Celebrating the Season

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Dec 17, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Now, I can't post pictures or videos with this old computer but I am remembering not so long ago when there were others who posted some georgeous photos of flowers, trees, and birds. I was thinking maybe we might post photos of the Christmas/Holiday Season. Outdoor pictures of snowy landscapes for instance, or our Christmas decorations, Holiday food pics. Icons of cheery holiday scenes or anything you like. How about it? (No Bah Humbug here.) :)
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB

A very nice suggestion. I visited dozens of sites. Could only find one with
    a picture that would copy. This is a cake in Norway. As my Norskie
    ancestors put it:

God Jul og Godt Nyttar!

Rock

[​IMG]
  3. rockgor

Couldn't find any more Christmas pics to copy, but here are some Norwegian
    costomes (bunads). When I attended Sons of Norway festivals, many folks
    dressed in this sort of attire. I just wore my Uff-da T shirt.

The real thing has hand embroidery. It costs a lot to dress like a peasant.

Rock

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, That cake looks delicious. I would enjoy if I didn't have D. Actually, I'd have a small piece anyway!

Beautiful dress.

Sons of Norway. You have so many interesting stories. Your life sounds like so fun :) Makes me think of Golden Girls' Rose Nyland. She was from St. Olaf. Great memories. GB
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Another great topic, GB.

Oh, I want a piece of the cake that Rock posted!!!! :)

On the topic of sweets, we baked cookies: shortbreads, choc chip, peanut butter. Others in my family did more extravagant items, and we all shared. BTW, I come from Polish heritage.

One of my aunts would make traditional fruitcakes -- with candied fruit and nuts. Delicious!

Another of my aunts would make nutrolls and poppyseed rolls. Here's a pic of a nutroll (usually made from ground walnuts):

Nutroll.jpg

My cousin married into an Italian family. And she made Struffoli on Christmas Eve (deep fried sweet dough, drizzled with honey):

Struffoli2.JPG

Ahhh, the memories of growing up. :)

Diane
  6. rockgor

Hi GB

The Sons of Norway was fun. They had some kind of do 3-4 times a year: a heritage fair;
    a dance festival, etc. I still have lots of T shirts from that period. Almost everybody I
    met at the Los Angeles chapter was from Minnesota or had relatives in Minnesota.
    And if not in Minnesota, then in Iowa or Wisconsin or the Dakotas.

In the days of my Minnesota childhood Norwegian cookies were a Christmas treat
    along with lefse which is a Norwegian tortilla made with potatoes. The cookies were
    too much trouble to make the rest of the year. Our youth group from the church
    used to go caroling. Would be invited into the house for cookies or bars and cider or
    coffee, etc.

Diane, Never heard of Struffoli. They look some some sort of fruit or nut.
    Would love to taste them. They sound delicious. Oh for the days of our youth
    when food was actually nutritious and had flavor and we could eat it without
    problems resulting.

I have ancestors from Scotland (and other countries) in addition to Norway.
    About 5 generations back an ancestor of mine came over from Ireland, but he
    had an Scotch name. The same name I have today. So even in those primitive times
    people were moving around. Here are some pics I found on the net of glass ornaments
    that were discovered in warehouse. They are of blown glass from Scotland priced at
    10 to 35 dollars depending on size. Note the smaller figure is holding the Irish flag.

I read that Merry Christmas in Scotish Gaelic is Nollaig Chridheil!

Rock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

8. rockgor

Hi Soul, What a great Christmas card! Did you make Santa and his sleigh too?
    Is this Dutch for Merry Christmas? Do you have a tree? Do the kids still
    put their shoes out for St. Nicholas to fill with presents?

Vrolijk Kerstfeest!

GB. Daughters of Donegal sounds like a good name for a group. Here in LA
    we have an Irish festival every spring. One year a gal from our office who
    was from Ireland was working in a booth there selling soda bread.

Gordon and I attended the festival 3-4 times. One year Dennis Day was
    scheduled to appear as the Grand Marshall. And one year it was Frank Patterson
    Both wonderful tenors. Saw Dennis in concert in Minneapolis and in
    Los Angeles. But both of them died just before their scheduled appearances.
    Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers were there one year. They all survived.

I had several records and tapes of music from Norway and Sweden.
    Had hundreds of Irish and Scottish music.

Ha det bra (That's Norskie for "have it good".) Often used as a complimentary
    close to a letter. And below is Irish Gaelic, according to a site I found.

Merry Nollag

Rock
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Soul, Hope you had a great holiday also. What a beautiful deer and sleigh. :) GB
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, Hope you and yours had a great holiday.

I'm glad the other guys made it to the festival. It was beginning to sound like a jinx.

I've noticed that "Bluegrass" music sounds exactly like the Irish music but with a different beat. Maybe it's called cadence? I'm not that sure about musical terminology. The Irish must have been settlers in that region, probably the Appalachian. I need to look it up.

Merry Nollag! I like that. GB
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  11. rockgor

Wow! GB. Some story! I looked up Lady Arabella Stuart. Her story is so convoluted
    one needs a geneology chart and a list of characters to keep it all straight. The Stuarts
    and the Tudors were rival families in the struggle to rule England and Scotland.

Arabella Stuart was a member of the British aristocracy, and a potential successor to
    Queen Elizabeth I. Her father was a member of the Stuart family and an Earl. She
    married at age 35. Both she and her husband were descendants of the sisters
    of the Tudor King Henry VIII. The successor to Elizabeth I was James VI of Scotland.
    He perceived Lady Arabella and her husband as threats to his kingship.

The couple was arrested and thrown into the Tower of London. In 1615 Lady
    Arabella died there, at age 40. apparently due to unspecified illnesses and a hunger
    strike. (I hope I got all that right. See numerous sites if you want to investigate
    further. GB, feel free to amend.)

Bette Davis played Elizabeth I in two movies. She probably could have
    played Arabella Stuart in a third film. Here's a pic of Arabella's portrait.

Rock

[​IMG]
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I know, it really is quite a story! I've read a lot of different theories about her online.

Some say she was married secretly to two or three husbands and had several children.
    There are a lot of people that have researched this on Ancestry.com and believe it's true. GB
  13. rockgor

And that connects to your steamboat developing ancestor as well. right? I don't
    suppose there can be too many documents left after 4 centuries. I have trouble
    finding papers that are just months old. Gordon bought a new TV a couple weeks
    ago. Now he can't find the instruction book. Uff-da!

Rock
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I don't believe I've ever read a more tragic story than hers though. What a sad end to a young life.
    There is a recorded document of her marriage to William Seymour and there are burial records too.

GB
  15. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Santa no, it's a handpuppet, Sleigh partially, just cut out the irons and later on covered them in alumminium foil.
    Deer travelled along to wonderful gathering of round about 130 friends and likeminded people of whom quite a few I have known for over 20 years, and was enjoyed by all in the central seating area where we stayed a few days. The robin was needlefelted and a gift for my mom for christmas so that didn't travel along.

Gonna take some time to return from that healthwise but this is my one time a year concious overload I will take the drawback for granted for. It's a very tough drawback, though well worth it. Though I always find it hard when the last day the body has become so oversensitive and creating so much chaos that I can't hide anymore how big the chaos in the body is and just hope that not to many people noticed in the big gathering. And that those who drove me home aren't to impressed about the tears I just couldn't contain anymore when dealing with the 'turbulence' of the car. When the body is so over used and there is such a big sensory overload and overload on the nerve system health triggers emotions easily. I'm reminding my self to enjoy the beautiful memories I made which I'm sooooo thankful and lucky for instead of pittying myself for not being able to be there for the gatherings taking place and coming up shortly. I'm well aware it's the physical condition that is triggering the emotions so that does help to not let them dampen my mood to much but just quietly accept and patiently await the recovery.

Yes kids still put their shoes out but that is what they do in the week before december 5th when they celebrate.

Yes your Dutch is perfect, thank you :D I only have a tiny fake dashboard tree that I put out and I have put some extra decorations on my ficus.

An inspiring, adventurous and filled with strength NEW year to all!

May our aim and our lives lessons that we want to learn, be clear for every moment in 2015
    And may our courage, enthusiasm and patience be such that it may become a practical reality
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    gb66 likes this.