Catnip for sleep

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by mbofov, May 13, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Okay, catnip is for people too, believe it or not. It's a member of the mint family. I bought some bulk dried catnip the other day from my health food store and made a tea with it using 1 tablespoon for a small teapot of hot water. It was too strong! Very effective but left me feeling drugged. I drank 2 small cups (the kinds without a handle that you get with a tea set) before bed, and then in the middle of the night when I woke up.

So last night I made it again but used half as much catnip. It still worked rather well, although I was a little drugged this morning, but not like before.

I think this tea is more effective than capsules of catnip which I have bought.

I also take melatonin, 5-htp, l-theanine, magnesim and calcium before bed - it's just the middle of the night is when I have problems, and I don't think it's my cortisol. I also take lorazepam in the middle of the night but would like to stop taking it, and the catnip might be the solution. I've had high cortisol before and this feels different. Anyways, the catnip seems to be doing the job!

Mary
  2. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

Interesting. I just bought a cat nip plant and put it in a
    barrel with my other mints to use in teas.

It said on the label that it was good for digestion.

I will have to try some tomorrow and see if it will help
    with sleep issues.

I have 3 1/4 size oak barrels with various mints and
    a chamomile plant so I can start making my own
    herbal teas but I never remember to make any.

I guess I will need to put it on my to do list.
    Make tea!:)
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Interesting, jam- will have to read more about that - nothing is simple, is it!