Cat's Claw, Goldenseal and Essaic Tea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hi all,

Getting soem anti virals into me so I can turn the tide on the assualt on my body's organs.

How effective is Cats claw and goldenseal and has anyone had experiences with it?

I have taken Essaic tea a few times and I found it really helps. I felt more energy and justall around "better" in days.
  2. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I take Devil's Claw everyday for joint pain! It really helps a lot. Also Goldenseal is good for colds and sinus.Never used the tea--what's it good for,energy?
    Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I never really know if anything helps or not but I keep taking them anyway.

Rosie
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Thanks for the help. :)

I am wondering what ant-viral I should start with first?

I am trying to avoid bad detoxing.
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

a form of cat's claw for borreliosis/lyme and other intracellular infections; I found it very powerful. The herxing was strong but now I am tolerating a much higher dose.

I only use echinacea at low doses since my IS is prone to going into overdrive. I went down with a nasty virus last weekend, so I took echinacea with goldenseal and olive leaf extract. I also used my standby: high doses of absorbic acid (vit c) and of course drank plenty of water.

IMHO we need to go beyond just taking antivirals by using alternative immune modualtors if necessary, and ensuring we excrete the bio toxins that occur as a result of die off.

love, Tansy

6. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

Do not take goldenseal for more than 7 days in a row, that goes for licorice too which is another excellent anti viral. goldenseal is not so much an anti viral as it is an anti bacterial agent from what I have read which is a fair bit.
    most books I have warn about taking those two supps for more than 7 days in a row.
    take care
    Mark
  7. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Goldenrod, thanks for that info

Tansy you said;"IMHO we need to go beyond just taking antivirals by using alternative immune modualtors if necessary, and ensuring we excrete the bio toxins that occur as a result of die off."

How do we do that? What do we take?
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

the non viral infections I have need to be treated as well.

I use noni extract, samento (treating borreliosis and other infections), also vitamin D that rebalances the immune response, natural anti-inflammatories, antimicrobials, and agents to control fibrin build up.

Various mushroom extracts and beta glucan act as immune modulators. In Chinese herbal medicine the Agaricus mushroom is now known to be the most potent immune modulator. Reishi spores are 7 times more potent as an immune system modulator than Reishi mushroom extract.

Astragalus enhances macrophage activity and reduces the activity of suppressor T-cells, however, it is not recommended for the later stages of lyme disease when stepania can be used instead.

Ginger, Ligustrum/Chinese Ligustrum/privet fruit, lovage root, Japanese knotweed, bioactive whey proteins, colostrum, lactoferrin, transfer factors, and aswagandha can act as immune modulators. There are other options as well. I tend to choose those which also help with the pathogens I’m aiming to treat, or those that help with other specific issues like various forms of inflammation and coagulation; turmeric for example helps with both of these.

Have you read Ken Lassesen’s web site on CFIDS? He has devised a for what it’s worth (FWIW) protocol for CFIDS which is worth considering. Many PWCs are doing well through either following Ken’s recommendations or opting for the individual agents they feel will help them most; he keeps it updated based on patient feedback.

love, Tansy
  9. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Great information. I'm going to look more into it and give it a try.

But I have a question, many of the herbs and mushrooms, etc I have heard help. Is there a product, or products that have many of these together?? Or do you have to buy them individually?[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

you might want to try one herb or treatment at a time. if you introduce too many variables at once you won't know what is helping or hurting.

peace,
    Beth.
  11. angelstarr

angelstarr New Member

I have started taking the Essiac concentrate about 5-6 weeks ago. Faithfully 1oz in am 1oz in pm. I think it has belped me. I have felt some better. about the 1/2 way mark I had a terrible week and was very depressed, and all I wanted to do was sleep. Since then I am much better with more energy and sleeping some better.

I have also added Valerian tea at night and a tincture called Deep Sleep. about 60 drops in a small amount of water. I am hopeful to get off some of these other heavy duty meds.

You can make the tea yourself which is much more cost effective. But I am basically very lazy at this point..LOL so I buy it prepared concentrate. You can PM me and I will send you my info for were to get it.

HUGS
    CHer
  12. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Even though there are some combinations that have a synergistic effect (Essiac), it is best to introduce one herb at a time to your system. Especially if you have sensitivities.

My absolute favorite Anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-infective, strengthening compound is Bee Propolis. NOT stressing to your system like Goldenseal, and stimulating to your own immune system. I like the Source Naturals brand, but there are also smaller companies who specialize in bee products that I think make good ones.

PROPOLIS is the waxy compound that bees line the inside of their hives with. It is amazing stuff.

Good Luck!
    L
  13. tansy

tansy New Member

with the others here; most of the time I buy the ingredients individually, just to be sure I can tolerate them. I also think we should start on very small doses because our bodies do not cope well with sudden changes or too much of a challenge. Having said that I now find combos work better for me; but got to this point through trial and error.

When it comes to natural antimicrobials I often cycle them, that’s how I finally made real headway with candida and leaky gut.

Goldenseal with Echinacea is said to work better than Echinacea on it’s own. Theoretically neither should be used for more than three weeks, after which there should be a break of either one or two weeks. I took berberine complex for three months without a break, it was the first agent to make a real difference to both my intestinal and systemic candida and other GI tract pathogens. Berberine complex contains goldenseal. Following that I used other plant extracts and cycled them. Several sources report Goldenseal can be used to for up to 8 weeks.

Both Echinacea and Goldenseal can stimulate the immune response, my immune system tends to go into overdrive so I use low doses, and only take them for a short while when I first go down with a new virus.

Astralagus is especially good for viruses and TH2 dominance; as with most plant extracts it is best cycled with other remedies, or regular breaks taken. It can help address the lowered suppressor T cells found in many of us and implicated in recent gene expression research by Drs Gow and Kerr in the UK.

Love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  14. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Interesting stuff. I thank you all. Going to try the good stuff from the bees!

May I ask what "cycling" means to you. Switching to a different herb/supplement for a while?

And for Tansy, I also have leaky gut. What did you take for it?
  15. tansy

tansy New Member

I’ve had so-called IBS for over 40 years, it started with severe GI tract infections when living overseas where the summers were hot and sanitation very poor. Raw sewerage was in the sea where we swam, we’d do our best to avoid the areas we knew were affected at any given time, but some of this came from ships illegally dumping their waste. Raw sewerage and human excrement was used as fertiliser to grow food.

I started by taking stronger probiotics than the ones I had been using; these contained more or different strains. Also HSOs ie Primal Defense or Nature’s Biotics for a while; and Lactobacillus Sporogenes a transitory probiotic that crowds out the baddies.

In the beginning I used comprehensive digestive enzymes, ones that break down everything we eat, made a noticeable difference too. I used these every time I ate, even if it was just a small snack. To begin with there were very few DEs I could tolerate, but I have more options now that my GI tract is less senstive.

50% IgG colustrum from Mary’s Herbal Garden was added because this can heal the bowel and helps us globally too; I was impressed with the difference this made. This product is more suitable for those for those with dairy intolerance. I was able to tolerate it better than most dairy based products but only for a limited time, fortunately by the time I needed to stop taking this product it had worked for me.

I used oil from a spoon to stimulate my bile flow, I started with just a small amount and built it up gradually. A comprehensive herbal remedy to treat my liver and gall bladder helped too. I still take a month's course of these periodically. Lemon water is good for this too.

Anti-infective herbs played a major role. I used quite a few including olive leaf extract (least effective), wild oregano oil, berberine complex, a product called “paraclens,” and grapefruit seed extract (the latter could only be tolerated towards the end of my protocol).

I took glutamine powder for a while, but was concerned over the glutamate problems some of us can have, so discontinued it.

Since I wanted to treat the gartitis as well I took mastic gum and the powder form of flora balance, a probiotic (SBO).

Getting our diets right can make a big difference and is important when treating leaky gut. Lollieboo has posted a topic on muscle testing at http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=643892&B=FM
    Energy testing will pick up undesirable foods, not just food intolerances and allergies, with leaky gut this is what we are looking for.

I started this protocol over 2 years ago and am still reaping the benefits now. I achieved an 80% improvement, but find I need to stay on top of it. It isn’t just candida that can create havoc in our GI tracts, other pathogens may be involved including parasites.

Yes that was what I meant when I wrote about cycling. I either take regular breaks from a particular herb, or change from one herbal remedy to another. That’s what I did after using the berberine complex; I took the other herbs in rotation afterwards. With regard to supps; what I take now is as a result of not needing some of them any more, ditching those that do not help or don’t suit me, or as result of understanding why changes or additions might be worthwhile.

Love, Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]