cerec dental procedure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ruby711, Jan 23, 2007.

1. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

Has anyone had cerec reconstruction done on their teeth? If so how has it worked out for you. Is the tooth filed down like it is when having a crown? Is is a fairly easy thing to go thru. Any allergy problems?
    ruby
  2. turquoise

turquoise Member

3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Ruby,

I haven't had it done yet myself but am planning to this spring. I have had friends with severe chemical sensitivities who have done fine with it. They take down less of the tooth than with traditional crowns plus you don't have to go through wearing a temporary crown.

The powder used to prep the tooth for the CAD model (instead of an impression) is titanium dioxide which is the same stuff as the white letters on M&Ms. It's very inert.

The newer cerec machines use a ceramic called zirconia which is even better and more biocompatible than the Alumina or Spinnell.

Just a note about anesthesia - if you have many sensitivities ask your dentist to use Cook-Waite 3% Carbocaine with no epinephrine or preservatives. I do great with it but almost all other locals contain sulfites and can cause severe reactions for the chemically sensitive. Just recently I had a friend whose dentist substituted another anesthetic without telling her and she was sick for days.

Please give us feedback if you have it done -

Jan
  4. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am so glad to know more about it. I will let you know all about it when I have it done. It may not be done until the spring because I try not to schedule appointments in the winter time for fear of having to cancel. I don't hold up well at all in cold weather or otherwise which is why i am not on the board more often.
    ruby
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I have a tooth with a minor crack that we are "keeping an eye on". He said he has used cerac replacements for some situations, but has found that they don't hold up to pressure very well, and for a back tooth, not a good choice in his opionion as there is too much pressure put on them. But , depending on the tooth location , he has found them to be successful in some applications, and says the application is much less stressful on the patient.
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Suzan,

I think that was true of the earlier cerec materials, but zirconium is supposed to be much more durable. Here's a paragraph from a dental site:

Zirconia
    A new generation of non metallic crown (cap) material. It uses a computer generated substructure over which porcelain is baked to produce a very strong, natural looking restoration. Most caps have metal under the porcelain. This process allows you to get all porcelain crowns on your back teeth that will hold up under chewing pressure.

Jan