CDC and CFS Gene Connection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, May 26, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I found the CDC study of the CFS gene connection interesting, but a little difficult to understand

I guess what they are saying is that they did a study on CFS patients and found that CFS patients have gene mutation??? that doesn't allow the CFS patients to handle stressors (either physical, mental or environmental)

I have ALWAYS thought that my CFS is because I my inability to handle stress.

I have been under stress since I was about 9 years old - abusive parents, extremely stressful career, child that died.

Does that mean that if we would take a tranquilizer or other calming med that we might have less symptoms?

I notice when I take Klonopin, I have better days, but not all the time
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I also found that study kind of difficult to comprehend. And, as much as I want to believe the research they found is true, I'm only taking it with a grain of salt. I still believe there is a strong viral component to it. I mean, gene mutations that make it difficult for us to handle stressors doesn't explain the constant low-grade fevers, muscle aches, swollen glands, sore throats, and other flu-like symptoms.

I don't know, I'm just a bit skeptical about the findings. I think they need to replicate the study on a MUCH higher scale.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

the viral connection is that viruses are one of the stressors our bodies are not able to handle, ie. properly fight off ( i guess) in this case
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Dear Friends,
    As I understand this study, I don't think it is saying much more than confidence that they have at last may have found a common gene cluster among all the people in the study. I assume this means that they have at last found a "marker" that can be used to diagnose patients with CFS. Utilization of this finding in identification and use in various types of therapies is perhaps sometime in the near future. Considering where we have been, this is a least an encouraging development!!
    Have a great weekend,
    MRDAD
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Dear Friends,
    As I understand this study, I don't think it is saying much more than confidence that they have at last may have found a common gene cluster among all the people in the study. I assume this means that they have at last found a "marker" that can be used to diagnose patients with CFS. Utilization of this finding in identification and use in various types of therapies is perhaps sometime in the near future. Considering where we have been, this is a least an encouraging development!!
    Have a great weekend,
    MRDAD