Cat question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by frosty77, Jul 18, 2008.

1. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've always had outdoor cats but after the last one went missing, I decided that was the end of that. A couple months ago I got two new cats - a 6 month old domestic short hair and a 7 month old part Siamese.

Do indoor cats poop and pee quite a bit? I have two litter boxes and have to empty each daily as there are several pees and poops in each. All the outdoor cats went outside so I emptied the litter box once a week maybe - so I'm wondering if this is normal.

Also, they seem to eat similar amounts yet the Siamese is getting huge - any ideas why?

And anyone have a really finicky cat? Both loved treats - but when I changed to new ones (same brand, different flavor), one of the cats won't touch them. So I bought the same flavor and she still won't touch them. She will only eat the stale ones in the original jar that are fish shaped and tan colored.

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have an indoor cat -- about 14 years old now. She uses her litterbox about a half hour after each meal. She is fed 3 times a day.

Metabolism is different for each cat. And energy expenditure is also different.

As for treats, my girl is definitely picky. She only eats 'Temptations' treats!
  3. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

She is an abandoned flame point siamese that I kept when I couldn't find her owners (and figured out later she had been dumped). She pees and poops all of the time. I have to turn on the automatic litter box every day! She isn't too picky but the cats I had years ago when I was married were. Well the female was.

Are you sure they are eating the same amount or is the siamese shoving the shortie away from the food *L*. I had two seal-point siamese. I provided 2 bowls and they ate out of both. I never really noticed who ate what and how often, but my male was VERY chunky (although I never had the heart to tell him) and my female was tiny. As long as your shortie is gaining ok and seems healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. If the siamese is getting too portly, you might have to switch to a lite cat food, which means they both eat that. It is tough when you have two cats, because they share food.

If you are concerned about the weight gain, I would check with your vet. If the picky cat is the siamese, well picky is their middle name. If it is your shortie, she is just expressing her likes and dislikes to you. They have foods they love and foods they hate, just like their human owners. My cats loved their science diet but refused to eat Eukenuba.

So far my flame point likes to eat whatever she can get her paws on!

4. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Now they are eating the same (or close) but before I was free feeding them as I did previous cats - and I'm guessing Siamese was eating Shorty's too. Shorty looks fine, not skinny, but Siamese is turning into a fatty.

Shorty gives new meaning to the word 'picky' - so I was wondering if this was normal. She would originally only eat Science Diet whatever-the-shelter-gave-us, then I ran out so I bought what I thought it was. Apparently it was the wrong kind, so I bought two more kinds, then tried a few other brands, then several brands of wet food - nope. Finally I went back to the first one I bought and she ate it (the Siamese will eat anything).

Shorty was eating Pounce Caribbean flavor treats. I was running out so I bought another Pounce flavor - she won't touch them. So I bought Caribbean flavor - she won't touch these either. But if I give her one of the few remaining stale ones from the original jar, she'll eat it. Is this normal??????
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Believe it or not, cats can be controlling and it sounds like she is testing you. There isn't anything wrong with humoring a picky cat as long as it isn't extreme but when you run out of the original, stale treats just feed her what you have and she'll either eat it or not. After a while I'm sure she'll give in a little bit. Even though they are independent and can have some real defiant personalities at times (loveable, but stubborn), if she is hungry, she will eventually eat. She's just got a little power struggle going on with you. You will both find your place and it will settle down.
  6. caffey

caffey New Member

Is like the cat on the temptations commercial. She bounces off the wall with the yellow one.

She likes to use her litter box very early in the morning. If I don't pile the kitty litter high enough around the edges of the boxes she somehow misses and pees on the floor. My son brings his new girlfriend home to meet me. She isn't here 5 min. and guess who has a big pee and poop. We are in an apt. so you can imagine. Not impressed. Cats can be very stubborn and it can be a battle of the wills.
    MY son says leave them alone and they will eat when they get hungry.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

First, congratulations on having indoor cats. It's more work but your cats will be healthier and live longer.

Cats are like people in that their output matches their input. I have two cats and scoop their litter box four times a day. Of course, it's in my bathroom.... long story. Ideally there should be at least one litter box for each cat.

Cats are also notoriously finiky eaters. They're the only animal that will stave before they'll eat something they don't like! I suspect that your Siamese is not as active as the other cat or it's metabolism is different. Check with your vet to see what he or she says. Until then, give up on the treats.

Some people, including my vet, swear by the twice a day feeding and other lazy people like me prefer to keep dry food down at all times. I give the cats a tablespoon of wet food twice a day as well, mostly so if I need to medicate them, I'll have somewhere to put it, or try.

I don't give them cat treats which are not generally that nutritious and add weight easily so save your money.

Welcome to being owned by cats. ;>)

8. Didoe

Didoe New Member

cats are finickey eaters and do not want their bathroom near their food station.

they also prefer a clean box however,do not use harsh soaps or bleach; hot water, thorough rinse and pat dry, if they are using seperate boxes put 1/3 cup of the old litter in each one's box; stool should be removed daily. I have 2 cats and after meal, they go and then come to announce it and we get the scooper and clean their boxes....i clean the box, they stand and supervise.
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thank goodness my cats don't care where their food is as long as it's plentiful and fresh.

I do use a combo of 30:1 water to bleach on the boxes (learned from our local shelter) and they're fine with that. I don't add old litter to the new now but it helps when training them.

You gotta find your cats' habits of choice.

10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we have to change our litterbox every single day and take out the poop as they do it. We have two cats.

And both are very fussy, many cats are.

If you're cat isnt getting exercise then it will put on weight.

My cats are pedigrees and we dont allow them to wander but they are allowed into the garden so long as me or my husband is with them.

11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Is your Siamese a male? Males get a lot bigger. My last set of cats, Sally and Skippy at the same amounts of food. But Sally was around 10 lbs, and Skippy 25 lbs. Plus, if they are fixed and indoors, they tend to get fatter. With the Siamese being a bit older, he/she might have hit a growth spurt. Plus, different breeds have different physical characteristics. Skip was a cream colored tabby, and they are known to be one of the largest growing variations of that breed.

I don't think I have ever had a cat that wasn't finicky. Scotty & Frankie only like the pate style food. No slices, shreds or chunks. And only chicken, turkey or poultry combinations, plus lamb. No beef, fish or liver. But now that I have that all figured out and have stocked up on 50 cans of their favorites, they will probably decide they hate poultry.

My daughter told me something interesting the Vet told her. You know how when kittens and puppies are sleeping and you see them twitching? I always thought that meant they were dreaming. The Vet said that means they are growing, and you should never disturb them during that state. Good to know. I imagined they were dreaming of being chased by dogs or something, and would stroke and comfort them. Now I just let them twitch.
  12. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Thanks for all the great information!

Guess I was spoiled - my last 3 cats ate anything and never over-ate. And I had no idea cats used the litter box that frequently!! I could sometimes go weeks without emptying it!