Celebrex and other anti-inflamatories

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momof3dancers, Dec 11, 2002.

1. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

OK So I am new to all this new to the board and new to FMS.. as although I am newly DXed I believe that I have had this DD for many yrs.. Anyway My questions are
    1. How many of you take an antinflamatory.. like Celebrex? 2. Are you having any success w/ it?
    3. According to most research that I have done ...it has been shown that they (anti inflams) have little or no success in releaving pain and or symptoms of FMS ..so Why do SO many Docs prescribe them?

I personally am just taking Celbrex and Amitryptlin..Tylonl as needed.. but I really do not feel better or worse while taking either..I have only been on the Amitryp.. for 10 days.. but I have been taking the Celebrex for about a month.. and tried 2 other anti-inflams before that... SO I am just wondering.. if anyone had any or more success w/ this or that..
    Thanks and BIG {{{{HUGS}}}}} to all,
    Shannon
  2. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

OK So I am new to all this new to the board and new to FMS.. as although I am newly DXed I believe that I have had this DD for many yrs.. Anyway My questions are
    1. How many of you take an antinflamatory.. like Celebrex? 2. Are you having any success w/ it?
    3. According to most research that I have done ...it has been shown that they (anti inflams) have little or no success in releaving pain and or symptoms of FMS ..so Why do SO many Docs prescribe them?

I personally am just taking Celbrex and Amitryptlin..Tylonl as needed.. but I really do not feel better or worse while taking either..I have only been on the Amitryp.. for 10 days.. but I have been taking the Celebrex for about a month.. and tried 2 other anti-inflams before that... SO I am just wondering.. if anyone had any or more success w/ this or that..
    Thanks and BIG {{{{HUGS}}}}} to all,
    Shannon
  3. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I do take Celebrex,twice a day,but I do not take it for my FM.I take it for costochronditis,since it is an inflmation.It does help a lot,but is not for FM.
    Hope this helps-hope you feel better soon!!
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

This is a baffling & frustrating mystery, isn't it? Vioxx, celebrex & other anti-inflammatories are not helpful for a non-inflammatory disease!!! If you have lupus or RA in addition, or something like costochondritis, yes they can help. But not for FM alone. To me this just says how many doctors are still completely uninformed about FM & the kind of pain we have. I am always carefully saying to doctors that I "feel" inflamed in parts of my body---VERY different from actually "being" inflamed. Vioxx, prednisone---not helpful!! I agree with you, many docs try push this stuff on us; unless you have true inflammation, where it can be a godsend, it's useless & often hard on the stomach.

Good luck, tho, Shannon, I hope you find something that does help with the pain, and you may have to educate your doctor on this (or find one who's FM-aware)!

Big hugs back,
    Pam
  5. JP

JP New Member

Hi Shannon,

I take a high dose of Vioxx, which is in the same family. It does nothing for my FM pain and it helps with my back (arthritis) a great deal. It was given to me for arthritis.

Take care, Jan
  6. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

but I take Arthrotec...I have CFS, but the Arthrotec is for my knees and ankles...they swell and ache and it really helps...bad thing, though, it's hard on your stomach...have to take it with lots of water and food and Zantac otherwise I get really bad heartburn. Do you have inflammation? If so, it might help that, but according to most everyone, it won't help the FM/CFS directly. Hope I was some help.
    1Writer
  7. debonlake

debonlake New Member

Like many others, I take Celebrex for the arthritis is my neck,hands and feet. I was on Vioxx before but it caused some cardiac problems and my blood pressure shot up. I had never had any problems before like that and as soon as I quit taking the Viox, the symptoms stopped. The Celebrex takes the edge off and lets me do my walking, which I value immensely. I started using the ZMA and the coral calcium after lurking a while and they have helped relieve my muscle pain alot. Thanks for everyone on this board. Deb