Cervical Neck Burning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Emily3614, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Emily3614

Emily3614 Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a constant burning feeling at the base of my neck over my spine and the muscles on the left side of my neck and shoulder are affected as well. It is painful to turn my neck to the left. Is this a symptom of Fibro? Does anyone else experience this?

2. IanH

IanH Active Member

This is not particularly a symptom of FMS but can be associated with it. Many people with cervical spine stenosis meet the criteria for fibromyalgia in that they experience widespread pain not directly or obviously caused by the neck nerve pinching. In the US one particular clinic specialized in surgery to alleviate FM via reducing the cervical spine stenosis. I cannot remember the surgeon's name.

The issue seems to be that spinal stenosis causes a number of changes in the nervous system probably via immune system changes - in susceptible individuals. The basal ganglia of the brain stem have been shown to lack their inhibition abilities so allowing pain signals to be un-suppressed (amplified if you like). ( Its a bit like an audio amplifiers preamp where the volume knob required to turning down the sound signal s faulty and you get sound which is too loud.)

If you already suffer from FMS and this problem in the neck has developed it may be a result of the FMS causing neuromuscular stiffness in your neck resulting in inflammation in the spinal collumn.
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

thanks Ian, we can always count on you to provide good detailed information.

I have FM but also spinal stenosis, cervical and lumbar. It's been hard trying to deal with this ongoing pain. It basically never goes away. I saw an orthopedic surgeon a few years ago who took me thru tests, including a necessary MRI. If you haven't had this then you should. He ordered Pt on my neck (traction) and exercises for my whole body. The traction didn't help but made it worse because a substitute tech screwed me up when the regular one was on vacation so I quit, and suffered thru a lot of pain for weeks/months.

For me I've figured it out that when it starts hurting I alternate with frozen gel packs on my neck and then heated rice socks. I keep about 8 gel packs in the freezer and drop them into a knee hi that I have sewn a piece of velcro on the end to grab and hold. I have no time to baby myself. Sometimes it stays on for at least 45 min. then I put on a new one.......otherwise it just feels better with heat. You need to figure this out. And remember, if you've got FM then tightening those neck muscles (we all do it) will make the pain worse, so you need to learn to de-stress.

If the pain is on both sides of your body, you can bet it's FM, but if only one side then it's something else going on.
    RadioFM likes this.