Catpeople - Need Your Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisa, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

I know nothing about cats...I have a labrador retriever. So I really need your help.

I was outside today and this cat is meowing and rubbing around my legs - very sweet. She/he waits for me even when I am gone for hours. Its dark now and the cat hasn't gone home. The cat has no collar.

The cat is glued to the back door I can't get in and out - much less take the dog out.

It's 51 degree outside. i have a separate garage - of which I opened the garrage door in case she/he wanted to go inside.

I put a dish of water out - can't tell if she/he drank any. But she is constantly meowing - what does it mean?

I'm told not to feed her/him - and to hope she/she goes home.

I'm worried she/he has no home. I put a plastic storage container outside with bunches of paper towels inside - hoping that would help - keep her warm - but she seems disinterested.

Anyway - heeeeeelp.

God Bless,

2. lynncats

lynncats New Member

The poor thing is looking for a home. The meowing means........I'm hungry. The bad things about strays is, that once you feed them they belong to you, at least in my state. I have 8 cats, all fixed, and they do not wonder. Good luck to you, I hope I don't sound to negative, I'm really not, but I have a thing about cats. All of mine have been "found", "abandoned. You sound like a wonderful person.

P.S. Cats know how to keep warm...... bless your heart.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

If you think you want to keep her/him for a pet I'd put the kitty in the garage with food and water. But, of course, it'll never leave!

If you don't want to, then you might call an animal shelter that advertises to be a 'no kill'. That way you can be sure they'll find it a good home and not put it down. I love cats but unfortunately, have developed an allergy to them. Good luck with whatever you decide. Maybe ask around your neighborhood or put up a poster. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2009]
  4. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Does the cat look underfed, like it does not have a home ?

Posting a Found Cat in your local newspaper may be helpful or you may want to look thru the local newspaper ads to see if someone is missing a cat.

Cats are good company if you decide to keep the cat, and one of the easier to take care of pets.

Some local radio stations will let you notify them of a found a missing cat. Radio station will announce this.

If someone does not claim the cat, i hope you can give the cat a home.

5. zeowa

zeowa New Member

If it were me, I would put food and water in the garage and call a no-kill shelter (as suggested above) assuming you can't keep the cat. They definitely only cry out and try to befriend people they don't know if they are very hungry and desperate.

I have several cats who I feed in my neighborhood but who do have homes elsewhere. They are not always fed or housed though, so it's necessary to pick up the slack sometimes.

ITA about radio, newspaper, flyers, anything to help get word out. My local paper does these ads for free and I think that's usually the case.

Please keep us updated and thanks for doing what you're doing!! Exposure for cats at this time of year is really tough!
  6. cynicaldog

cynicaldog New Member

There's always a chance that a very friendly, loud, touchy-feely cat could be a female in heat. However, odds are that it's just a homeless cat who's looking for a new family. With all the foreclosures and economic problems everywhere, many, many thoughtless people have left animals behind when moving. This is also the time of year when summer kittens that were once cute have been tossed outside to fend for themselves. In short, life out there is tough for cats and they need all the friends they can get.

As others have said, if you feed the cat, it will definitely hang around. Your responsibility then would be to make sure it's spayed or neutered, and that it has the proper vaccines. In theory it could live in your garage even through the winter as long as you gave it blankets and a cozy nook away from the wind, but it will have a much better, longer life indoors. Are you reluctant to bring the cat inside because you don't want a cat, or because you worry it will cause conflict with your dog? We rescue cats of all ages, and also have four pet dogs, and it's fairly harmonious here. The cats are smart enough to know which dogs to avoid, and which dogs they can safely play with. Even senior cats who've never seen dogs before quickly learn to adapt.

If you want to place the cat, please email me via my profile here and I'll try to hook you up with people who can help you out. Calling animal control on the cat is pretty much a death sentence, unfortunately, because so many city shelters are over-crowded. No-kill shelters are great but many of them are also filled to capacity. I may be able to help you find a private rescue.

If you decide to take the cat in as a pet, mention to your vet that it came from the street so it can be checked for a microchip. It should also be checked for its FIV/FeLV status. Neither illness is a threat to you or your dog, but they can affect whether or not you'd want to take in another cat in the future.
  7. sascha

sascha Member

sounds as though she/he is trying to adopt you. i would put food out. she may be very hungry. and water. she must need help. you could post flyers around, see if anyone calls. or call the nearest animal rescue shelters and leave inf.

my cat was living outside my aunt's apartment- very dirty, hungry- she finally started coming inside. my aunt died some time later and the cat chose me. she is just wonderful. a great little companion. makes me laugh. she has a nice home now and safety. she was being terrorized by the neighborhood cats for a time.

so i hope you will take care of her! Sascha