Caution: Heating Pads

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have 2nd degree burns on my back from my heating pad.

You probably are asking why I didn't feel it burn??? Well, I've always had a lot of pain in my lower back and evidently the pain in the lower back was worse than the pain from the heating pad and I never even noticed it.

Please me careful if you use a heating pad. My back is a mess. In addition to the 2nd degree burns, I have a funny "mottled" look to the skin where you can see the damage that has been caused from long term use.

I use to sit here on the couch morning and night with my heating pad on my lower back. Now I have to use a hot water bottle and I have to tell you... I WANT MY HEATING PAD!!!!

I look at my poor little heating pad and know it didn't mean to hurt me, but my brother told me if he found the heating pad he'll through it out.

Just a warning for ya!
    Tigger
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Does that mean you can never use a heating pad again? My mom had that happen before but she got over it.

She went back to using the pad but makes sure not to put it on the high setting. (Even if you just put it on "warm" in the future).

Hope you are feeling better...

3. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have to keep my heating pad on medium because high is hot enough to burn... I use my heating pad way to much anyway. My kids like to use it to get their feet warm, So we do have to be careful with it. Thanks for the warning because its easy to get addicted to using a heating pad.
    Angela
  4. patches25

patches25 New Member

I made 2 covers for my heating pad. One cover is a piece of heavy blanket and the outer piece is of terry cloth. Both covers are on at the same time. I always leave my pad on low setting and it feels comfortable and I have never had a burn. I like that soft gentle heat. E.
  5. malinta

malinta New Member

I too have a 2nd degree burn on the hip from my heating pad. It left a silver dollar size blister on my skin, that has since turned into a nasty looking permanent, raised scar.

I never felt it burning my skin and have since tossed it out.

Tigger hope you are feeling better.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your burns on your back due to the heating pad. I'm like you, I am always sitting in my recliner with the heating pad on my low back--for hours sometimes. In fact, the skin on my low back is permanently light red due to the heat--I'm sure I've had a light burn on it, too.

I've also used a heating pad in my chiropractor's office called Thermophore or Thermocore that will only heat if you manually push a button in and keep it pushed in, once you let your finger off the button, it goes off -- it's a safety thing so you can't burn yourself. They are about $35.00

I worked with a lady who also feel asleep with a heating pad on her leg and severly burned it.

They can be dangerous. I appreciate your caution warning.

Hope your burn gets better soon.

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

So sorry to hear about the problems you are having because of the heating pad, but this is an important message for all of us because I'm sure we all use heating pads for our pain. Get well and healed!

L, Jeannette
  8. deb06

deb06 New Member

I couldn't live without my heating pad, even though I have burnt and frostbit myself. I just use an automatic shutoff type and dont' put it on high. You can use it- but be careful. let yourself heal first though i think. deb
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I've been using a hot moist heat.
    I fold up a thinner type bath towel, get it damp and microwave it for about 4 min., then wrap it up in a thicker bigger bath towel.
    I love it!
    also feels REALLY good on face when in pain!!

Hope you heal up soon!

P.s. kinda hard to discribe how i fold it all up, but i could try if anyones interested. Or just use good ole, trial and error.
  10. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

will cool off with time so if you fall asleep you don't have to worry about getting burned. I fell asleep on an electric pad years ago and wound up with a blister the size of a ping pong ball. I learned to never do that again. That was when my daughter was born and I was still feeling a bit of lower back pain from the delivery.
  11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I use one that you Microwave, for about 1 and a half mins, holds the heat in for half an hour.
    It has it's own sleve, so it won't Burn you, but I still wrap a towel around it, them unwrap as it cools down.
    I fall asleep sometimes with it around my neck, like one of thoes Neck braces, only this one feels goood. ;o)

I also do the Towel thing, I use Handtowels, and then knuke them for about 2 mins, wrap in a Bathtowel, but again you need to be careful, because you can Burn your self that way too.
    I don't feel things do to Nerve damage, so it's easy for me to burn my self, even with the Tap water.

My DH bought me the Tube Heating Pad at a Pharmacy, but you can also make them with Rice and a Tube sock.
    Lot's of folks use that method too.

SOrry you got Burned, hope you feel better,
    sharonk
  12. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

Also be careful with heating pads because after so much use, the wiring in them (from bending them, etc.) will short out. That happened to me a few years ago while I was using it. All of a sudden I started smelling something burning (like wiring) and I heard it shorting out and it started smoking. Had I been asleep, it would have caught on fire. So please be very very careful. Replace your heating pads regularly.

"Bee"
  13. 121043

121043 New Member

My heating pad almost burned my bed up. I was not using it ,but it was still on just laying on my bed. If the door had been shut the house would have caught on fire,I just happened to be sitting where I could see the glow in the room. Burned a quilt my grandma had made 50 years ago ,broke my heart,but at least I was not asleep may not be alive had I been. The flames were almost to the ceiling when I noticed there was a fire in my room.Took an hour to clear the smoke. so please be careful with your pad, they feel really good but are so very dangerous.
    Loretta
  14. marw

marw New Member

I notice my heating pad has a tear in the plastic of the cord almost to the wire. Best to get another one.

I also wonder if the heat pad is what is drying my feet out so much that they crack? This is he first year I used it all night on my feet....I must say it works....no more crawling about in the morning because my feet hurt so much....but it is a trade-off. I have tried everything on these cracked feet...lotions, vaseline, Vit. e oil, Aloe, you name it with soft socks over it at night. STill a problem. maybe I have a fungus, however....you can pick these up sometimes if you go bare foot in a doc's office or at a health club.

btw: my heat pad does go off automatically after an hour or so....not sure...but has automatic "Off" button.

Thanks for the warning!

margaret
  15. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Santa brought me a new one for Christmas and it is an extra long one with automatic shut off. I like it much better than my other one. My dog has the older one, but I have been thinking about getting him one like mine too when he lays on the floor next to my bed. He has arthritis in his back legs & hips. But I do see him lay all sorts of ways with it. I make sure his is on low.
  16. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Back when I first got sick. Somewhere in the first two years, I would get so cold and be in so much pain that I would sit with the heating pad on, anywhere it hurt. I ended up with a burn that I still have the scar from to this day. Ever since then, I'm much more careful with heating pads and rarely use one.
  17. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I never use mine except on the LOW setting, but even on low, it's pretty warm. So I can imagine what a HIGH setting could do to you, especially if you fall asleep on it, as many of us do.

Good advice!

Hugs,
    Pam
  18. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I have a Thermophore Heating pad, must be purchased from a medical supply or pharmacy. It works great, and you have to hold the button and if you let go it goes off, so no burns by falling asleep. It is a moist heat and very good for pain. A little pricy, depending on what size you buy, but the safety of the thing going off is good. Pat
  19. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have one of those long ones and it turns itself off after 20 minutes. I use it on med, my DH uses it on high. Since it turns itself off, I don't worry about it much.

I do pay attention to the shape of the pad. You really have to be careful that they aren't getting worn out. If it is, toss it and get a new one!

I see those commercials for the stick on ones. I've used them and they work, but I had trouble getting it to stay where I wanted it and sometimes the adhesive gives me trouble.

I worry about the commercials for those because they show them cut the cord off a heating pad. You know there are people out there who would do it!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  20. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

I would need a heating pad for my hand if I had to hold a button down all the time!

I bought a gel one that you heat in the microwave. I love it. It works well in the small of my back and under my neck when I am lying down.