Causes of CFS How many Do YOU have??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, Feb 20, 2007.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Here are the known causes of CFS:

Look them over, and tell me, how many of these apply to YOU?

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

A definitive cause for CFS has not been determined, although it was first (in the early 1980s) thought to be caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, which causes mononucleosis, or other viruses such as herpes and polio. Scientists have discarded that theory and now believe that CFS may be an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system reacts (or overreacts) to a perceived threat (such as a virus) by attacking otherwise healthy tissues. That has led to CFS sometimes being referred to as chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome, or CFIDS.

CFS is a multi symptomatic condition. Not any single factor contributes to it. It is the result of a number of different factors. This also suggests that the treatment of CFS needs to be multidimensional to take care of the various causes. The majority of people who develop CFS have led exceedingly busy, productive, and often stressful lives. Many experts believe that CFS develops as a combined result of:

Nutritional deficiency: Poor diet, especially excessive sugar, caffeine, alcohol, or chronic nutrient deficiency.

Acquired toxicity (from environment, food, and drugs). A history of recurrent courses of antibiotics, NSAIDS, or other medications.

Poor stress-coping abilities. Adrenal exhaustion and low DHEA from chronic stress or following a serious illness

Acquired systemic infections (from excessive use of antibiotics causing candidiasis, parasite overgrowth, etc.)

Chronic infection-sinusitis, prostatitis, or dental abscesses

Inhalant and food allergies and sensitivities

Recurrent viral and bacterial infections (such as acne, sinusitis, cystitis)

The effect of vaccination and immunization on the immune system

Bowel toxemia and infestation of fungi, protozoa, and parasites

Lifestyle factors (inadequate exercise, sleep, and relaxation)

Significant emotional stress and/or excessive work

Hormonal imbalances (particularly in the thyroid)

Increased muscle tensions and breathing pattern changes (hyperventilation)

Genetic factors

Hypoglycemia

Clinical hypothyroidism

Alcohol, drug, and tobacco abuse

Chemical exposure or sensitivity (can be triggered by paints, refinishing oils, or other chemicals)

Mercury toxicity from amalgam dental fillings (they contain over 50 percent mercury)

Dysbiosis/leaky gut syndrome

Immune System

Many experts believe that a depressed level of immune function lies at the heart of CFS. There is considerable disagreement as to whether the immune system is the cause of CFS or is the result of CFS.

CFS and Heart Connection

A Johns Hopkins University study found that 22 out of 23 subjects with CFS suffered a drop in blood pressure and a marked slowing of the heart rate after standing for a prolonged period of time. The result was a feeling of dizziness and exhaustion that lasted for days after the study was concluded. Many patients in this study found their symptoms improved after their blood pressure was stabilized.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Biological Dentistry

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can be due, at least in part, to amalgam fillings in the teeth, which contain over 50 percent mercury, a highly toxic substance.

Viruses

A number of viruses have been implicated in CFS.

The herpes family of viruses (which includes the Epstein-Barr virus and oral and genital herpes viruses) has been a primary focus of interest. The Epstein- Barr virus (EBV), the cause of infectious mononucleosis, has received the most attention since its symptoms are duplicated in CFS sufferers, who also have very high EBV antibody levels.

According to National Institutes of Health (NIH) there is no clear-cut evidence that the Epstein-Barr virus, or any other virus, is the primary cause of CFS .NIH also reports that recent studies found that a drug called acyclovir, which blocks multiplication of the Epstein-Barr virus, is not effective on CFS patients.

It is possible that EBV is a major factor in CFS cases. But it is not the sole cause. It is possible that EBV might be reactivated due to other weaknesses in immune function. Other research has linked CFS to retroviruses, a group which includes the leukemia and AIDS viruses.

I have 13, plus now I have chronic EBV reactivation.

How do you rate???

Yours in Health,
    Bunny
  2. Kal-El

Kal-El New Member

Out of all of these, I'd say only genetic factors will be considered universally true for nearly everyone diagnosed with CFS. I believe that all the other factors either stem from these genetic factors or are simply triggers for an illness that could surface under any number of stressful events.

When you read about how everyone's illness began, it always starts with some sort of infection, car accident, trauma, etc. Sometimes it is abrupt, but sometimes it takes several months to fully develop. There doesn't seem to be anything univeral about all the factors involved in CFS either. Some people have hypoglycemia, allergies, high stress, etc, but none of these are ever the same in any two people.

That's why I believe that genetic predisposition is absolutely the most important factor of all...not the only one, but definitely the most important.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Nutritional deficiency: Poor diet, especially excessive sugar, caffeine, alcohol, or chronic nutrient deficiency.

* Nutrition always could be better for most of us. I feel better without sugar or caffeine. Alcohol never a problem.

Acquired toxicity (from environment, food, and drugs).

* Not aware of this.

A history of recurrent courses of antibiotics, NSAIDS, or other medications.

* No

Poor stress-coping abilities.

* Too much stress prior to illness

Adrenal exhaustion and low DHEA from chronic stress or following a serious illness

* Probably prior to illness, yes after illness (although it's gotten better with attention over time.)

Acquired systemic infections (from excessive use of antibiotics causing candidiasis, parasite overgrowth, etc.)

* Result rather than cause. Not due to antibiotics.

Chronic infection-sinusitis, prostatitis, or dental abscesses

* Sinusitis result of illness. No dental abscesses.

Inhalant and food allergies and sensitivities

* Food allergies emerged (or became more noticeable) after illness.

Recurrent viral and bacterial infections (such as acne, sinusitis, cystitis)

* Sinusitis (fungal and bacterial). Chlamydia pneumoniae. Both probably result of illness.

The effect of vaccination and immunization on the immune system

* Hepatitis B vaccine about 18 months before illness.

Bowel toxemia and infestation of fungi, protozoa, and parasites

* Apparent result of illness.

Lifestyle factors (inadequate exercise, sleep, and relaxation)

* Problem before illness

Significant emotional stress and/or excessive work

* Problem before illness

Hormonal imbalances (particularly in the thyroid)

* Apparent result of illness

Increased muscle tensions and breathing pattern changes (hyperventilation)

* Difficulty with deep breathing after illness

Genetic factors

*Yes

Hypoglycemia

* Minor problem. (Not a problem without sugar)

Clinical hypothyroidism

* After illness;.

Alcohol, drug, and tobacco abuse

* No

Chemical exposure or sensitivity (can be triggered by paints, refinishing oils, or other chemicals)

* Sensitivity after illness.

Mercury toxicity from amalgam dental fillings (they contain over 50 percent mercury)

* Mild toxicity measured at beginning of illness, apparently resolved now.

Dysbiosis/leaky gut syndrome

* Yes, apparently as result of illness.

Immune System

Many experts believe that a depressed level of immune function lies at the heart of CFS. There is considerable disagreement as to whether the immune system is the cause of CFS or is the result of CFS.

* Yes

CFS and Heart Connection

A Johns Hopkins University study found that 22 out of 23 subjects with CFS suffered a drop in blood pressure and a marked slowing of the heart rate after standing for a prolonged period of time. The result was a feeling of dizziness and exhaustion that lasted for days after the study was concluded. Many patients in this study found their symptoms improved after their blood pressure was stabilized.

* Yes, after illness

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Biological Dentistry

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can be due, at least in part, to amalgam fillings in the teeth, which contain over 50 percent mercury, a highly toxic substance.

4. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

I have all but one ( alcohol,drugs or tobaco use )
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you for that, Bunny.

I wonder where that list came from and how old it is. I think it should include the latest discoveries by Dr. Shoemaker, that CFS can be caused by chronic neurotoxin poisoning from Lyme bacteria or mold toxins or pfisteria or ciguatera.

It's interesting trying to sort out the causes and the effects of CFS in the list you posted. That has always been the challenge with this illness!

I have spent 18 years thinking that the virus I came down with at the beginning of my CFS was somehow the cause of it. Now I'm beginning to think that the virus was just a reactivation of mono I'd had before, and that it was caused by my immune system being damaged by mold toxin exposure.

So now I'm looking at viruses as an effect of CFS instead of as a cause! It's pretty wild! But regardless of why one gets them, I know they still have to be dealt with.

Forebearance

[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2008]
  6. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

I got pneumonia about 5 years ago, and looking back, everything started to go down hill, health wise, for me after that. Every year after that, I used up all my personal and vacation days at work being sick. Previously I rarely was sick at all (man, I was a real workhorse back then!). The CFIDS symptoms came on slowly but surely after the pneumonia, but I, of course, didn't know that is what it was. I tried to ignore it as much as I could at first, refusing to believe there could be anything "really wrong". It took about 5 years to develop to the point where I just could not work anymore.

I was diagnosed with severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea 3 years ago, which took me out for 4 months. Looking back, it was probably part of the CFIDS progression, because even after I was treated with CPAP and was eventually able to get back to work, my energy level never fully recovered and started going down again around 6 months later while recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery, eventually turning into full blown CFIDS.

I have thought right along since being diagnosed that these things were probably connected, and my current doctor also believes that. Dr. Paul Cheney's theories on the causes and progression of CFIDS also seem to bear this out.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2008]
  7. pasara

pasara New Member

My CFS followed a physical trauma, when I was hit by a car and received head, neck and back injuries. My acute symptoms became chronic. I am surprised not to see physical trauma on this list, as it is often cited as a cause/trigger. I will say chronic stress added to the situation, and that is on the list. But the accident was the final blow.
  8. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Update:

I (also) have Lyme Disease, which was a major contributor to my CFS symptoms. The cause of most of my immune system problems.

I guess that could be catagorized as "aquired systemic infections".

Suffice it to say that we have many underlying issues, some easily resolved, some not easily resolved.

What a difference a year has made for me!!

Treat what you can, and by all means, treat yourselves well!

Bunny
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I noted in early 2007 that I didn't think I had any acquired toxicity.

Now I think that my illness is totally caused by toxicity, including:

* Toxins made by poison mold
    * Toxins made by lyme
    * Toxins my body was unable to remove due to defects related to methylation/glutathione

I suspect there may be other toxicity problems too. I wish I knew what they were if I have them, so that I could address them.

Obviously I have a lot of other problems such as those on the list above.

Fortunately, most seem to be resolving as I address the toxicity.
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oh yeah, Lisa, that's a really good way of putting it!

Forebearance
  11. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Very interesting!

Though in my case, I've had CFS for 37+ years and can answer 'No' to all.