Cat TROUBLE Warning Signs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fivesue, Dec 8, 2006.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just read about Paul's Tigger and posted some things I had just read in the paper this AM...

In a letter to the editor, a lady wrote about her five year old cat who had to be put down because of a large abdominal tumor. Now this is a lady who watches her cats constantly, and although she had seen some change in her cat's behavior, she wrote it off to winter time, etc.

She noted that cat's hide their pain. Even watching him so much, this tumor escaped her radar until it was too late.

These warning signs are fairly broad, but maybe they can help as we live with our dear furbabies.

1. Unusual Clinging to you or hiding

2. Decrease in eating or drinking

3. Excessive drinking

4. Ceasing to urinate.

And may I add....

5. Voracious appetite

My 14 year old cat ate constantly the couple months before he died of his abdominal tumor, but lost weight at the same time. So, I guess..

6. Weight loss

So, just a heads up to those of us with deat kitties and dogs, too. Actually, these signs hold true for people, too!

Hopefully this is helpful information. My Felix, a cat, of course, is my delight. Glad to have these thoughts so I can be more vigilant in protecting him. I just don't want him to suffer....and he can't just tell me he feels lousy.

2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Excellent post Sue,as i said in my other post we don't really take as much notice of our cat's as we should as they are so independent.So well done on raising the awareness of signs we should be looking out for.
    Hope you & your family are keeping grand,as well as Felix of course,LOL.
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My family and Felix are doing well, thank you, Paul. Felix is sleeping on our extra bed in the computer room...looks pretty comfortable and snuggled in nicely as we await a winter storm. It is almost winter...!

Thank you, Linda, for your post...glad to see a new name...maybe you're not new, but you're new to me...!

Take care those little furbabies.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes, those are good to know and I would add the following:

My vet told me when my first old cat got sick that while dogs will let us know they're unwell, cats do not. They do just the opposite, they attempt to hide their pain. Dogs are pack animals and turn to the pack for comfort (like humans?) while cats are not and will attempt to kill another cat who is sick.

My first warning that my old cat Tom was sick was when his pal Jerry began biting him and Tom didn't fight back. Oh, it was so sad.

Also, losing hair. Cats shed but when they're sick they shed profusely! I could pull out handsful, poor babies.

They say that when you adopt an animal you sign a contract with grief, and boy, is that ever right.

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You are right, Marta, about signing up for is so hard to lose our precious furbabies.

I will remember these signs. My cat is an only cat, but will watch for the hair. Didn't know that about other cats trying to kill the sick ones....sounds so cruel but guess that's their nature.

My baby is just 5, but as Paul's cat was young and very ill, I will keep a special eye on Felix...

Thanks for posting these.

6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was interested in your experience with cats being outdoors during the wintertime....

We live on the coast, so our temps are very moderate, but in a year or less, we will be moving inland where we will have four seasons including snow in the winter. Now, it is nowhere as extreme as what you in the midwest experiene, but it will be very different for us...and for our cat.

He is definitely an indoor cat, but as we live in a condo which has a fairly big yard as condos go...a patch of grass, a deck, etc...this new area will be far more wide open and Felix will be able to explore more. More exercise, I'm hoping, also.

Secondly, as my husband's daughter is very allergic to cats, I am not going to get another indoor cat after Felix leaves us...he's only 5 so there's a few more years.

But, having outdoor cats will fill the void for me...I want a cat. Your suggestions are very doable and gives me a plan for the future.

Thank you again for posting this. I appreciate it.