CELIAC DISEASE Have you been tested?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I just had a lab come back with high gliadin antibodies. I guess this indicates Celiac disease. I think they have to do more tests to confirm.

Anyone else?

Could this be responsible for all the pain also?

I do have intestinal discomfort but I wouldn't say it's my number one complaint. My pain and fatigue are at the top. I have wondered if I had lupus or addisons disease. I hadn't really considered this.

My dad did die of colon cancer. I am VERY reactive to food and have had reactive hypoglycemia forever.

Any personal experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Sofi
  2. HAPPYDOGSUZ7777

HAPPYDOGSUZ7777 New Member

Aloha,
    I also have tested + on the antibodies.
    I have been gluten free for about 2 years now.
    I do feel a lot better but still healing.
    There are celiac message boards that are very helpful.
    Hope you feel better off gluten!
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Did you do any other tests to confirm celiac? Has it been difficult to eat gluten-free?

Thanks for your response,

Sofi
  4. mary124

mary124 New Member

I tested positive with the blood test, the doctor also did a endoscopy w/biopsies. They all came back negative. He told me it was my IBS - and to add more fiber, played with my medicines. This was about 2 months ago, only had 1 attack since then.
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

I have found the last few years that my health is very much better if I avoid gluten. I've never been tested. I've heard that if you test when you've been avoiding gluten, it won't show up on the test because your immune system won't be reacting to it.
    Yesterday I tried eating Irish oatmeal. I had IBS symptoms the rest of the day. I took enzymes with it to help digest it, but it's still a no-go for me.
    When I stopped eating gluten, my GERD went away and hasn't been a problem since (3 years). Also, joint pain went away, and if I do inadvertently eat something (usually eating in a restaurant) I'll get joint pain in 2-3 days.
    I have to be careful about carbs too. I mainly eat lots of fresh veggies, fruit, and healthy meat and oil. I do have nuts, beans, and some non-gluten grains (rice, quinoa, and amaranth) in moderation.