her - or 4 ovaries. I wonder if they can sense when the males are on the prowl?
  10. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have no idea what is wrong with your cat and I believe you should have as many tests as possible and if, eventually, you do have to have her opened up again, so be it.

I do use rescue remedy for my cat - she suffers from anxiety and is easily stressed ( at 16, no wonder) and I do know that it works. Good luck
  11. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

It IS possible to have two uteruses - it has been documented in humans as well as animals. It is rare but could explain kitty's trouble. The other possibility is a tumor that is releasing hormones. She needs a second opinion!
  12. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to try getting another litter box. If that doesn't help, a trip to the vet is in order.

dncnfngers: thanks for the doggie pad idea. I'm going to try it!

dawn
  13. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I got some interesting ideas here. Two sets of reproductive organs...I will ask the vet. I hadn't even considered that.

Since she was a rescue kitty...she was rescued one day before she was scheduled to be euthanized...I have no idea what her family is like. I know the families of the other two; in fact, Fuzz and Justa are related.

The Rescue Remedy and the two other flower essences seem to be working. All three of them are mellow, and Princess is quieter, although she is still acting as though she is in heat.

I thank you all for your help, and I will let you know what happens.

God Bless.