Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Mar 9, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

trying to find this for my son in pinehurst NC. He is going to a phsyciatrist and the licensed psycologist was looking on wikepedia for answers about severe anxiety and GAD.
    How do you find it for him I am trying I think he needs a combination right now.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would be very wary about going to a psychologist who uses Wikipedia for information nor the fact that he does not know about anxiety.

At the very least, if he is uninformed about this issue, he should be consulting with someone who does know.

This is really weird as anxiety is an issue that a lot of people have.

Take care.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

He will start on zoloft tomorrow the phsyciatrist is giving him that.
    The pyscologist sucks and have not talk to anyone who has this problem that has had GAD and severe anxiety. He does make it worse by awfulizing. I am going to look up the EFT. He is 28 and suffers terribly with social anxiety his wife is about to give up i think that would be the last straw for him. Did you have worry the time you wake up till the time you go to bed? He cannot hold down a job and wants to because he thinks people are judging him. Everything I have read this goes with it.
    He has even got to the point lately about he does not want to live like this anymore. I did not take that lightly and got him to the physciatrist.
    Did the zoloft help? He has been on all of them and gained a lot of weight of course wife hates that also. Since she stays naturally skinny
    Just trying to get answers and you are helping.
    Isnt that scary that the licensed physcologist had to look up social phobia and GAD on wikepedia.
    The pysciatrist did not mention another physcologist and I told her about him looking on the internet.
    He just had his first baby and her fourth. She is 37 and says terrible things to him and the baby.
    I am going to get him to record and video her in the house. She wants more child support to live in her nice house that my son did buy for her.
    Hope that will hold up in court
    Take care sorry for the venting
    Has zoloft been the best ad for you? also do you take the generic
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You said he is going to a psychiatrist and the licensed psychologist was looking up stuff...Do you mean that he is seeing a psychiatrist for meds and that a psychologist in the same office was trying to find someone who can use CBT with your son, or do you mean that the psychiatrist and psychologist are one and the same? I'm asking bc there a big differences between the two....generally a psychiatrist is there to prescribe meds and that's pretty much it....he might be able to give referrals to others for counseling, etc, but he is not going to be the one doing the counseling, etc.

It would not surprise me at all to learn that a psychiatrist does not know how to do CBT or even knows how to do so, but does not use it. However, a psychologist, unless he is strictly from a Freudian perspective or a few other perspectives that do not use CBT (and it's rare to find that anymore....most psychologists are more eclectic - they use a variety of different types of therapy) should know how to do it and should be willing to try it with your son. If he is not comfortable with it, it's good that he is willing to admit that, though.

That said, I do find it very suspect that he is using Wikipedia to try to find someone. Most good therapists have some referrals on hand to be able to give out. You should be able to get a list of counselors and psychologists and even social workers in your area, and then all you have to do is call them and ask if they are trained to use CBT. They should also be willing to do an initial consult for little or no charge so that you can meet them and see if you and your son are comfortable with them. If your current psychologist or psychiatrist cannot give you some names, your phone book or an online mental health referral service would be other ppossibel sources....or maybe your insurance, depending on your coverage.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You must have psoted your last response while I was writing my answer....sounds like he is seeing both a psychiatrist and a psychologist, and the psychologist was looking up how to treat his anxiety on Wiki? If that's rt, you need to find a new psychologist for sure. I have no idea how he even got licensed if he doesn't know how to treat anxiety, what CBT is and how to use it, and also not to trust Wiki for treatment info....that is scary....seriously, I don't know exactly what the licensing requirements are for your state, but in most states, he would never have gotten thru school without learning that, let alone been able to acquire a license.....I would think about asking him a bit more about his license and possibly even reporting this to the board....unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how to contact them,bc each state is different, but if you find out who it is thru, they should have a site online.....no psychologist who doesn't know how to treat anxiety should be practicing....esp if your son is at all suicidal - he is literally putting his life in the hands of an incompetent supposed professional

there are certainly things that come up in therapy that a therapist might have to research - no therapist can be an expert in every area, and being willing to find new ways to treat someone is a good quality, however, like I said, anxiety is something that every therapist should know a lot about...it is one of the most common things he will have to treat....and doing professional research on Wiki is way wrong.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2009]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Feeling Good" is the seminal book on CBT. There is also a workbook.

The author says it is not enough to read the book. One has to do the

Good luck

7. hensue

hensue New Member

He is going off the pristiq and going on zoloft today a very small dosage.
    He called me despondent and nothing to live for, has a new baby girl she will never love him and constantly worrying what he is going to do for a living with this severe anxiety. I tried to comfort him and told him we loved him he has tried so many AD he is giving up. So I called his physciatrist and the recep. told her about how is was acting. She called him and he talked to her and she wanted to know how he was feeling and told him he would get better. Thank you God for someone helping me right now. He told the wife to give him an ativan and one half he does not dispense it or know where it is and doesnt want to know.
    She gave him the zoloft and ativan and talked to his wife. So we will go from here. A grown man sobbing and i cannot help him he thinks his life is over and he doesnt want to live with all this constant anxiety and worry. She told the wife not to hesitate to call her.
    So that is where we are right now he started at 25 mg generic zoloft.
    How do you test for the amount of seritonin in you and what level should it be at? He has gained so much weight but I am not worrying about that now. His wife does which cannot help if she is naturally skinny
    So i am going to write all of it down day by day. If he could get some self worth or self esteem that would help.
    I appreciate all your help today was a bad one, I am just thankful we have some one in our corner now.
    Thank you and please keep in touch did I do this to my child i was very critical and never new how shy he was and sensitive.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sorry you are going through such a rough time.

Hopefully the zoloft will help with the depression. Zoloft also helps with OCD, which would mean obsessive thoughts which he appears to be having.

This will certainly help with his self esteem which depression can wreck. When I was depressed even the little things would bother me. As my depression lifted, I found these things did not bother me as much.

Take care.

9. sascha

sascha Member

i feel so for you, your son, your family during this time. our children hurting is the hardest thing for a mother to bear. may it be the opening for your son to get into the healing work that will bring him back. i wish very good outcome to you and your family. sascha
  10. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

It's hard to tell which is worse from reading this, the anxiety or the depression, but if the anxiety has taken over, no progress can be made until the anxiety is relieved.

CBT is a wonderful technique, but you can't do much cognition if you're frightened 24x7. The SSRIs can help with anxiety, but not always, and sometimes they make anxiety worse. THAT SAID, I would NOT go off the SSRIs since severe depression is present as well.

Some people can be on SSRIs only for long-term maintenance of anxiety disorders. Not everyone can, though. If this were my (adult) child, I would urge the doctors to prescribe Xanax. I don't say that lightly, because it is difficult to withdraw from (BTDT have the hospital gown for proof). After stabilising I would recommend that he wean to Klonopin and long-term, see if he needs the Klonopin.

My heart goes out to all involved. I can say I was as anxious and hopeless at one point in my life and the doctors didn't handle things well. I am so much better now but honestly do not think I could have broken the anxiety cycle without Xanax.
  11. hensue

hensue New Member

Thank you so much for the comments yesterday was hard I dont lose weight easy and already lost 2 lbs. He does have ativan but he does not even want to know where it is. The doctor lets the wife dispense it to him when need that is what they did yesterday. I know one thing I feel like with son back from Afghanistan and having back door draft and stop loss. He has a year off and suppose to be out March 2010 already got orders he is going for a year in Afghanistan in January. All they talk about are army suicides which i know they happen i seem him a lot when I go to Fort Campbell Ky. All I know is life is good so far today and I feel like a truck ran over me. That is ok though as long as things are better. I am so happy I dont know if it was the ativan getting a good night sleep or starting on zoloft. His voice is not in despair he just sent a pic of the baby and the trees blooming in back yard.
    Thank you God
    All of you are my support for some reason my son in the Army doesnt understand this. MY husband it makes him mad he loves him but cannot deal with it. His work he has all he can deal with.
    So you are it and really appreciate you being there for me and him.
    I think the doc is just trying to get him stable on one med like zoloft, pristiq was not a good drug for him.
    He has had klonopin before and it makes him forget things and kinda bitchy.
    The ativan seems to help calm him.
    I see a lot of people have had some rough times and I am so sorry but I can learn or we can learn from you so much.
    Thanks again
  12. hensue

hensue New Member

He is the one having the problem the younger. So reading this back sounds like mumbo jumbo.

LISALOO New Member

also remember, serotonin has to be in relation to the other neurotransmiters. Your serotonin might be fine but the other "mood neurotransmitters" must be in the correct proportion with each other.