CBC Levels

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Mar 24, 2012.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I would like to know if anyone else has had this same problem. For the last 4 to 5 years, blood continues to run low. I suppose anemia is a better term. My dr has put me on iron for awhile, then takes me off, checks it and it's fine. Then, a month or 2 later, I begin to get tired, go to my dr. and same thing. Over and over and I want the problem fixed permanently! A couple of months ago, the level was 11.4, so close. Now, it's 8.5 and boy do I feel it. I did have a colonsocopy and it was normal. However, I haven't had an upper GI. I would think my dr would order that. It's obvious I'm losing blood somewhere but have no idea where.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

2. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

There are many reasons for being anemic. The first one doctors look at, as you mentioned, is losing blood through your GI system. Perhaps your problem is not with losing blood, but with not generating enough RBCs in the first place, as is the case with many of us with various auto-immune disorders.

The initial signals to produce RBCs come from the bone marrow. Having a compromised immune system can interfere with any one of the many steps in the lengthy process of RBC production and lead to anemia. How does your other blood work look? (Bilirubin, Creatine, etc.) Any numbers that are off should indicate a place for your Dr. to start looking.

If your Dr. can't give you any answers I'd ask for a referral and in the meantime start asking around. I don't know your medical history, but maybe a Hemotologist, Rheumatologist, or just a good DO or Internist would be helpful. Good luck!
  3. spacee

spacee Member

You don't say how old you are or female. But I had a hysterectomy because
    of anemia.

The docs would never suggest it but my brother, a MD, said "have it". Once
    he said it, then the others got on board.

Of course, you may be really young and don't want to have it (if female).
    I guess the other choice "might" be BC pills. On the other hand, many
    of us have bad effects on the Pill.

Just some things to think about.

4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Angela,

Thank you so much for responding. You have given me some ideas that I had not thought about. All of the other bloodwork looks fine, however, I do have thyroid problems, and also trouble with immune system.

It was actually my Rheumatologist that had the bloodwork done and found that I was anemic. I suppose I should go back and see him. Most of what my family doctor does IS bloodwork, and prescribe my synthroid.

Thank you so much for the information. It's so nice to be able to ask questions to those who relate to the same health issues or just to know about them. It was so nice of you to respond.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Leah,

Thank you for responding. Yes, that is actually a great idea! The iron med that the dr. put me on has a sticker on the bottle that says, do not take with eggs, dairy products, cereals, and wheat bread.

I probably DO need to change my eating habits; they aren't very good. I eal a lot; just not the right things; like greens, etc. the healthy foods.

Again, thank you so much Leah! You have helped so very much!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you for responding Spacee! I am a female but no longer have the cycles. That was a tough time for me, going through that. It started in my 40's and lasted about 10 years. The hot flashes were terrible! Unfortunately, I had a choice; take hormone replacement or deal with the hot flashes. Well, I just could NOT deal with the hot flashes so I took the hormone pills for a while. Finally, I got over all of that and I hope it NEVER comes back! I don't mean to scare you if you haven't gone through this; most women make it ok; I was one that had the problems. I never had a hysterectomy though. But I am not on anything for that.

I am on other medications as I have lower back problems. I take an anti-inflammatory pill after dinner every day.

Thank you so much for the information; from you and Leah!

Everyone here has been so nice in answering and helping me with this. I hope I can do the same for all of you if needed.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

7. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have not heard of doing a hysterectomy due to anemina. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 34 yr old,but it was due to all the female problems I had been having over my life.

I had several years of female problems before my doctor would even think of doing surgery. I hope that you are ok now. I was on BC pills and even when thru the darn shots that stop your periods. {hated them I gained 70 lbs in less than 6 months never been able to lose them either} I was also on hormones for a few years but they gave me strange side effects too.

I know that I had a medical reason for such drastic surgery as a total abdominal hysterectomy with the removeal of both tubes, ovaries, uterus, and appendix.{Doctor said he was going to remove it just so they didn't have to go back in if it went bad and apparently it was not a healthy appendix}
    I started out young having leg aches and nasty female problems as soon as I was old enough to have periods.

I don't know if the leg aches and the period problems started my fibro or if it was due to the death of my Dad just 9 days before I turned 13yrs. I have heard that a severe trauma can lead to getting fibro. Don't know for sure but I have had my fair share of trauma's and female problems.

Thankfully I was blessed with three daughters before I had to have the hysterectomy.

I know that this is off the topic but I wanted to add my two cents worth.