Celiac Disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeanyMalone, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

Okay, I know I am really grasping at straws but I wonder if it is possible that Fibro could be caused by Celiac...maybe the reason no pills are helping us is that we keep eating food we are allergic to, thereby keeping our bodies in constant craziness. Anyone here been diagnosed with celiac(gluten, wheat allergies)? I looked up the symptoms and they seem in line with how we are feeling. Hey, the medical community is ignoring us. I have no problem doing research on things and trying to help us. Who knows? One day it might help someone.

LISALOO New Member

For some it can be.

For some it's just another autoimmune disease to add to our Fibro and CFS. Sometimes it starts after the Fibro or CFS started (I have Gluten Intolerence which started 2 years after CFS.

Fibro and CFS can be so many other diseases, or caused by other diseases.
  3. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

Well, it was worth a try, hey. Okay, on to the next idea.
  4. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I am having a test monday for the celiac disease. I have all the symtoms except the weight loss.My stomach has ballooned up this last yr.,like i'm 9 mo. PG. I also have fibro and a number of medical problems.I'm only 47 yrs.old. This is kinda scarey for me as you can imagne. But i guess it could be worse right!? They say this is hereditary. I asked my ma about it,she never heard of anyone in the family being tested for it. But on her side all of the women have had the distented tummy's and the problems being diagnosed as fibro. It will be interesting if that has been the problem all along with us.
  5. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

I have the huge tummy also, even when i lose weight. I am very excited to find out what your results might be. This Celiac is a relatively new diagnosis so maybe that's why the fam hasn't been tested. Having Celiac isn't so bad...just have to watch the diet carefully. Keep us posted on the results. I am convinced that there is a root cause to all of this and it could be dietary/nutritional.
  6. krock

krock Member

Not sure yet if it is celiac disease. I also have fibro and cfs.
  7. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I will let you know results when i get them.I imagne it will take a few days,they didn't tell me how long.
    Now as far as which one comes first, I think it's like the chicken or the egg.How will we ever know for sure. I'm sure there are people on here that have fibro and not the yeast,gluten allergies.
    Some say it could be from spinal cord problems,i also have had that for years and years,since probably my jr.high years is the first i can recall having the pain.They finally figured that problem out about 3 yrs. ago. I have read celiac can cause disc degeneration which i have had surgery on and have more yet to be surgically fixed,but the damage is already done.The problem with my bowels was discovered about 5 yrs ago with colitis.Last yr. I tried to up my vit.D by starting to drink milk,that is when my stomach blew up and has not gone down. My Dr ignored it. But with the new and younger Dr i saw recently thinks maybe celiac spru, we'll see. And i have always been extremely tired. I don't want anyone to discontinue looking for a connection,but how will we ever really know for sure. I am constantly searching also.....
    We all must keep looking.......
  8. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I have found that most of my fibro issues become better when I cut all wheat protein out of my diet. I was tested for Celiac and it came back negative but my allergist told me that just because I do not have celiac doesn't mean that I don't have gluten intolerance, I just may be intolerant of some glutens and not others. For instance, I can eat oats but I can't eat wheat, bleached or not. And any time I do eat bread or anything with wheat gluten in it (either because I'm in a hurry or just forget to read a label thouroughly) I feel like poop for the next 2 days and have to figure out how to flush that crap out of my system quickly.

I think a lot of our problems are food related in one way or another, whether it be hormones and preservatives or just bleached sugar and flour, etc. But it doesn't seem to be the only answer, unfortunately. Wouldn't it be great if we could just cut out all the bad food stuff and be healed? I wish.

And the thing about food allergies or intolerances is they don't always have symptoms until our bodies are so filled with toxins that it starts to attack itself. I'm a firm believer that foods could very possibly cause all of this.

9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have a gluten senstivity, but not Celiac. I found the root cause of my FMS to be a Borrelia infection, so now I'm getting treatment for that. My daughter's CFS symptoms were caused by the same infection.
  10. Robbie44

Robbie44 New Member

I tested negative for an allergy to gluten, but thought it might be making my symptoms of Fibro worse. So for the past two months I've gone totally gluten free as well as grain free. Mainly I eat fruits, veggies and protein. This elimination of these foods has made a huge difference in my symptoms.! My brain fog is completely gone, I have more energy and my stomach issues of bloating, gas etc are non existent. I have accidently gotten "glutened" a couple of times and all those symptoms came back worse than ever. Do some research and see how gluten affects millions of people and that our bodies were never meant to process grains.

All of my other fibro symptoms are still there but the Celiac site research says it can take up to 1 -2 years to heal. I don't think gluten is the entire story of Fibro, but for me, it's a huge piece of the puzzle.
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Robbie,

Well, Celiac Disease is very related to mold poisoning, and many people have CFS or FM that is caused by mold poisoning.

If you decide to get your genes tested, it would be worth your while to get your whole HLA-DR by PCR tested, rather than just your HLA-DQ. And it should be done by LabCorp.

People use the HLA-DQ test to check for inherited susceptibility to Celiac Disease. They say an HLA-DQ of 2 or 8 indicates the susceptibility. But the HLA-DQ is just part of a larger group of genes. If your HLA-DQ happens to be 2, then you have one of the mold susceptible genotypes.

Here is the chart that shows all the susceptible genotypes: