caution on medication combo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momkatmax, May 16, 2003.

1. momkatmax

momkatmax New Member

Just a caution on a medication combo.

I was prescribed Effexor (antidepressant)twice a day to help the pain. It does help a little, but still needed pain meds. The doctor wanted me to use Ultram which seemed to be ok for mild-moderate days. I started to have myoclonic jerking when drifting off to sleep, which sure does not help your sleep pattern. I thought it was just being FM until I used a drug interaction checker and found there is a moderate caution that the combo of Effexor and Ultram will lower seizure threshold! Even though I do not have epilepsy, I stopped the Ultram and immediatly the jerking at night stopped. I would think that this combo would be very problematic for people with epilepsy.

2. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Thank for the info. I am about to start Effexor. Does it help with sleep at all?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Klonopin actually stops the misfiring of the neurons in the brain which cause seizure activity. It allows the brain to slip slightly into the coma state require for quality sleep which is normal. This is why it is so useful for those with RLS. For me, it has also helped my anxiety/panic attacks, tinnitus, and sensory overload. There is some evidence that it also helps disrupt the pain signals in the brain.

Love, Mikie
  4. momkatmax

momkatmax New Member

Hi there,

No, the Effexor didn't help me with sleep, however I think it does help the muscle stiffness enough for me to stay on it. Pain-wise it is a mild help. My doc wanted me to take THREE per day and that made me like three shots of whisky.

I do take one in am and one at night.

Hope it works!
  5. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Thanks for responding. It's good to have help from others who have taken the same medication.
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I take Effexor XR (extended release) in the morning. I take Klonopin and Neurontin with it and also Benadryl as needed. Oddly enough one of the side effects of Effexor is myoclonus. The doctors had reduced my Klonopin, but had to take it back up when this reaction started - it really helps with the myoclonus.

Another precaution/interaction with Effexor is Sudafed, Actifed or any other cold remedy with pseudoephedrine in it.
    Also, Tagamet (cimetidine), Valium (diazepam) and Haldol (haloperidol).

Thank you for the "heads-up"
    Lane