Celiacs and those who know about allergens..HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, May 11, 2009.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I am being persecuted with an itchy nose and read that stinging nettles might help.
    I've found a good supplement but although they list the ingredients they don't say if it's gluten, dairy, yeast free or free of artificial stuff! :(

Can anyone tell me if there is any gluten, dairy, yeast or any naughty stuff?

I called the company but there's no one available and I'm keen to order!

Here are the ingredients:

Dibasic calcium phosphate, stearic acid, modified cellulose gum, and colloidal silicon dioxide.

I just want to know if any of these ingredients *can be* derived from gluten, wheat, dairy or yeast..or naughties!

Thanks!! :) I wish companies were a bit more forthcoming with info! Thanks! Shelbo :)
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Those newer labelling laws that came into effect last yr. for major allergens incl. dairy & wheat DO NOT apply to supps & meds, to the best of my knowledge.

In addition to listed ingredients, there are GRAS ingredients (generally regarded as safe) that are not required to be listed. That includes things like starches used in processing.

It may not affect what you have listed, but many supps are produced using yeast. Depending on how sensitive folks are, they may or may not react. "Modified" products are often derived by enzymatic action or fermentation (yeast).

Cellulose is a wild card, can be derived from pretty much any plant material. Some companies do not specify "does not contain" IF they have a varying source for an ingredient like cellulose.

The most sensitive folk I know do not take anything that they cannot verify.

You could try company website, look at contact info, send email. Website may also specify their sources.

Also remember that nettles is a pretty common supp. Perhaps there is a brand that DOES specify DNC for your naughties?

Best Wishes.
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I didn't know they don't hafta list "starch". I was told that "starch" on a food label usually means something containing wheat gluten.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

On food manufactured in the USA, there is a relatively new (couple yrs. old) law that requires the listing of WHEAT if it is used anywhere in the manufacture. So, if starch is listed on a FOOD item & wheat is not specified, the starch should not be wheat. Cornstarch is used a great deal in food production in the USA. However, if your food item is imported & lists starch, all bets are off as to whether it is GF or not. Contact the food item manufacturer.

However the labelling law, as far as I know, does NOT apply to supps & meds. The original question was about a supplement.
  5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

The company's website says that all their products are wheat free but as gluten is also found in oats, rye and barley I have written to them to ask for further information.

It seems a bit naughty that these companies don't have to disclose everything...

I'm not sure whether wheat-free also means gluten-free but if it does it makes me wonder why if the product is gluten-free they don't just list it with the other excluded allergens seeing as it is a major allergen.

I'm really suffering with itching and burning in my nose and I'd really like to try this product as I have read it's good for that...

Thanks for your help.... Shelbo :)
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member