CD-57

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by elliespad, Apr 12, 2010.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Several years ago, my CD-57 levels were below range, don't remember just what they were. Years later, when mentioning this to my PCP, he said CD-57 could be low for other reasons. Didn't say what those reasons were. But,,I had read that low CD-57 levels could be indicative of Lyme disease.

On, page 8 of Advanced Topics of Lyme (http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf) it states "It can even be
    used as a simple, inexpensive screening test, because at this point we believe that only Borrelia will depress
    the CD-57."

Does anyone know of any reason, other than Lyme Borrelia, to explain low CD-57 levels?

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I do not know what other illnesses may lower the CD 57. Not everyone with Lyme has a low CD 57, but many do.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/gingersavely/everything%20you%20always%20wanted.html
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I have never run across another condition causing low CD 57 count in the past 4 years. I do know that mine was 30 and I felt like garbage. Then it went up to 70 and I felt better. Now it's 102 and I feel great. My doc would like to see 120+.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I can't find anything searching online to explain low CD-57 levels. Munch, would you meet me in Lyme Chatroom so I can ask some questions? I'll be around until Noon today, then probably not back on until much later.
  5. chaps

chaps New Member

I'm in the same state of confusion as you about this. They say that Borrelia Burgdorferi is the only thing that can lower CD-57 levels, but this test can not be used as a failsafe diagnostic tool. If that ain't a mixed message, I don't know what is. Either it's the only thing that can depress the level, or it's not. To me, it's a black and white issue, but they're making it a gray area. I guess that means that they're really not sure.
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

A couple weeks ago, I went to a viewing of the Lyme Documentary "Under Our Skin". Dr. B from New York was there for question and answer session afterwards. We submitted questions on paper, during the movie. I asked if anything other than Lyme would lower CD57 levels, and he commented NO, nothing else will lower CD57. So there we have it, straight from a LLMD mouth.

He also gave another test that was pretty accurate for diagnosing and for monitoring treatment progress but can't think of what it was. I have some notes I took and will look for it in a day or two.