((cbs1234 and Hidn))) abx lyme treatment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen102, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

I am considering starting antibiotics treatment for lyme disease. It scares me, but I don't want to continue to deteriorate. I have seen your warnings about abx treatment. Could you provide a summary of what your concerns are and possibly some research cites so I can learn more?

I am trying to make an intelligent informed decision, and also listen to that small voice inside. Right now, I am very uncertain. Thanks for any help you can provide--others too, if you have advice. Blessings to you. Jen102
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Have you checked out Lymenet.org? Some are taking antibiotics, some are doing Stephen Buhner's protocol with herbs, others are doing Rife machine, there's also Salt and Vit C (Marshall Protocol), and many are having success with these different protocols.

I personally stopped the abx after 6 months. It felt way too toxic for me. For others it has worked fine. Right now I'm doing the Rife machine and am in a much better frame of mind. I know its working because I herx for a couple of days afterwards and then have some good days following that. My husband is an engineer so he built me one as they can get expensive.

I will probably alternate the machine with 6 weeks of the herbs mentioned above and a few other options I'm looking into.

Lymenet has been a wonderful website for me. If I were you I would go over there and spend a lot of time searching these different protocols and see how people are doing on them.

Sandy
  3. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

do you get most of your info on lymenet from the medical literature, or from other people's posts? Jen102
  4. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

I only want to caution folks before they run out and start taking antibiotics on a long term basis. Sometimes the proposed cure can be much worse than the problem it is trying to correct. All antibiotics, and all drugs for that matter, come with potentially harmful or even deadly side effects. You need to weigh the risk versus reward. Do you personally know of anyone cured of lyme by antibiotics? I know a few that took the abx for long periods for lyme that ended up with side effects and no cure for the lyme. I know of no one personally that has been cured of lyme by abx. I know one woman whose doc told her that she definitively had lyme based on lab tests and he would cure her with abx. She took them for a year and developed life threatening colon problems and the "lyme" problems never got better. Subsequently, she was told she never had lyme.

As for me, I took an antibiotic called levaquin. It is from the family of fluoroquinolones including cipro, avelox, tequin, floxin, etc. These are atomic bombs and should never be used lightly. They come with nasty side effects. Just do a quick search of medical literature and you will see that they cause severe nerve damage in many people and severe joint and tendon damage in others. I was lucky and got hit by both nerve damage and tendon damage all over my body. Left with FMS like pain 4.5 years later.

Be careful.
  5. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I'd have to say both. People post real good articles on there plus their own experiences are great information.

Sandy
  6. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Actually, yes quite a few have been in remission from using abx as they've asked that very question on Lymenet.

Then there are many who have gone from one abx to another year after year and think they are well only for it to come back full strength at a later date.

Lyme does take different shapes and forms and if its in its cystic form abx cannot touch it. That's why I believe healing from lyme disease has to cover all bases, a good diet so candida yeast isn't flourishing, detoxing, heavy metal detox (there's been a lot of discussion about amalgams on lymenet by GiGi who is very knowledgeable on the subject), getting plenty of rest, treating hormone deficiencies, boosting adrenals -- there's probably more but I can't think of them.

Different things work for different people. The way I feel right now, using abx is like chemo for cancer. It may be killing the lyme but its also very hard on the immune system.

That's why I'm going to use more alternative protocols.

Sandy
  7. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

for your input. I need to get to work and do the research. Ugh. It just seems that things are so unclear. In another 10 years, things will be clearer, but i can't wait that long.

You have encouraged me to do the research, and talk it over with my doc. I will do that. I will ask about the potential side-effects/safety of each antibiotic, and seek to chose the safest. I will look into alternatives or adjuncts to the abx. I am somewhat familiar with these already, but need to boost my education.

I do have a leg up on the nutrition, hormones, sleep issues, etc., and also anti-candida diet (and gluten/dairy free--can't tolerate), so this should be a good start.

Won't know if I can tolerate any antibiotics until I try them as I am very sensitive to meds and have reacted to antibiotics in the past.

Blessings to you. Thanks for your help. Jen102

Thanks for your help. Jen102