Cat people question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jmcdelaney, Nov 15, 2007.

1. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Ok, I have 2 cats, 2 kittens, yes I should know this, but we sort of got them recently, all at once...LONG story! But a nice one for a day when I feel like typing...

One of my kittens (almost 6 months old, neutered about2-3 weeks case it matters)...smells like poop all the time. He's not rolling in it or anything weird, just smells. Any thoughts?

I read somewhere his "anal glands" could need to be drained??? Trying to avoid a vet bill (have a dog with liver disease $$$$, dryer crapped out, just had to spend almost 2k on septic system...and one going to college next fall)

Also, I want to take his temp. can I use a digital thermometer (and eeewww, how far do you stick it in?)

[This Message was Edited on 11/15/2007]
  2. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

With regard to taking the cat's temp, I've seen the vet just barely insert the thermometer for just a few seconds, so I'm thinking it's probably a specialized thermometer.

Also, a cat's normal body temp is around 101 degrees.

Is the kitten's bottom clean? Sometimes it takes a minute for them to learn to be thorough with the cleaning.

I believe anal gland cleaning is more about dogs, but I could be wrong about that.

My vet lets me make a couple of payments when the bill is a bit of a chunk for me all at once.

Glad you want to take good care of your pets. I love animals so much.

3. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Yep, he's clean...

He's good about cleaning himself, and usually gets a couple more baths from my feral (Missy)...she was brought into the shelter when she was about 9 months old. Now I can pet her (only when she is near kitchen but she'll let me brush her anywhere) and sometimes she sleeps on our bed! What a sweety.

4. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Well...if his little booty's all's a puzzlement! Not sure what's going on with the little guy.

I absolutely adore my kitty kat. She's 4 years old now and was feral when I found her. She was too sick and malnourished to run from me, so catching her was not an issue.

However, the vet bill to make her well again certainly was. She needed emergency medicine and I was devastated when they told me how many hundreds it would cost.

Then, my man, of all people, said let's do it. He said we don't go out, we don't go to the boats, we don't ever do anything or waste money...let's do this.

I'm so glad we saved her. Because she saved me.

Blessings and love.

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Except for dogs.

I've would have said to check that he's cleaning as well...but you've already checked that. Our office once fostered a mom cat and her three kittens. One was just the laziest little booger. The other two kittens were adopted out, but that one stayed with his mother and ended up living with a co-worker. She told me that the lazy kitten grew up into a lazy adult, and his mother ended up grooming him for years!

Is it possible that he just got some on his fur or in a crevice on his foot? Is the smell all over or just in certain places?
  6. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

i am thinking he just gets backed up. We had tacos for dinner the other night, and I left the chopped lettuce on the counter...he gobbled it down...doesn't smell today!

Thanks, Joann

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

last time I took my wee cat to the vet he had a swollen anal gland and the vet just gave it a squeeze and popped it.

8. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

"Butt" I'll keep a nose on it!

9. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

If it wasn't his anal glands(which the odor from anal glands is usually fishy/rotten and it will come from the anus)it could be that he was backed up.(I express my dog's anal glands between grooming,the groomer or vet does a deeper more thorough job. Just be careful, improper attempts to express can cause the anal glands to be impacted which may need surgery.)

As gross is this sounds dogs and humans may emit an odd poo smell when they are constipated.(cats might too)

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2007]