CDC -LYME MORE COMMON than West Nile- media ignores it WHY??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. victoria

    victoria New Member

    I think I am getting politicized, wish I had more energy to follow thru, especially after reading an article at the Townsend Letter site --

    I am only putting the first paragraph as it has what makes me so amazed and angry at the same time

    (I've broken it up for emphasis and easier reading, all caps words were done by me):

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Lyme Disease: Impact of the CDC Surveillance Criteria on Patients"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My first Townsend column about Lyme disease (April 2004) opened with a startling fact:

    This tick-transmitted infection is the MOST PREVALENT vector-borne disease in the US.

    According to recent CDC statistics, Lyme cases constitute 95% OF ALL REPORTS FOR SUCH DISEASES.(1) The remaining 5% includes the mosquito-transmitted WEST NILE VIRUS, sensationally publicized but by no measure affecting as many Americans as Lyme.

    That earlier Townsend column pointed to the NARROWLY DEFINED SURVEILLANCE CRITERIA for reporting cases issued by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a SIGNIFICANT REASON for UNCERTAINTY OVER THE INCIDENCE of Lyme.

    This column reviews the CDC criteria, differentiates them from authoritative guidelines generally available for diagnosing Lyme, and spotlights the inadequacies and inherent problems in the two main serologic tests required by the CDC.

    It then describes how MISUSE of the CDC surveillance criteria has had an ADVERSE IMPACT on DIAGNOSING AND TREATING LYME, AND ON THE PREVALENCE OF PERSISTANT OR RECURRENT CASES. . . "

    Reference:
    1. Center for Disease Control, Recommendations for the use of Lyme disease vaccine, MMWR, 6/4/99; Vol 48 (Issue RR-7).

    -------------------------------

    This AM I saw on the news (don't know if it was CNN or Fox News) they were talking about Lyme in horses and dogs/other pets...

    didn't get to hear all of it, but didn't sound like they were going to talk about people at all! AND they showed a distribution of Lyme, showing it in animals in Georgia and other states where it is NOT supposed to be officially.

    So... the animals have it and we don't????

    THIS IS NUTS! WHAT is going ON?!

    Sheesh! I AM going to write to my representatives

    that is, when I get the energy....

    all the best,
    Victoria




    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2006]
  2. victoria

    victoria New Member

  3. findmind

    findmind New Member

    and CFS...they are so debilitating, if the CDC told the truth, they would have to DO something, and I think they are not prepared to do so.

    Can you imagine if everyone who has Lyme and CFS were actually diagnosed? Medicine would throw up their hands and fall apart, LOL!

    Something has got to change regarding diagnostic tests in this country...if all the drs use different labs with different criteria, how can people be helped? Makes me so mad.

    I was political for years, and gave up...I need to put my energies to helping myself and partner, where it does the most good.

    findmind
  4. MaryCecelia

    MaryCecelia New Member

    That is UNREAL, but so true. Is this some kind of conspiracy or what? Hate to say that, but I'm beginning to wonder. I'm with you on wanting some energy to write my reps about it. Thanks for posting this.