Celebrex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sean, Sep 28, 2002.

1. sean

sean New Member

Has anyone had any bad side effects using the NSAID Celebrex? Here are a list of the side effects. My doctor prescibed these tablets because they are supposed to be less harsh on the stomach than other NSAID's. All I can say is I won't be taking them again. Here are the listed side effects:
    COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
    1. Stomach ache
    2.diarrhoea
    3.indigestion
    4.Wind
    5.dizziness
    6.problems sleeping
    7.blocked nose
    8.swollen sinuses
    9.sore throat
    10.chest infection
    11.fluid build up in the body
    12.swollen ankles and legs
    13.skin rash

LESS COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
    1.anxiety
    2.depression
    3.tiredness
    4.blurred vision
    5.tinnitus
    6.anaemia
    7.abnormalities in the liver and kidneys function tests
    8.raised blood pressure
    9.palpitations
    10.feeling short of breath
    11.coughing
    12.swollen mouth
    13.burping
    14.vomiting
    15.gastritis
    16.constipation
    17.urticaria
    18.tingly and prickling feelings
    19.increased muscle tension
    20.leg cramps
    21.urinary infections

RARE SIDE EFFECTS
    1.skin bruising
    2.increased sensitivity to light
    3.lower white blood cell and platelet counts
    4.ulcers in the digestive system
    5.perforations in the intestine
    6.inflamed gullet
    7.blood in bowel movements
    8.difficulty in swallowing
    9.changes in the way things taste
    10.feely shaky
    11.loss of scalp hair

VERY RARE SIDE EFFECTS
    1.lowering of all types of blood cells
    2.effects on yhe skin such as swelling blistering and peeling
    3.serious allergic reactions
    4.anaphylatic shock
    5.wheezing and coughing
    6.nausea
    7.bleeding in the digestive system
    8.hepatitis
    9.jaundice
    10.kidney failure
    11.aching muscles
    12.painful joints
    13.inflamed blood vessels
    14.heart failure
    15.heart attack
    16.headache
    17.feeling confused
    18.acute pancreatis

Always take notice of any new symptoms, you get when starting a new medication, check the leaflet for the potential side effects. I will never touch this drug again as long as I live, but as I understand it the drug is widely used for arthritis, so whether I am just unlucky or something I don't know, but with all those potential side effects I can't believe it is allowed to be pescribed.

2. sean

sean New Member

Has anyone had any bad side effects using the NSAID Celebrex? Here are a list of the side effects. My doctor prescibed these tablets because they are supposed to be less harsh on the stomach than other NSAID's. All I can say is I won't be taking them again. Here are the listed side effects:
    COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
    1. Stomach ache
    2.diarrhoea
    3.indigestion
    4.Wind
    5.dizziness
    6.problems sleeping
    7.blocked nose
    8.swollen sinuses
    9.sore throat
    10.chest infection
    11.fluid build up in the body
    12.swollen ankles and legs
    13.skin rash

LESS COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
    1.anxiety
    2.depression
    3.tiredness
    4.blurred vision
    5.tinnitus
    6.anaemia
    7.abnormalities in the liver and kidneys function tests
    8.raised blood pressure
    9.palpitations
    10.feeling short of breath
    11.coughing
    12.swollen mouth
    13.burping
    14.vomiting
    15.gastritis
    16.constipation
    17.urticaria
    18.tingly and prickling feelings
    19.increased muscle tension
    20.leg cramps
    21.urinary infections

RARE SIDE EFFECTS
    1.skin bruising
    2.increased sensitivity to light
    3.lower white blood cell and platelet counts
    4.ulcers in the digestive system
    5.perforations in the intestine
    6.inflamed gullet
    7.blood in bowel movements
    8.difficulty in swallowing
    9.changes in the way things taste
    10.feely shaky
    11.loss of scalp hair

VERY RARE SIDE EFFECTS
    1.lowering of all types of blood cells
    2.effects on yhe skin such as swelling blistering and peeling
    3.serious allergic reactions
    4.anaphylatic shock
    5.wheezing and coughing
    6.nausea
    7.bleeding in the digestive system
    8.hepatitis
    9.jaundice
    10.kidney failure
    11.aching muscles
    12.painful joints
    13.inflamed blood vessels
    14.heart failure
    15.heart attack
    16.headache
    17.feeling confused
    18.acute pancreatis

Always take notice of any new symptoms, you get when starting a new medication, check the leaflet for the potential side effects. I will never touch this drug again as long as I live, but as I understand it the drug is widely used for arthritis, so whether I am just unlucky or something I don't know, but with all those potential side effects I can't believe it is allowed to be pescribed.

3. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Sean,

I was prescribed Celebrex for joint pain by my primary. He assumed it was arthritic due to my Hemochromatosis. He started me on 100mg, then 200mg. I began having pain in my abdomen and he referred me back to my gastro doctor.
    Because I was having difficulty building up my hemoglobin from the phlebotomies & with the abdominal pain, this made him concerned I had GI bleeding. So he did a colonoscopy. Negative, except for diverticulosis.
    I was told by his nurse that many of their patients that were put on Celebrex were having GI problems.
    My primary switched me to Vioxx. It helped some, or at least I was not having anymore stomach pain.
    This is strange, because they are both COX 2 inhibitors.

Eventually, the Vioxx became useless. What I did not know was, I had FMS and it wasn't joint pain either.

Incidentally, my sister was on Celebrex and had the same problem and was switched to Vioxx. She does not have FM but Osteoarthritis.

I currently am on Lodine 800mg for inflammation, no problems and it does help.

I agree, Celebrex should be taken off the market. Others may come along and disagree though.
    good luck,
    granmama
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

But I didnt know that they had them side effects.
    I will definitly check more into the meds I am taking.

My grandmother is very ill, and expected to die soon. I remembered how I took xanax at difficult times. So asked my doctor for a script again for it. The xanax,it seems to be helping with depression some.

The meds I take right now are--Celebrex, Celexa, Tylenol 4's, zanaflex. Then the xanax. I am also on a antibiotic for my ear. Along with Claritin, to help with keeping the sinuses, ear dry.

I feel like crazy at times, taking all these meds.

I am going to do a search on them all here in a bit. I think thats too many meds myself.

5. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

My docs had to take me off of NSAIDs because of gastritis. Celebrex is LESS likely to cause gastric upset and has been just fine for me until lately. I have begun to experience acidic reflux, etc. so I went off Cel. The arthritis is worse, but the stomach is better. Curiouser and Curiouser. Have any of you on either of the Cox-2 Inhibitors experienced stomach trouble? Have any of you NOT on those meds experienced stomach trouble? Have any of you developed a stomach ache reading this ridiculous post :) Al
  6. LindaH

LindaH New Member

The doctor prescribed it for me before my FM diagnosis. I took one pill and promptly broke out in a rash. That was the end of that. Probably wouldn't have done me any good anyway.

Linda
  7. sean

sean New Member

You say your arthritis, got worse using celebrex, but have you been properly diagnosed as having arthritis, the reason I'm asking is that some of the symptoms of FMS are joint pains, very much like polyarthritis, and it could be possibly due to side effects of the drug that it makes FMS worse, thats my theory anyway. You may be experiencing a flare up of FMS pain rather than a worsening of arthritis. It would be difficult to know if you suffer from both whether it is the FMS or the arthritis.
  8. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

due to my faulty communication. My arthritis is better when I take Celebrex, but I'm concerned tho not certain that it may be bothering me tummy. Tank you, Al
  9. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I didn't have any side effects from Celebrex - in fact I didn't have any effects at all. Sure as heck didn't help me though.