Cat Tales

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Nothing earth shaking but the kitties are getting used to the scratching post. I'm going to try to find something cone shaped and heavy which I can use to anchor the post.

All three were outside this morning. Tweety and Sylvester came in and Simon ate the food I had put out. Poor old guy; he is so afraid of people. Jeff feeds him too but he eats here like he's starving. I'm wondering whether some other critters are eating his food at Jeff's. I guess a feral cat who is never sure where his next meal is coming from will try to eat as much as possible when there is food.

Tweety and Sylvester ate inside and had their cream. I put some fresh catnip in the bellies of their little mousies so they left a little high with some treats. To think that someone just threw these cats out when they were half-grown kitties is horrible. I'm just glad they have such nice lives now. Both are such nice cats. Well, Tweety is a bit spoiled but that's my fault.

Sending out love to all citizens of the Cat Nation and the Dog Nation.

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Always nice to get the headlines on the felines. Do the cats eat the catnip or
    just sniff it? I guess it's their equivalent of marijuana. I think we had a poster
    who grew it for her cats. (The cat nip; not the mj.)

Zippy could use a friendly neighbor too. Last night he was sniffing around
    the kitchen which means, "Hey! I'm looking for food. Feed me." I thought
    that was kinda funny since I had just fed him an hour ago. So I put some
    food in his dish and went to put the dish in the microwave. There was his
    din din. I had never given it to him.

And some days I'm not up to walking him. Not sure if he's totally blind or
    has a smidgen of sight left. Anyhoo he gets around very well. He says
    thanks and arf-arf to the kitties.

3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

In the middle of the night, I was asleep and heard Cesar the cat in my bedroom let out a loud single meow that was his cry for me to help him as he's scared. I sat up and called him and told him "Mama's here, come on." He got in bed and I petted him and cuddled him until he settled and we went to sleep.

This morning I found that at the back glass sliding glass door, it was "sprayed" from the outside. So a cat was out there last night and my cats' beds are right there inside but at the glass door--they love their beds right there. So the outside cat probably was looking at my cats and batting at the glass and scared Cesar (he's not a fighter), but the cat didn't scare Shelby at all and she's a tough little girl.

Cesar also gets scared if he and his sister are stretched out on the quilt in front of the front screen door watching the birds--and the hummingbird comes and hovers in front of Cesar's face but not making any sounds. Cesar runs away so scared to find me and be held. Shelby takes a paw and whacks the screen door and the hummingbird takes off.

I think the hummingbird likes that Cesar has blue eyes plus long hair and his mane pops up from time to time making him look lion like at times. He probably doesn't look like a cat to the hummingbird.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Each one has his or her own particular habits.

Rock, I'm glad Zippy can find his way around so well. Poor old dogs seem to lose their sight when they age. I know what you mean about barely being able to take care of a pet. These cats are fairly independent but there are days when it's just too much to put the outside food out and put the inside food in and fill the cream bowl. Then, Tweety wants her cuddling. I just use dried catnip but Jeff grows his own. I won't grow any herbs because they spray for pests without notice and I couldn't get my stuff inside. The cats will lick it off the floor. Jeff spays all his own plants around the bldg. I'm a bit worried about what the cats will do when the hurricane goes by. It will freak out Tweety. Neither has ever used a litter box and I don't know whether they would if I got one. I can see it now--me, two anxious cats and a litter box in my bathroom. Jeff is allergic so the cats can't go in down there.

TCD, you have the same situation, a fiestier girl than the boy. That was rude of the other cat to try to mark your door as his territory. Do either of your kitties make that, "aak, aak" sound when they see something exciting? My Mr. Big used to do that when a squirrel or bird would get on the balcony. I've noticed now that Tweety is fully grown that her hair will stand up along her back if she gets excited. She and Sylvester left really high with dilated eyes after the catnip spree.

Well, gotta go. Neighbor is in the hospital, nothing serious. I'm taking her husband to visit her. I should pick up some hurricane supplies but I have enough to get by. Have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Neither of my cats make the "ack ack" sound when they see birds, lizards, etc. But Shelby's eyes get very dilated when she is excited watching birds, lizards, grasshoppers (she calls them "hoppers"), etc. Of course, the "tree trimmers" bring the ultimate excitement (The Cat Superbowl).

I had a cat when I was in high school that did make that "ack ack" noise when highly excited at birds, squirrels, chipmonks, etc. I would be doing homework at my desk and my cat would be on the windowsill next to me looking out the window at the tree near the window and go into "ack ack." It really SCARED ME that my cat might be having a seizure, was sick or having ONE POWERFUL HAIRBALL. The vet explained it.

I do have a fiestier girl cat than boy cat. I call Cesar the cat "my infant child" because he was in the cage for 5 years before he came to me and it took him longer to learn to use the stairs, to jump up onto the bed and onto the tall carpeted cat furniture. Shelby was in a cage for 3 years and when she came to me, she was able to negotiate the stairs well and jump and launch way up in the air on the carpeted cat furniture. Cesar needed more encouragement to keep trying when he didn't succeed.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know why Sylvester is more timid than Tweety because they were dumped here when they were less than half grown. They were still kittens. I don't know what they might have suffered but Tweety had some injuries from either a fight or a pellet gun. Sylvester is very protective of her but, other than that, he isn't aggressive or adventuresome. He really is a gentleman cat. When they come in, he waits til she is in before he will come in himself. She just swishes by as entitled as can be. She is truly a diva.

I don't know what they will do during the hurricane. Tweety will likely yowl to come in with me. I think Sylvester likes to hunker down with Simon at Jeff's outside. With Jeff's allergies, he can't let them inside. They could go in on his lanai but that will likely be soaked. Tweety will have to go out at some point as she's never used a litter box and I don't have one. She can go out in between the outer bands of rain and wind. Then, she'll come back in.

This morning when I went out to let Tweety in, a possum was feastin at their outside bowl. Tweety was calm as can be. I know the cats play with them.

Love to everyone and the cats and dogs who own us.

Love, Mikie
  7. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I was in Florida and a hurricane was coming in, I was concerned about my dog and I going ouside in the hurricane for him to go to the bathroom.

I put down a shower curtain in the house and bought some plots of grass and put them down on the shower curtain and POOF an indoor dog/cat toilet. Put all the plots of grass together as one and it will make a nice large area that pets may like.

If they have an area outside that they usually use, take a paper towel and wipe that specific outside area, then come inside on the grass plots and wipe the paper towel on there to place the scent--it helps.

If you want to try it with Tweety if she comes to stay inside with you, it may provide her with an indoor toilet. Good luck and stay safe.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I asked Jeff about both kitties and his neighbor, who is another kittie godmother, is taking both kitties inside tonight to keep them safe. She has a couple of litter boxes. I don't know whether they will know what litter boxes are. Somehow, it'll all work out. This puts my mind at ease. Your idea is an excellent one. You're so smart!

I just pray that all the feral animals, including Simon, will be OK. Animals do seem to know how to hunker down.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've prayed that your virus wouldn't go into bronchitis. It's so easy for that to happen. The original URI runs you down so that it's easier for the virus to spread. Take care, my friend, and I'll keep you in my prayers. Glad everyone is safe and sound.

Love, Mikie