Celexa.. anyone on it? Initial side effects?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wolverine, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Hi all. In addition to the many new supps im trying, i've been considering trying Celexa again for brain and nervous system function. Im thinking my current huge problems of unstable blood pressure / crashes, weakness etc may be at least partially due to central brain / hpa / autonomic dysfunction.

I tried it years ago but had very severe nausea and shakiness from it. Didn't get past day 2 because of that. Has anyone else had the same inital side effects and gotten past them? If so how long did it take? I've heard of alot of people with 'just depression' getting the same inital side effects but they wear off within a week or two.

~Chris.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

it many years ago and from what I can remember could take it at that time.

severly fogged right now so sorry can't tell you more!

Best of luck if you try it.
  3. Queen of the Dream

Queen of the Dream New Member

Hi Chris.

I myself was on Celexa several years ago for pregnancy-related depression and my husband was on it as well (he wasn't pregnant, though!) LOL His was depression. The only symptoms I had were what my doctor warned me of... being very sleepy for the first week or so. Hubby had the sexually-related symptoms: basically Celexa screwed with his sex drive.

I am a nurse's daughter so forgive me for lecturing but if you're having such negative symptoms as these, if you have not already done so... talk to your doctor ASAP!!! Let him or her know of what you're experiencing and see if it should go away in a bit more time (once your body gets used to the meds) or if you shouldn't maybe try something else.

Good luck!

Heather
  4. star273

star273 New Member

Hi,

Yes, I do take Celexa and I like the way it works, but I have had the same sid effects. Heres what I do. I take mine at night right before I go to bed, so I dont notice any of te side effects. That shakiness was the worst, but since I take it before I go to sleep, I never notice it. Also, there is food in my stomach from dinner or if I eat early, I eat a light snack and then I dont have the nausea.
    I think you might like it if you take it at the right time, but if you feel uncomfortable then I would let your Dr. know. I have noticed that the longer I take the medicine the side effects go away. I just started taking it again, because I too feel like it works for the brain.
    Good Luck. :)
  5. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I haven't had any side effects from it. And it has helped. Good luck. Jenn
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I was on it about 8 years ago for almost a year.

I had no ill effects from it, except for night sweats. It helped my depression a lot - and I LOST weight, which was a good thing.

Sue in Ontario
  7. tigercat411

tigercat411 New Member

Hi I take 20mg Generic Celexa daily. I have been taking it for 3 or 4 months now- almost all my fatique is gone and with it the muscle aches-now I just have the regular old lady aches (lol Im 51) I have had FM for over 4 years that we know off and DLE lupus with other symptoms....

I have no side effects other that a bit of decreased libido, this has worked so well for me that I am a bit nervous...

I tried 40 mg a day bit it sortof zombied me- it wasnt worth the increase- went back to 20mg and am feeling ssoooo much better I could cry.

Previous to this medicine, I spent major parts of each day resting in bed and had to severely limit what I could do each day- forget going anywhere for the day....

Hope this helps, and hope you begin to feel better
    Hugs
  8. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Thanks for the replies all! I'm glad to hear it works for so many. Apparently it's the least toxic / liver damaging one of all of them too which is good.

Being in such a bad spot at the moment as I am (feeling like almost full blown addisons disease is round the corner, shaking cold and weak day and night), im not sure whether to start them or not right now. Although I also think if the current problems are of autonomic dysfunction and the celexa may help.. so not sure to start or wait.

Will let everyone know if i do, and thanks alot!

~Chris.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My daughter is on Celexa for migraine headaches and she told me that it is suppose to be one of the AD's with the least side effects.

Celexa was developed by chemist whose son was suffering from depression. He wrote a book about his son's depression, Ironically his son took anothe AD as he was doing well on it. He stopped working after developing the ADs to take care of his son. The book is fascinating and if I think of the name of it, I will post it.

Lexapro came next and is very similar chemically. It is supposedly more effective for anxiety. If you google celexa and lexapro you can get more information about how even though the two AD's are chemically alike in many ways, they are used for different types of depression. But I would get more infromation on it than what I have stated.

It sounds like you are considering Celexa but have not seen a doctor? I think it would be helpful to see a psychiatrist who can go through all the options available.

Make sure you tell the doctor what supplements you are on as some can interact with other medications.I do know that you have to be careful with St. John's Wort as you can get seretonin sickness.

Remember ADs take 4-6 weeks before they fully kick in.

I have taken Zoloft for the most part of nineteen years and it has literally saved my life.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

ga

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2008]
  10. theatergirl

theatergirl New Member

None unless you skip you dosage. Really important. Also there is a generic version that is cheaper Citalopram.
    Theatergirl