Cautiously optimistic on SSD again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

When I read a recent post by someone else here concerning contacting their state vocational rehab about job evaluation, I decided to try that with the local office of the Texas Vocational Rehab here, yesterday. It was the best thing I have done so far, in this ssd journey, I think.

I got a very nice counselor who asked me why I wanted to go through the evaluation process. I explained that when I applied for SSD, the denial letter said that, in their opinion, although I was too disabled to ever return to my former line of work, I should be able to be retrained in another field, so I was calling to see about how the evaluation process worked for finding what I was physically able to do.

She asked me what my physical disabilities and limitations are. I gave her the whole picture. Fortunately (and amazingly), she was very informed about FMS, CMP, Meniere's, and bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. I also told her that once I leave the house, I have to use my scooter, and that I cannot stand or sit for longer than a few minutes in the same position.

When she heard all of this, she said outright that there was no way I would be able to endure the 2 days of evaluation, each day being 6 hours long, with only one short break. She stated that I was non-employable by State standards and that there was absolutely no kind of job in the State's database that I would be able to do.

Then she offered me the name of a local attorney who specializes in SSD cases, like mine, that are particularly challenging. She said that she felt that I should be on disability and thought that this attorney would be of help.

So, I called the attorney and was amazed when, after interviewing me by phone, he said that he would like to begin work on my case now, and not wait for another denial of the reconsideration request (which is what I have been working on for the last month to submit). I felt like a great weight fell off my shoulders when he said that, because another attorney I had called a couple weeks ago told me he does not like to get involved until the second denial has been received and that I should file the reconsideration paperwork myself.

Anyway, I have an appointment with this new attorney (he is coming to my house next week) to get everything started -- and he will do the reconsideration form for me, and track down all the records, too. He sounds like the pitbull-type of attorney that I have been looking for, like he enjoys a challenge and like the SS system does not scare him at all. At least, that is what I hope. :)
  2. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

That is the best news that I have heard in days about SSD. I got my turn down letter just yesterday. I have an appointment with my lawyer in a couple of weeks. This was my first denial and even though I had expected it I was still crushed by all the B.S. they said in the letter.
    Thanks for the lift in spirit!!!!

Have a great day!
    Hugs,
    Jeanna