CES Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, May 3, 2005.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I'm going back to my pain doc in two weeks for CES. I had never heard of this so I looked it up. Has anyone else tried it? Did it work?

Here's what I found about the therapy:

It appears that CES influences areas of the brain called the thalamus, hypothalamus and the reticular activating system. It also seems to stimulate the vagus nerve, producing a state of parasympathetic nervous system dominance. The parasympathetic nervous system has a general calming effect on the body. This is certainly consistent with the effects observed with CES. CES has been documented to normalize the body’s electrical fields. This has been measured on EEG (brain wave tracing). For example, people with moderate to severe pain from osteoarthritis were found to have abnormal brain wave activity. After five minutes of CES treatment, brain waves were virtually normal and pain was reduced by more than fifty percent. It has been found that individuals whose brain waves improved the most had the greatest pain relief. It is postulated that CES restores normal electromagnetic communication between cells. This may have the effect of regulating cellular differentiation, tissue repair, and immune function.
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

3. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I believe I have used this type of therapy before but I am not sure it is the same exact thing. The form of electrothetrapy I tried was electric pulse therapy. The machine came with 2 electrodes that you stick on your muscles, the ones that are hurting the most. You turn on the machine and it starts a series of pulses that get the muscles to contract. You do the treatment for up to 20 minutes and then can switch the electrodes to another set of muscles. This treatment did little for me. I found it more anoying than anything. The pulses felt pretty good but after the treatment I was back to my old knotted self. I have the same reaction to a soft massage, it bugs me. The knots are so deep in my muscles that a massage needs to be really hard deep tissue or it doesn't help me.
    I don't know if this is the same treatment that you posted or not so I can't say if it works or not. Only that the treatment I went through was ineffective for me.
    Keep us posted if you try the electotherapy and let us know if it works for you,
    Good Luck!
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I have one of those that goes on my back or neck (or whatever hurts). There aren't really enough electrodes for what hurts. It interupts the pain signals to the brain somehow.

I'm going for the treatment on the 18th - I will let everyone know how it goes.
  5. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

i have used this and it helped me with sleep....however the natural medicine physician who suggested it---said it would cause too much amino acids to be held in the brain.....