CELLULITIS FROM CAT BITE CAN BE DEADLY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosebud41298, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. rosebud41298

    rosebud41298 New Member

    FYI!!! WELL I HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING AND AM NOW PAYING FOR IT. I HAVE A CAT ABOUT 3-4 YEARS OLD THAT HAS DEVOLOPED A "HOT SPOT" ON HIS BACK. I KNOW WHERE IT IS. I ACCIDENTLY TOUCHED IT AND HE AUTOMATICALLY BITES AND THEN BECOMES A PUNCTURE WOUND. THIS HAS HAPPENED ANOTHER TIME. THIS ONE WAS THE WORSE. THIS HAPPENED SATURDAY, BY SUNDAY MY HAND WAS SWOLLEN IT WAS INFECTED. BY MONDAY SOMEWHAT BETTER, BUT STILL HAD REDNESS ON BACK OF HAND BY SORE. MY CO-WORKERS TALKED ME INTO GOING TO DR. AND GLAD THEY DID. CATS HAVE SOMETHING IN THEIR SALIVA THAT CAUSES INFECTION ONCE PUNCTURED. MY DR. SAID I SHOULD HAVE CALLED THIS WEEKEND. SOME PEOPLE END UP IN HOSPITAL BECAUSE OF IT. ITS CELLULITIS NOW. I'M ON 2 ANTIBIOTICS DOUBLE DOSES TODAY. CAN'T GO TO WORK UNTIL POSSIBLY WEDNESDAY. I HAVE TO KEEP IT ELEVATED AND APPLY HEAT!!!!! ANYWAYS, HAD TO SHARE THIS FOR OTHERS.
  2. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    Cats carry 60 or more different bacteria's in their saliva. It was on the news last week.

    I love the little critters too, but you need to be careful.

    Shalom, Shirl
  3. fibrodan

    fibrodan New Member

    I'm not sure how she got it, but she looked terrible. Her ankles, feet and calves were so swolled, that she looked like the Elephant Man. She's on a LOT of medication or DDD and thought it was just a side affect from the meds. Luckily she decided to go to the doctor. The doc told her it was very serious, and put her on a very potent antibiotic.

    Glad to hear that you discovered the problem before it got out of control. Take care-


    Fibrodan/Danielle
  4. Jen F

    Jen F New Member

    I now know that if my cat nips me ,[unusual], and if the skin is broken, I need to immediately cleanse the area and it is best to soak in [epsom] salt water for a short while. I find that usually avoids infection.

    You're right! If left untreated, it can become infected and swell significantly before you realize you're in trouble!

    A few minutes of immediate care can often avoid hours/days of misery.