Cervical Surgery 5 wks ago 3 Discs Done

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texasmaia, Oct 27, 2006.

1. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Don't know if anyone remembers, but I was dxd not long ago with Degenerative Disc Disease.

I am five weeks out of surgery on my neck. They removed the discs between C4 and C7, three bone graphs, 8 screws and 2 plates later I am doing good.

Gotta say the surgery was easier than my hysterectomy, pain wise. I am back to work full time after 4 weeks. I am still in a full neck brace for another 5 weeks.

Can't schedule the Mylogram for my lower back until Dec 1st for risk of infection from the dye in surgical area. Was hoping I could do it all in one calendar year for insurance....ah dang it all.

Anyway...just wanted to post back and let those of you know that I had discussed the DDD with and surgery.

Blessings,
    Maia
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Maia:

So happy to hear that you tolerated your surgery so well. I am amazed that you are back at work so soon...is that really good for you?

Thanks so much for giving us an update, and I hope that you get some good news on your lower back. Myleograms are terrible. I was given one, and even had the iodine pre-test. No reaction. I was so sick after having the myleogram that I was unable to even move my eyeballs for 2+ weeks. Never thought I would make it through that terrible time.

Thanks again for sharing, and hope you have continued success.

Ingrid
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

I have bad disk between two and three, and three in four, finally. c-6.

I am glad that you're able to go back to work so soon.

Hugs,.

Jodie
  4. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

Don't push to hard. I had the neck done,new bone,metal plate and screwed together.

Then I had 7 discs done at once the next year.

It takes time to heal from hese surgeries and if you don't take care, you will pay the price in the future.

Please take care of yourself.You can't be the best you can be for others if you don't take care of yourself first.
  5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

that is really encouraging. I have ddd as well and am afraid surgury is coming down the pike.
    I'm amazed you are already back to work!
    Take care
    dona
  6. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Thanks for the encouragement and reminder to take it slow!

atiledsner, I can't imagine all of that being done and yet I can. You are so right though about taking care of yourself first. I know all that in my head but making myself do it is another thing.

I am back to work because I had to be. Money makes the world go round, much as I hate the stuff. Still have to pay the insurance premiums and my share of the bills. Since I am the insurance carrier in our family....I am here. So...I am taking it as slow as possible.

Last week, I was supposed to come back to a slow, part time week. Well my two main employees quit me on Wednesday and I had no choice but to stay. Ended up putting in over 50 hours. I was wiped out this weekend.

Again, thanks.
    Maia
  7. johnston

johnston New Member

read the article regarding a possible correlation between spinal injury and FM? I felt so well about 5 days after my first steroid injection that I was trying to see if steroids help FM. Of course, no studies show any improvement in FM with steroids; so I wanted to search how that would help me so much and came across the article. Thought it was interesting. Especially since one of my mds had mentioned that studies were finding a connection between child abuse and FM--made me wonder if we could have been "shaken babies" that survived.....
    About the surgery........I don't advise anyone to have this unless you have to. There are only 7 cervical discs. I had the lower five operated on. I found it very uncomfortable post-op. The surgery added about 1/4-1/2 inch to my neck which stretched the neck and shoulder muscles causing a lot of discomfort. Furthermore, I have to wear my hard neck collar at all times (for 8 weeks) which means I can't drive. Personally, I found my C-Sections and hysterectomy to be much easier surgeries post-op. Goes to show everyone is different. Now, I risked paralysis whether I had the surgery or not; so I chose to have it. All limbs move, so it came out okay. I have some residual symptoms that my resolve in time and they are not bad (some numbness and some dropping things). Still, I did not like the swelling in my throat post-op. I had to slowly go back to regular foods (I was choking--even on my meds). So just don't go into it thinking you will do as well as this person. You may. But I wish more people had told me what I am telling you. Do it if you need to. If not, don't. Having said all that, I will say that my husband and I are hopeful that maybe my FM will be better once all the healing is done since I felt like my old self for those five, short, wonderful days after the first steroid injection.
  8. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Aghllw....My name is Lisa too, I live up by Amarillo, so you are a ways from me. Have a great doc here though. They say he is one of the best neurosurgeons on the spine in the region. He is one of few in the country doing the disc replacment. I have a friend who has had it done and she says she feels like she is 20 again. We'll have to visit more.

Johnston....I am sorry you had such a difficult time. I, too, had a difficult time with the swelling in my throat and the surgery has certainly not been a piece of cake. My muscles in the shoulders and back are killing me all the time from being repositioned with the collar.

Yes, I have the hard collar on and it can only be taken off for bathing. It's been on now for six weeks and I have 5 more to wear it until my next appt. I will then find out how it will go from there.

I have a lot of pain if I try to reach over my head or lift things which of course I am not supposed to be doing. I sometimes forget though, and just reach.

I didn't mean to make this sound like a walk in the park, however, I choose to be positive about it and go on. I am actually terrified at the thought of being in a wheelchair someday soon. I am 43 years old. I still have major problems going on in my lumbar region that have to be taken care of.

Please don't think I was writing to say this was easy. It wasn't and still isn't. My daughter still has to wash my hair, so I am not even taking care of my personal needs yet.

It is not impossible though. It is not something to take the chance of being paralyzed because you fear the surgery. It is a doable surgery. I know we are all different, but there are many people here that are contemplating this same surgery and very afraid. I was only trying to be helpful to them.

I hope we all can just help each other.

Blessings.
    Maia
  9. Jumpinjuice

Jumpinjuice New Member

Hi Maia,

I had a double fusion done on October 2nd and I am so much better than before surgery ! Mine was my low back, I was bone on bone on the bottom two disks. So 2 rods and 4 screws later I think it was definitely worth it. I am still very careful to bend and I can't pick anything up yet, but it will come with time :)

Best of luck to you.....if you can do neck surgery you can definitely do back surgery !! Just remember that it takes a full year to recover, so be careful !

Shelly

10. just wondering how your doing now? I have been having terible neck pain/back of the head pain. I have yet to see the dr. about it and testing. Just wondering if u would mind an update, I am afraid I will need some type of neck surgery and it scares the heck out of me. I was told my neck was really bad yrs ago and would fuse together on its own, maybe thats whats happening? They try to tell u everything is fibro but I am afraid this is not.

also atiledsner how is yours doing?

11. NO1NOS

NO1NOS New Member

So happy to hear your surgery went well and you are feelin better!!!!! I had c-4,c-5.c6,c-7. removed injured on job as an abmulance medic. lifted a lg. sweet teddy bear grandpa haven a heart atack his wt. was apx,,, 200- 300 lbs plus trama bag, ekg machinc etc,,, we didnt even get help to put him on our gurney,,

Then the lowest possition of the gurnery to put the gentlemen on (while every one standing areound watching) i would of offered help.. any ways:

Im at the foot end suppedly not as healy but caring a 50 lb trama bag, and 40 lb EKG, as on the count of 3 we lifted the gentlem...hospital acoss the street yeah, but the great But,, as we lifted the man i fetl a sharp, terring pain in my neck,, i continued to wk.. raisen 3 kids alone need to work for $ for them.. but after 2 more calls the pain burning sharp etc.. had to call supervisor,, took me off ambulance, sent me to chirop/make it worse 30 days after i could choose Dr. of my own!! mri, x-rays, ekg, pt wicth made it worse, tried to go back to work 3 kids to support on my own :) worked 2-3 wks & i was done with my DREAM CAREER :(2-6-02 comp job injury exhausted all measures possibly then after 4 yrs of meds pain bed ridden, FMS i think brought on by the phys.traums whent threw depression of pain, not working amnesia, meds, etc. Im not the spontanious livey free spited dedicated spouse, mom, friend, etc...
    Anyways im rambling on but on 5-16-06 neck surgery i was so scared anteriour allgorithiom, tytamium plate and 8 screws worst surgery ive been through n ive had enough
    So scared to move my neck head bed ridden for month liquids only lost 20 lbs, collor at all times no driving if pass, only 10 min in car wow!! didnt mind to scared what if someone hit us etc.. well it been 8 months and no signs of change, hands are back in braces pain still as it was prior to surgery,
    I thimk 02 to 06 was way to long to wait for surgery to much nerve damage and many other phys. ailments due to injury not really sure it helped at all {( prayed it would but my sighn and symptems are the same as pre surgery
    so what now????? Dr. want to lovwer my meds and with FMS i cant, nor insomnia, and the never ending pain in neck, h/a vision loss. memory loss, etc, I'm stumped supposed to started aqua therepy this week looken forward for something to work massage and heat and ov course fms and pn meds help I would love to have ME back prior to injury but GOD gives us what we can handle well this one has been a doosey....
    Im very happy to hear all the great out comes of others good for you!!!!!! take care gotta go hands are numb and cant see straight...
    hope holidays were wonderful and a great new start of a new year..
    ttfn
    havent been on site for months sick, hospitalized, to painful to type but i do enjoy the site and will try to keep in touch
    i miss my friends here :) take care all of you, any sugg. would be great.. if none its ok {) were all going threw the same thing
    GOD BLESS to you all

[This Message was Edited on 02/04/2007]
  12. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Sorry it took awhile to see this, I don't get on here every day...

It has now been four months since the surgery and I am soooo much better. There is still some stiffness and pinches I feel when moving around very much but I am confident that those will work out.

I am supposed to do some physical therapy, however, the last two doctor appt's I have had to cancel. I live over 100 miles from my neurologist and the winter storms have wrecked havoc on my schedule.

I do find that I am more afraid of falling or getting hurt than I ever was. Funny, how that has affected me.

If you are considering surgery, I say go for it before you reach the point that you have too much damage. In my case, I had bone on the spinal cord with no fluid cushion. My doc said one slip or fall and I could be paralyzed or dead. Surgery or no...That's a no brainer to me!

I had no idea that I was at this point with my neck, I thought most of my pain was due to the FM.

If you think you have a problem...check it out.

Maia
  13. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

I am glad you are doing well. I am new here. So, hello.

Sorry to hear about you having to have surgery. My husband had spinal surgery at all levels & upon the bone graphs drawn from his hip the surgeon fractured his hip. It's believed by his docs he has degenerative hip disease plus still back pain.

I hope all works out well for you. You have a long road of recovery ahead. My husband had his 2 titanium rods & 9 titanium screws placed in his back in 2004 & will never be the same.

love-
    fun
  14. SWEETIEPIE251

SWEETIEPIE251 New Member

HI I JUST GOT ON MESSAGE BOARDS AND READ ABOUT YOU SURGERY. I HAD CERVICAL SPINE DONE IN JUNE C-2THRUC-5
    3 DISCS REPLACED.... I NEED TO ALSO HAVE C-6 AND C-7 DONE BUT TOLD THEM TO HOLD OFF ON THAT PART BECAUSE SURGEON TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE NO MOVEMENT IN MY NECK IF I HAD ALL OF THEM DONE SO I CHOSE TO HAVE JUST THREE DONE. WELL IN NOVEMBER I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY RIGHT SHOULDER
    THEN COULDN'T RAISE MY ARM ABOVE MY NOSE. COME TO FIND OUT I HAD A TRON ROTATOR CUFF AND BONE SPUR SO I HAD SURGERY ON THIS LAST WEEK AND THIS SURGERY WAS AS PAINFUL AS SPINAL SURGERY... I STILL HAVEN'T FULLY RECOPERATED FROM THE SPINAL SERGURY YET...I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY THROAT SWOLOWING PILLS AND LOTS OF NUMBNESS FROM THE INCITION ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK WHERE THEY WENT IN TO DO PUT IN THE PLATE.... I NEVER KNEW THAT THIS SURGERY WOULD CAUSE SHOULDER PAIN UNTILL I READ THIS MESSAGE BOARD. THE SURGEON NEVER TOLD ME THAT... I WAS TRYING TO
    GET RID OF THE PAIN I WAS LIVING WITH NOT INDURE MORE PAIN.... ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW SURGEONS NEVER TELL YOU THE WHOLE STORY. ANYHOW DOES THESE SPINAL PROBLEMS I HAVE POSSIBLY HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH FIBROMYALGIA... BOTH MY SISTER HAD IT AND I THINK MY PROBLEMS ALL STEM FROM IT TOO????

CONSTANT PAIN THESE DAYS
    LEI

15. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Fun~ I am so sorry your husband had trouble with his surgeries!! I didn't opt for the bone coming out of my own hip, rather had the bone bank donation. Never had any trouble, thankfully.

Lei~ I wish I knew what to tell you. My shoulders hurt but it's from lying on them when I sleep if I turn on my side. I really don't understand all that is involved with your pain, so can't offer any help. I will tell you this...I thought my pain was from the fibromyalgia and it ended up being more. So, I believe in checking into more if you suspect something.

I have no reservations about having surgeries done. I have never had the fear that some folks have to deal with. I have been fortunate to have good docs over the years and am thankful that the Lord provides them with sound minds and technology to help me. I am grateful for that.

With that said,....I don't know what it is like to deal with a negative consequence to a surgery...so I can't offer anything more than my own good experiences.

I hope you find relief somehow...soon!
    Blessings,
    Maia