CFID and sexual abuse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

When I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me I had a resident asked if I was ever sexually abused. My ex boyfriend who isn't that bright but is a rehab dr. said he read an article that there is a large portion of sex survivors who have cfid. Don't know if he misconstrued the article as he often does with many things. My friend in brazil is working with a dr who believes the same thing.

1 out of 4 women are sexually harrased or abused at some point so I doubt this to be true.

Any thoughts?

2. landra

landra New Member

I have no reason to think that I was sexually abused as a child. And I am a counselor who worked with sexually abused women.

Did the resident who originally asked the question seem to make a connection? Or could it just be a routine screening question?

No comment on the boyfriend ` 8^)
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

This is a theory being or having been thrown around. I don't feel that there is statistically significant connection.

Sexual abuse is a trauma, both physical and mental. So, I believe that it is quite possible for someone with this event occurring in their life to trigger over into ME/CFS.

But I don't think that everyone with ME/CFS has had an event such as this.

My trigger was Bartonella. When I first heard this theory, I was a little put off. It seems to skirt the psychological issue a bit too much for me.

Marti
  4. erica741

erica741 New Member

I think if someone sets out to find a correlation between X and Y, they will the the data to prove it. However, the key to these types of theories are that the data has to be statisically significant. Has anyone read any statistically proven any correlation between sexual abuse and CFS?

However, as Marti pointed out: "Sexual abuse is a trauma, both physical and mental. So, I believe that it is quite possible for someone with this event occurring in their life to trigger over into ME/CFS."

I don't think anyone would argue that a severe trauma could compromise a person's immune system, thereby making them more susceptible to getting CFS.

The traumatic event(s), of course, would be one of many possible factors leading to the CFS.

5. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

mostly covers that "theory"....

Blessings ,

b/c
  6. spacee

spacee Member

of the Univ. of Miami (Florida) states that 17% of her patients have a history of sexual abuse as children. She is a long time CFIDS researcher and has been on the boards of several CFIDS organizations. She is a doctor of high reputation. I do not believe she has a "cause and effect" theory but is just reporting.

Personally, I think there is just so much sexually abuse out there. Years ago I heard a counselor say, "Be extremely careful who you let your children be around".

Just my 2cents worth.

Spacee
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

dr. glazer did some work on how stress affects the immune system and how it affect latent EBV.

i also read once that people with borderline personality disorder - a highly stressful mental condition - are much more likely to have CFS.

i think stress plays a role in a lot of illnesses. maybe many prisoners do have CFS...they aren't a group many people pay attention to and study.. perhaps many people in mental institutions have it too...we know about gulf war sydrome....

i am not saying that everyone with stress gets CFS, but for people who are predisposed to it, perhaps it can be a trigger.
  8. erica741

erica741 New Member

Ladybugmandy wrote: "i am not saying that everyone with stress gets CFS, but for people who are predisposed to it, perhaps it can be a trigger."

That was exactly my point!

How can anyone claim that stress or traumas CANNOT weaken the immune system?

Another key factor in stress or trauma's effect on the immune system could be how a person mentally and/or physically responds to stress.

I'm not even close to qualified to give a well-informed opinion or argument on this issue, so I'm going to stop here and let those who have done research and/or have more medical knowledge pipe in.

9. Honora88

Honora88 Member

So that's 1700% chance more?

I don't know why I am so resistant to this literature.
  10. spacee

spacee Member

Sorry, I was typing using my memory and should know not to do that.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Spacee
  11. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Well my half sister was sexually abused by our father I was not. She does not have this and I do. Go figure, kind of blows that theory in my case!

Danielle