Cate -- Squirrel Question for you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, May 15, 2009.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I saw the strangest thing today. Their was a squirrel in my yard trying to carry another squirrel. The squirrel would stop about every 10-15 feet or so and then putting the squirrel around by its head and carrying it again. It finally made it to one of our neighbors tree and that was the last I saw of it.

Was this a baby squirrel? Was it an injured squirrel? Or is this a mating thing?

It was absolutely fascinating to watch since I've never seen anything like this in all of my 39 years of life.
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Too bad my neighbor "the squirrel man of Alcatraz" recently passed away. He'd sure know the answer to that!!!

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Wow, I'm glad y'all posted this! Even us "city kids" can enjoy this form of wildlife. Too cool!

I'll be Googling squirrels to see what else I should be watching for.

4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

My late neighbor knew every squirrel in the neighborhood by name. They came to him when he called their names.

Since he passed, the poor little critters seem so lost...

5. we have a squirrel with a whitish tail so my hubby calls him grandpa. He puts a lt. coat of peanut butter on a cracker or bread and he goes and sits on my swing and eats it. He is very friendly and comes right up to you. I told my h. be careful as my grandfather fed them and one bit him on the side of the head! OUCH!
  6. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

We had an albino squirrel in the 'hood. That got my neighbor all kinds of excited!!! He said the albino behaved in a completely different way than any of the other squirrels.
  7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

It was one of the most wonderful things I have seen in quite sometime. At first, I thought the the other squirrel was dead but then a few shakes of that little tail and I was hoping it was a baby.

I know just where she moved them from. A neighbor just got a dog and the dog is always by that tree where all the squirrels live. I'm sure momma didn't like all the ruckus going on with that big doggie.

I think I caught the tail end of the mama moving the babies. Because I sat and watched for another good hour --- even got the old binoculars out and I didn't see her come back. I hope the neighbors don't think I was spying on them. LOL.

I've never seen baby squirrels and I can't wait to watch for their appearance. I know they have to be so cute.

Thank you so much for your advice Cate! I will be sure to watch for any drey's with orphans. Truthfully, I hope I don't find any babies because i really don't know what I would do. Plus, having three cats would probably make the poor soul have a heart attack.