central Texas newbie here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cyberamy, Jan 4, 2003.

1. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

New here from Belton

There are many of us here! I am scheduled to go to a rheumy in Austin. I have been diagnoded with EBV which is chronic fatigue and I am having ALL fibro symptoms. I also have postive ANA's . I don't think it is lupus though. Anyway my question is has anyone ever been to dr. Tew?I am having horrible flu like symptoms since the birth of my daughter 3 mos ago. I am in horrible pain! I think he is in the same practice as Dr. Pickrell. thanks!
    Amy
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I live in Florida, and don't know about your doctors, but just want to welcome you. It's slower here on weekends, and I did not want you to think nobody was paying attention to your post.
    You may have to bump it up, by answering your post yourself, and just typing "bump" in the subject line, to keep it on the front page long enough to get an answer from someone who knows your area. Otherwise the post may sink to the back pages, where very few of us have time to go.
    Good luck with the new doc!
    Klutzo
  3. jolly

jolly New Member

Dear Amy, if you have an appt. with the Austin Diagnostic Clinic, cancel it immediately! I've never been treated so badly in my life as I was there. Then they sent me to a pain clinic where they charge $300 and the guy was equally rude and told me to take 600 milligrams of ibuprofen a day and buy a book. It was a total waste of money and took me months to shake off the bad cooties.

Look on the chitchat board under "Bel" and see the name of the doctor that she's going to. Karen2002 has gone to him and swears he's the best. I think his name is Dr. Thoreson, but check and make sure. I repeat. DO NOT GO TO THE ADC! Jo Ellen
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Amy, welcome to our world. You can check the 'Doctor Referral' on the top of this page, many here have found some fine doctors from the list.

Also, I see you have had a referral from a member too, those are usually the best.

Sorry you are in so much pain with a young baby to care for.

You could start taking Pro Energy (malic acid and magnesium glycinate) untill you get a true diagnosis. Most people are deficient in this mineral, and it is what heals our muscles when we sleep, therefore it helps the pain a great deal. It is sold here at Pro Health, just go to the 'Store' link for more information.

Let us know if you when you find a doctor, and how you are doing.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

5. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

welcome Klutzo!! jo ellen thanks for the info! He is in that clinic! I'll who did you see? Thanks again
    Amy
  6. jolly

jolly New Member

Sorry I sounded so desperate before but it was such a bad experience, I just freaked when I saw you were going there. The guy I saw was Crout. He was horrible. The minute I got in the building, every cell in my body wanted to leave. Maybe your experience will be different, but if not, you have us to lean on. Bad doctor experiences can have such an effect on us. I paid "out of pocket" and it cost about $700 for blood tests, etc. and it felt like cattle being run through. I didn't mind the blood test since it had been so many years and I was kind of curious, but the way I was treated was almost unforgiveable even though I've been trying. People with fibro in Austin seem to have a harder time than people elsewhere. Here, they don't seem to believe in giving you anything to relieve your pain and many people have had bad experiences. I'm just trying to warn you in case this turns out to be your experience. Maybe yours will be better. I'm just trying to be positive for you. If you're paying out of pocket, I think I would go to Dr. Thoreson. Never seen him, but he seems to care. Just don't fall into the pain clinic thing. It's a scam. Jo Ellen
  7. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

I sincerely appreciate your help. I am going to change my appt to see another rheumy. I have taken your advice .Another poster said they suck too. I am not going to waste my time with a-holes. My spirits are down and I don't want to be treated like a hypochondriac or made to feel worse than I already do. I'rs bad enough we feel like sh!t but don't need to be treated like this. I'll let you know how it goes. Again thanks!

Shirl thanks for the welcome and I will try the Pro Energy !
    Amy
  8. Starla

Starla New Member

Hi from a fellow Texas Girl, I use to live in Rogers for a short time. You don't hear of Belton often. I use to go there and had some friends there. I have not seen doctors in that area, just here in Conroe. I am currently seeing a Neurologist who was not real familiar with FM/CFIDS, but he is so good and cares so much, he actually went home and did research on it and came back and told me some things he learned. I was so impressed that he took the time to be interested. He has treated me well, mostly just for the pain. But he has done every test in the book to try to figure it out. I hope you find a doctor with a "caring heart". This board is a great place to ask questions. Just type in keyword "fibromyalgia" on a search and there is a world of info on the web. You can learn a lot through self study. Good luck friend. I have a 3 yr old and have had FM for 7 years. It is tough when you have a bad day and an active toddler. God bless you and I hope you have a supportive family. Keep in touch with us.
    Starla
  9. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I also have a 2 yr old and a 3 mo old. this and cfs is not a good combo! I feel for you too. This is all new to me and so frustrating. I am soo tired of being tired all the time. Actually I am from Dallas just moved here 1 yr ago. It was quite an adj and I had culture shock!lol Blessing back at you and I'll keep in touch.take care
    Amy