CELEBREX:QUESTIONS ON SAFETY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilchisler, Mar 16, 2006.

1. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Hi all,
    A few years ago, I took Vioxx for inflamation and pain. I had good results, but after taken off the market, I also realized that the heart arythmia that I now have could have been caused from that.

Since that time, I have found nothing that takes away the severe swelling of my hands, fingers and feet and ankles. I have Fibro and Definite Signs of RA and Lupus but not definite tests to prove.

My question is that a few months back, my doctor prescribed Celebrex which is in the same family as Vioxx. I am scared to death to take it, but I am in desperate need of an anti infamatory that works.

I am 5'6 and weigh about 120 to 125 pounds (used to weigh about 170 when first diagnosed). When I am in a flare, I can have as much as 6 to 8 pounds of waterweight.

Any new info on safety of Celebrex or something that would work better for me to try?

I appreciate greatly, as I don't want to add any fuel to the fire.

I have pretty low blood pressure and I am on a med to raise it, so that part is not a problem.

Please help?

"lilchisler"...mitzi
  2. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Thanks for the quick response.
    That has been my problem also. The heart palpitations never went away after stopping the vioxx. I am still on Topprol xl for them. If I stop, within 1 day, the palpitations start up...they are not fast palpitations...

strangly, my heart rate would slow down to as low as 40 beats a minute.

Ultram, I did take, but it did not help much with the pain, but it is sure interesting to hear that we had similar experiences on the Celebrex.

I am like you..is it coincidence.

That is my real fear is that it is not.
    Thanks again for your quick reply.

"lilchisler"..mitz
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I think you have to weigh the benefits vs. the possible side effects with any drug.

Besides the fibro, I have arthritis, degenerative disc and facet disease. I would still be taking the celebrex if I could. I relieved my pain a lot! My stomach just can't take it though. I occasionally take one when the pain is horrific but can't take it on a regular basis.
  4. redtex

redtex New Member

and my skin turned red all over. i also got dizzy and felt really wierd.
  5. kbak

kbak Member

I don't know if this will answer your question, but i found a quote that might help.

"According to Dr. Bruce Hensel, "This does not mean that this drug, Celebrex or Vioxx cause heart attacks. It just means, if you already have a risk of heart attack, it might increase that risk."

I take Aleve at nite because of the 12 hr pain relief. Apparently all these drugs can cause problems. I guess all I can do is do heart health things and hope that I won't get heart damage. Asprin or motrin just don't work for me, so what are we going to do? I do take calcium pyruate, which was recommended by someone here, and it really helps the palpatations.

Good Luck!

K.
  6. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Thank you all for your quick responses and your information.
    I think you all are right in examining the risks verses the help that these type of drugs offer. I really did not have any other trouble with it.

I did not take it everyday, only on the days where the pain, swelling and stiffness was just too much for me to even use my hands to work.

I want to take this time to say thanks to all the board members and the moderators. This has been a great place for me in the past and I am learning a lot once again.

I do pretty well for the most part. I can't say I have a lot of super days, but is I can get through about the first 3 hours of every day, I am fortunate to be able to make it through the rest of the day ...as long as I keep moving.

If I stop moving, I am done...to the point of being almost crippled. This is a strange illness. I know others who do very well as long as they don't move or exert too much.

Thanks again so cuh. "lilchisler"-mitzi