Celebrate Black History Month

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fight4acure, Feb 4, 2010.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hey all! I love February because I was born in February.

Prior to going into two foster homes of two African American families, I had little knowledge of African American history, as they didn't teach this in my previous high school. After living with two black foster families, I learned so much about African American culture, and I appreciate all of the contributions to society. The second black foster family I was in was heaven sent!

So, this month means a lot to me, as does the education of African American history. So Black-History Month means a lot to me!

Whom ever wants to celebrate this with me, please post!

We can post the name of an African American who contributed to music, technology, whatever you can think of that was a benefit to society... and/or who are or were famous. And then post a website to add to educating us on the person.

I hope that those who post, can put aside our differences, and learn a little history with me!

Okay, I'll start...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rosa Parks

Elijah McCoy - Invented oil dripping cups for trains. The other cups that others tried never worked as well.

Lewis Latimer (1848–1928) invented an important part of the light bulb — the carbon filament.

Jan Ernst Matzeliger (1852–1889) invented a shoemaking machine that increased shoemaking speed by 900%!

Granville T. Woods (1856–1910) invented a train-to-station communication system.

George Washington Carver (1860–1943) invented peanut butter and 400 plant products!

Madam C. J. Walker (1867–1919) invented a hair-growing lotion

Garrett Morgan (1877–1963) invented the gas mask.

Otis Boykin (1920–1982) invented the electronic control devices for guided missiles, IBM computers, and the pacemaker.

Dr. Patricia. E. Bath (1949–) invented a method of eye surgery that has helped many blind people to see.

Lonnie G. Johnson (1949–) invented the world-famous watergun, the Supersoaker.

of course my favorite to post: African American musicians... there's too many to name, so here's the website:

Please post if you would like to Celebrate Black History Month with me!

(Note, I may be heading to TN this weekend, so I may not post until Monday or Tuesday again, but I'm grateful for people who want to participate in this! Do not feel bad if you repeat some names, as I often make that mistake.)

Thank you!
    Fight :)
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Dorothy Maynor, Grace Bumbry, Leona Mitchell

William Warfield, Robert McFerrin, Reri Grist

Jessye Norman, Lawrence Winters, Barbara hendricks

Mattiwilda Dobbs, Leontyne Price, George Shirley

Shirley Verrett, Marian Anderson, Wilhelmenia Fernandez

and Adele Addison

All great opera singers. Used to have recordings of all of them. (Got
    rid of my LP records last time I moved.)

Bon voyage (just in case you go to TN)

3. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Great list!!!

Now I have a whole lot of music to listen to, as I don't usually listen to opera. I like opera, but haven't taken much time to listen to it.

One of my favorite African American singers is Billie Holiday. And my favorite song of hers is "Willow Weep for Me." In my early 20s I would dance all around the room, (before this illness though), and listen to her music, and I would dance in the dark, in the living room, it was so soothing to play her music. Plus, I am so fond of the piano, although I can barely play it, lol... but I love listening to the piano. I love how the piano goes soft and then loud.

More African American musicians... on the piano...

Duke Ellington

It don't mean a thing, if you ain't got that swing!

Ahmad Jamal - (My favorite of his is Rossiter Road, it's far better than the hit below,
    but I'm unable to find it on youtube)
    Here's one of his hits... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qc3VaXtW5M

Here's another... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ_Op8dP5Iw

http://liveinjazz.ge/?p=4341 (I'm not sure if you have to pay to listen to this, but it's wonderful if you like jazzy piano music! I have the CD so I just searched around for it on the internet for others to enjoy.)

Here's one that sounds a little similar to the songs on the Rossiter Road, but isn't included in there as one of his songs, as it's on another CD.

Bud Powell ...
    Again I have a CD that doesn't include the songs on the youtube. It's called The genius of Bud Powell. But this one is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXtVsY7lfM
    It's rather slow for how fast he could play.
    Here's a faster paced Bud Powell, but he could play much faster!
    Like this one:

Okay, Thanks Rock! You Rock! I have to run to the store to get some printer ink to print up some maps. I don't know if I'm going to sleep tonight, but will try a little before I head out on the road. I've got many places to stop, or at least I think I will, lol... Nashville, then Memphis, or Nashville, then Knoxville, then Nashville and then finally Memphis. I don't know.... lol. I'll see how the weather is to me down there, and I guess it's a bit chilly, but not nearly as bad as in this FROZEN TUNDRA, LOL! Then I might visit my aunt on the way home. Maybe I'll head back when I'm out of money, lol, oh wait, I am, lol. I told my cousin that if I refuse to come back here, he can do the packing and bring it to me, LOL! "In my dreams!" he thought.

I should pay my bills too before heading out. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll head out. That way I can stop at a few places, stores, for a few items, and to return an old car battery that I replaced with a new one.

Rock, you and I sure have some similar likes! Music, piano, social work, law, warm weather, lol ... great minds think alike, lol...

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I hope you have a great trip. I was only in the South once. In 1967 I spent
    5 weeks in Atlanta, Georgia, going to adjusting school. The home office was
    on Peachtree Street.

Are you a fan of Bobby McFerrin? His father was Robert McFerrin, the first
    Black man to sing at the Met. Marion Anderson was the first Black Woman.
    That was in 1955. I was in High School.

I don't know if I've told you about my extensive musical history. I was a
    circuit organist who traveled w/ a circuit preacher. I was in the High
    School Band and Chorus. I sang and danced in an original college musical
    and was in community theater.

Just think! All this w/o a shred of talent! (But I do claim to be good at

Did you do some legal research? Doing research on line was just starting
    about the time I stopped practicing law. Haven't done any now for years.

I like lots of types of music but not jazz. Gordon does though. His favorite
    singer is Lee Wiley. Like most everydobby in the world, she's on Youtube.

You can sing the Tennessee state song while you're driving. Rockytop. There
    seem to be several others too. Not sure if all at one time or serially.

I have no way of knowing, of course, but MN celebrated its centennial when I
    was in High School. I may be the only person in the universe who remembers the
    song written for the occasion: Minnesota, Hail to Thee.

Ha det bra

5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hey Rocky, I thought the man who sang "Don't Worry Be Happy" died. Or was that just rumors? Maybe it was another guy, because the Wikipedia says he's still alive. Or maybe it was the writer who did, or maybe again, just rumors?

I am a fan of many signers, but I didn't know Bobby McFerrin. I did, however, know that the name one of a famous singer. When you mentioned his father's name, I also noted that his son is a singer too. Too bad I don't have any musicians in my family, except for self-proclaimed ones, lol, who can play a little guitar and a little piano. I guess my aunt is one since she's played for a church, but she's not famous.

Nice music history. I knew you had some talents, (even though you do not claim to), as I've read some of your stuff on here. Inquiring minds want to know!

I went through police science, that's all, and a few legal secretary classes. Then I dated a few cops... lol. So I guess I'm pretty well-up on the laws.

Gordon has great taste!!!! I got into jazz when I was about 19, looking for good music to listen to, to relax to, since my neighbors were loud and selling illegal stuff. I had to have something to relax to, so I went down to Rockford, at some Musicland place, I forget the name of it, it's been so long ago... even though I went there about 3 years ago... anyway, I listened to all of the demo songs and heard some piano jazz on there. I fell in love with it, head over heals! Too bad I've been forgetting to relax to it, since I've got about 8 CDs of jazz piano. Plus, I love classical piano as well. I often fall in love with music just due to the piano, or the sound of the voice. Other instruments aren't that important.

Yes, my head has heard Rocky Top in my head since the last three months. Can't get it out of my mind. It will be hard to leave TN to come back home.

I'm getting out kind of late because I had to get some sleep first. My stupid cat, my other cat, woke me up, as she just had to get out of the bedroom for some reason. She's never done that in the morning. So, she's acting funny now.

Must have been some of my relation up there in MN, lol. If you get that joke, just say, "Yep!"

MN is NW of me. That's another frozen tundra that I don't want to live in.

I wonder how many months one has to live in the state to be considered In-State in most colleges. Is it 6 months?

6. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hi Hon! Thank you, very much!

I will check out the list when I get back home! As I love to try to listen to music on the youtube, if some are listed! :)

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2010]
  7. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

My personal favs are: Ella Fitzgerald,Etta James,Dionne Warwick,Tina Turner,Gladyes Knight. The guys: Marvin Gaye,Stevie Wonder,Nat King Cole,geez too many to mention. Coming from the Detoit area, I'm still a "Motown" girl @ heart. I love all of it!!~~Jeanne
  8. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I've always thought he was so good looking! My hubbie and I just watched "Glory" the other night,if any one hasn't seen it yet,it's a really good movie about the civil war.
  9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Nobody can forget Denzel! Well, the guys might say they could, but even they are jealous!

Good names!!!!

Thank you!