Catch Up

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Fivesue and Rock - thanks for the info on your climate in California - I visited California 3 times in early 70s when I lived in Vancouver - hitched down twice and flew once to SF when a Scottish friend of mine, who married a Utah Mormon, lived there while her husband studied. I remember the hills between L.A. and SF - Santa Monica?? area, they were like velvet and the Big Sur - beautiful, also visited the redwood trees, amazing.

Rock - Falkirk - our motto Touch ane Touch A, Better Meddle Wi the Deil Than the Bairns o Falkirk - fight one of us, fight us all, in fact better to fight the devil than the 'children' of Falkirk. We're known as Falkirk Bairns.

I always thought the town was named after a church that fell, Fal(l) kirk but its after a speckled church from long ago. Used to be known as Fawkirk and still is, Scottish slang.

Raeburn - there is also the famous Raeburn stove - cooker.

Have you finished HP yet, who died?? I usually read the end of books first.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Next time you come to visit the Eureka! state, drop in. I'm usually at home. We can listen to Scottish music and drink CA wine.

CA is so big and has so many natural and man-made attractions, it would take years to see them all. I certainly haven't, and I've been here 40 years.

Never heard of the Raeburn stove. I'll have to look it up.

I never read the end of books first. I haven't read any of HP the last couple days. Will probably finish it tomorrow or the next day.

Let me know if you see any Raeburn tombstones around. I suspect there are a lot of them in Edinburgh.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

there are a couple of really amazing ancient cemeteries in Edinburgh, probably a Raeburn or two there.

The stove is actually Rayburn.......silly me.