CFIDS And FMS On PBS Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

PBS just showed a program called, "The H.O.P.E. Formula," with Brenda Watson. She claims to have had migraine headaches, chronic constipation, and CFIDS. She mentioned FMS in her list of diseases one can get from poor nutrition. She claims to be healthy today with energy and she works as a professional naturalist, working with medical docs.

It was an excellent program. The H is for High Fiber, the O is for Oils (essential oils), the P is for Probiotics, and the E is for Enzymes. Because we cannot get all these things we need in our diets, she recommends supplementation, even with a good diet. There was a lot of emphasis on the probiotics. She talks a lot about how healthy guts are essential to good immunity.

Probably what she did best was to show how a lifetime of poor nutrition leads eventually to chronic illness. I cannot possibly recap everything here but I highly recommend watching this show when it's on again. Also, she has written several books and I would think they are probably good.

Love, Mikie

2. cct

cct Member

Hi Mikie,

I have checked the local PBS listings for today and, unfortunately, I did not find any program that was related to health. (Most everything is holiday related on our PBS stations for today.) I will keep my eyes open for this program as the week develops. Thanks for the "heads-up".

Carron
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Locally, they are having their telethon and showing special programs. Look for it when your PBS station is looking for donations. I haven't had time to look for this woman's website but plan to. I hope she has one.

Love, Mikie
  4. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i saw that before.
    looked more like a infomercial.
    she didnt seem to have sincerely had anything major.
    the items she says to take are fine..but not a cure for anything. I mean fiber? come on! i have chronic diahrea and you want me to have fiber? And all the things that have fiber we often shouldnt eat.
    probiotics, fine. enzymes, fine. but thats just scratching the surface.
  5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'm glad to hear they are doing more shows on these illnesses.

:)
  6. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I have seen the show a couple of times. It was on during a PBS fundraiser. If you donated a specific $ amount then you could get a dvd copy of her "H.O.P.E." program. I thought it was very informative. However, I found that I already was taking everything that she recommends.
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

No one could have eaten more round meals than I did growing up. We never ate "out" like people do now. My mom was a great cook.

As for exercise, I lived in trees while living in Honolulu. When we returned to the States, I was still running & walking everywhere. That was before jogging was popular.

I was walking five miles a day in 1987 as well as going to a workout. On days that I didn't walk, I did the low impact aerobics. One day I just went home and felt very, very tired, had a headache and diarrhea. I thought it would pass but it didn't. My gastroenterologist told me not to take supplements or vitamins as long as I ate a healthy diet and I do.
  8. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

to eat more healthfully and to strive for optimum amounts of exercise.

However, I am suspect of any resource which advocates dietary changes alone as to being a "cure" (or preventative) to "chronic illness".

In my early 20's I had a boss who really appreciated me, yet recognized that I was "tired". She brought in shakes contianing brewer's yeast, raw liver, egg yolks,...and I don't remember what else. I drank that stuff and continued (for a time) to make it on my own. Despite this fortified nutritious shake, I never felt more energized or empowered.

I'm not saying that diet is not a REALLY importmant element to being able to function in one of these diminshed states. I think a healthful diet and every-day routine (of exercise and rest) is of PARAMOUNT importance. However, I am suspect of any advice support that suggests that a particular diet or exercise regime is an ANSWER.

I truly believe that if I was able to dedicate at least HALF of my day to a healthful routine (diet / exercise / meditation) that would probably make my life functional. But this routine itself is a "full-time job". I can only wish...........

Sincerely,
    Sleepy
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, she didn't claim that the H.O.P.E. Formula cures any disease. She did claim that she had had CFIDS, chronic constipation, and migraine headaches and now feels well. There were no details given. Her program wasn't presented as a promise of a cure. It was presented to inform people how the digestive system works and how we can help ourselves to have a healthy digestive system. It was also to emphasize that good health depends on the health of our digestive systems.

I posted about the program, not because I believe it to be the magic bullet but because it was well done and informative. For many here who have done a lot of research on these things, it would not be anything new; however, there are a lot of people who do not possess this knowledge and the program is an excellent way to see how our digestive systems work. There were some good graphics.

Most Americans do not get adequate fiber and essential oils through diet alone. Most do not know that as we age, we need to supplement enzymes and good bacteria (probiotics) to keep our guts healthy.

Almost all these programs serve several purposes: First the ARE infomercials for the presenters, giving them publicity for their speaking engagements, DVD's, and books. Second, they attract viewers to PBS to help promote fundraising. Finally, many of these are excellent presentations. It's a win, win, win situation.

Obviously, not everyone will agree on which are good and which are not. I've done a lot of research on digestion; I suffered for years from IBS. Still, I enjoyed this program and learned a few new things. I hope anyone else who watches it will gain something.

Those who know me, and how I've made progress against CFIDS, know that I have used a very comprehensive approach with no one thing's being that magic bullet. Good gut health is only one factor in healing and good health but it is a vital factor.

I still recommend this program and hope anyone who watches it will watch with an open mind and will gain at least a few new ideas to help. That was my purpose in posting about it and why we are here--to help one another. I don't mind that others didn't like it and say so, but I wanted to clear up the idea that I think the material is a cure all.

Love, Mikie
  10. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I have a book by her and it is excellent! It is called Gut Solutions and coauthored with Leonard Smith, MD. The book is divided into sections concerning IBS, Crohn's, Gall Bladder,Candida,etc.

Yes, she does sell products but you don't have to buy them and can find similar things on your own. The book is extremely informative about the digestive system.

The only problem I have with her advice is about digestive enzymes. I can not tolerate them. I think it is because they are mold based. All the other advice is excellent. It is a great refernce book.

She is from Florida I believe. Maybe that is why I have never seen her on TV. May be more of a local thing.

Thanks for posting this Mikie. Wish I could have seen her on TV.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some take enzymes to thin the blood and they may be mold based. The kind I take are made from papaya. I suppose they could be mold based but I've not heard that. I should check into it further.

We get several PBS stations here and they don't carry the same thing. On one, the guide is never right. Not sure why. Seems to me that they are always have fundraising specials. If I could, I would definitely contribute as they have some excellent programming.

Thanks for the info on Ms. Watson.

Love, Mikie
  12. Prunella

Prunella New Member

The enzymes I'm referring to are digestive enzymes. Maybe not papaya or bromelin, but others. I was surpised when I read that, but it did explain why I always felt terrible when I tried digestive enzmes.

I read everything I can get my hands on health related. I do remember that I saw it in two different places. I'll see what I can find. I try to file articles like that, but I am behind and have several piles of stuff to search thru. I may google it if I have more time.
  13. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I like William Wong N.D. approach on enzymes. He says to keep increasing the dose by +1/week until you feel the effects. For my mom, that magic number is 6, but I need a higher dose.

Like Rich Carson says, fiber absorbs mercury and excess chloresterol from being reabsorbed from bile from the gall bladder.

Brenda Watson has several interesting products out there. I think that others should have respect for another co-sufferer trying to present solution options for us.
  14. matthewson

matthewson New Member

You always post such interesting things. I have just started taking psyllium for chronic constipation, and I have to say, it really works well! I have not had any problems since starting it. I am going to look into the essential oils, I have been wanting to take some omega-3's and see if they would help with mood. Right now I am suffering terribly with migraines, something that is fairly new to me! I have a post up for some ideas to help if anyone can help me I would appreciate it!

Take care Mikie. Sally
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your interest, info, and kind words. I think these threads often lead to some really interesting and helpful discussions.

The enzyme tablets I take are for digestion. Papaya is loaded with enzymes and is also used as a meat tenderizer. Of course, if we eat foods, like pineapple, which contain high amts. of enzymes, so much the better. The more I learn, and I'm just starting to learn about nutrition, the more I realize that eating raw unprocessed foods is the healthiest thing we can do. Good fats in nuts, seeds, and avacados are excellent sources of good fats/oils. Eating fish is good too but we have to be careful. Some fish is high in mercury. Farm raised fish usually contains antibiotics. Wild salmon is considered one of the "Super Foods." I was surprised to learn that wild Alaskan canned salmon is one of the safest and cheapest ways to eat it. I'm making salmon patties later today. The wild salmon is canned right after being caught and kept on ice. I love fresh salmon but it's very hard to find and is often spoiled or spoils before I can cook it.

I'm trying to cram as many good foods into my diet as I can. It's changed the way I eat dramatically. I seldom fix big meals. I eat five smaller meals and they may just be my whey and milk or some nuts and figs. I do feel better when I eat less and psychologically, I feel better knowing I'm putting better food into my bod.

Finally, I guess what caused me to post is that Brenda Watson used both CFIDS and Fibromyalgia in her presentation. It's so unusual to hear these terms used publicly and, I believe, indicitive that the word is getting out there about our illnesses. I don't believe diet is the cure all but I do believe that if we don't provide good nutrition, nothing else we do much matters.

I'm re-reading Dr. St. Amand's book on Fibromyalgia, especially the part about the Krebs Cycle and how the mitrochondria produce ATP to fuel our energy needs. I think it helps us to go back over old ground. I always pick up something I missed the first three times through :)

I'm over the flu but still tired and not overdoing things. My mind is still on vacation. I'm hoping it will come home soon.

Love, Mikie
  16. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I hope that they will show it up here in MN...

I also apprieciate the rest of the thread, and the info that was brought up.

I am trying as much as possible to use natural supplements to help balance me...but I also have to use some prescription meds along with it, for now...

I hope that I can get to a place where I don't need meds as much...One bit at a time...

Thanks,

Suz
  17. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I appreciate everyone on this board who takes the time to post information that they find either interesting and/or helpful. I have learned SOOOO much from this board.

I now have so many things to try to help me get better and the list grows all the time. This is just one more thing that I will be adding into my folder to look into. I have been interested in probiotics etc recently so this does sound like something I will look into. I will have to look up her website.

Thank You Mikie!

Take Care,
    Pam