CFIDS & Int. bacteria- additional discussion on study in newslett

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Oct 1, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I got this off of one of the yahoo groups I'm on: - any word in all caps is done by me:
    --------------

BRIEF REPORT:
    Increased serum IgA and IgM against LPS of enterobacteria in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS): Indication for the involvement of gram-negative enterobacteria in the etiology of CFS and for the presence of an increased gut-intestinal permeability.
    First study is what is in ProHealth's newsletter:

Journal: J Affect Disord. 2006 Sep 26; [Epub ahead of print] doi:10.1016/j.jad.2006.08.021

Authors: Michael Maes [a, b, *], Ivana Mihaylova [a] and Jean-Claude Leunis [c] Available online 27 September 2006.

NLM Citation: PMID: 17007934

ABSTRACT:

There is now evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is accompanied by immune disorders and by increased oxidative stress.

The present study has been designed in order to examine the serum concentrations of IgA and IgM to LPS of gram-negative enterobacteria, i.e. Hafnia alvei; Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Morganella morganii, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas putida, Citrobacter koseri, and Klebsiella pneumoniae in CFS patients, patients with partial CFS and normal controls.

We found that the prevalences and median values for serum IgA against the LPS of enterobacteria are significantly greater in patients with CFS than in normal volunteers and patients with partial CFS.

Serum IgA levels were significantly correlated to the severity of illness, as measured by the FibroFatigue scale and to symptoms, such as irritable bowel, muscular tension, fatigue, concentration difficulties, and failing memory.

The results show that enterobacteria are involved in the etiology of CFS and that an increased gut-intestinal permeability has caused an immune response to the LPS of gram-negative enterobacteria.

It is suggested that all patients with CFS should be checked by means of the IgA panel used in the present study and accordingly should be treated for increased gut permeability.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

DISCUSSION:

The findings of the present study show that CFS is accompanied by increased serum levels of IgA and, to a lesser extent, IgM against the LPS of gram-negative enterobacteria.

Increments in serum IgM levels can be seen in mucosal immunity and immune activation, e.g. in the B1 lymphocytes. The latter are a significant source of natural serum IgM, thereby serving as a first line of defence against systemic bacterial and viral infections (Thurnheer et al., 2003).

B1 cells can migrate to the intestinal lamina propria and differentiate into IgA-producing serum cells, playing a role in mucosal immunity (Thurnheer et al., 2003). The results of our study suggest that there is a chronic immune response raised to the LPS of enterobacteria.

Many conditions can cause the mucosal barrier to become more permeable, whereby enlarged spaces between the cells of the gut wall cause a loss of the protective barrier.

This may induce an increased bacterial translocation and thus increased serum endotoxin concentrations which, in turn, may trigger an immune response (Wu et al., 2004).

Thus, the increased serum IgA and IgM levels against the LPS of gram-negative enterobacteria in CFS indicate the presence of an increased gut permeability and an immune response mounted against LPS of the enterobacteria. The relationship established between irritable bowel and the serum IgA to enterobacteria suggests that irritable bowel in CFS reflects in part disorders in gut–intestinal permeability rather than psychological stress as most psychiatrists tend to confirm.

Interestingly, the intestinal barrier may be compromised by factors which are known to trigger CFS, e.g. psychological stress (Meddings and Swain, 2000); sustained strenuous exercise (Davis et al., 2005); food allergies (Andre et al., 1987), surgery and trauma (Pape et al., 1994), but also inflammation.

The latter (inflammation) through an increased production of interferon-gamma and interleukin-6 is an essential factor in the loss of the epithelial barrier function (Yang et al., 2003).

Normally poorly invasive enterobacteria may, in situations of inflammatory stress, exploit lipid raft-mediated transcytotic pathways to cross the intestinal epithelium, and these effects may precede cytokine-induced disruption of tight junctions (Clark and Diehl, 2002).

The increased gut permeability may also explain the occurrence of autoimmunity in many patients with CFS, such as against neurofilaments, gangliosides, and serotonin (Maes, 2005; Maes et al., in preparation).

Thus, enterobacteria may have caused the autoimmunity in CFS, for example, by acting as superantigens for T lymphocytes or by a mechanism called molecular mimicry
    (Levin et al., 2002). Indeed, those enterobacteria have antigenic sites very similar to those of neuronal tissue and its lipid structures.

These antigens in turn will go into various tissues and trigger inflammation and once autoantibodies are formed the inflammation may become chronic. Thus, various TRIGGER FACTORS, such as VIRAL and BACTERIAL infections, psychological STRESS, physical EXHAUSTION, FOOD ALLERGIES, increased gut permeability or other sources of inflammation, e.g. injury, may induce immune activation, oxidative stress and inflammation and thus the symptoms of chronic fatigue (Maes, 2005).

Inflammation may in turn induce an increased gastro-intestinal permeability, which may aggravate the inflammation in a pre-existing fatigue syndrome or cause autoimmunity (Maes, 2005).

The results of the present study show that patients with CFS and other forms of chronic fatigue with a known etiology should be checked for the presence of increased gut permeability by the measurements of IgA/ IgM against the LPS of gram-negative bacteria.

In addition, we suggest that patients with CFS who suffer from an increased gut permeability should be treated with specific antioxidants.

Copyright © 2006 Published by Elsevier B.V.

--------------------

AKA 'Leaky Gut Syndrome" I believe...

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

you post great articles, thanks Victoria.

This explains alot to me, and is helping me to piece together why I have such a chronic problem w/ yeast infections.

Have you garnered any info on what "specific antioxidants" patients should be taking?

Jeanne
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I did think it was odd that the specific ones weren't mentioned. But I'm betting tho that it would easy to find-?

Does Dr. Leo Galland - or other authors -have an updated website or book? I haven't had a chance to look...

But, talking about yeast in particular, I remember vividly reading his book a long time ago... gross and eerie to read about the changes in the yeast in order to pierce thru gut wall... eww!

Vic.

[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2006]
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

this has gotten lost...

given that I read that I'm not alone, we have many digestive complaints, I'm surprised more haven't read this...

or are you just lurking?

Victoria
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I googled this and came up with lots of stuff fast. Upon reflection I think this could be a major problem for me, and so I'm going to make an effort to pursue it.

As expected, the articles talk about the regular range of stuff to get rid of yeast, as well as having a healthy diet.

The amino acid l-glutamine is said sometimes to help with this problem. I used to take that a long time ago, but I don't know if it was helpful.

Anything that make glutamine (detoxification and immune enhancer) seems to be helpful. This might include acetyl-cysteine (I could be spacing this one...check before buying) or something like ImmunoPro RX, which is a denatured whey supplements (apparently okay for people with milk allergies) that Cheney used to rave about. I've used this off and on and think that it is indeed helpful with detoxification (case in point: a side effect I had with one of my medications disappeared when I was taking this stuff).

The thing that I haven't read much about on this board but that seems very important to me is supplemental stomach acids (betaine hcl acid) and digestive enzymes. (Bromelaine is one, but I think others help to digest a wider range.) I've been lax about taking those and am going to be more diligent about it.

I'm going to read up a bit more. Please share your findings or experiences here, and I will too.
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Those 2 are the winning combo to heal my gut and clear food allergies. Whatever caused the leaky gut tends to come back over time and so I have to repeat this course a few times a yr and keep a pretty careful diet.

Probiotics are a huge part of healing, but I take those yr round no matter waht. They are a given. Primal Defense is the best thing for rapid healing. It seems to be a whole lot more than a probiotic. Pricey, but I use very little alternately.

jeanne
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Tagging for future reading.

Thanks,

Lolalee
  9. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

funny, we posted both at the same time, with a diff. of only a few minutes.
    karina
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

I actually posted this yesterday...

BUT honestly, this just shows how fast this board can move, and it's why no one posting anything that one feels is important should ever be 'shy' about bumping it themselves...

and even then not everyone sees it... I know cuz I've often posted stuff others have posted, so now I check with the 'search' box to make sure. But even then I've sometimes missed it.

Doesn't matter, the important thing is that everyone gets to read the info, imho!

All the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  11. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

cant even get one date right.

i got the info from a site that i discovered month ago, but seldom click into anymore. But they do have a lot info on leaky gut stuff.
    just google ei recource or Environmental Illness Resource, cant put the url, rules.
    ciou
    karina
  12. lea

lea Member

what dosage and type of enzymes and aloe do you take?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks for the site, I've never seen that one! Looks like it could be really useful. The info I'd gotten was from a yahoo group, but can't remember the name (sorry brain fog here) :((

all the best,
    Victoria

14. victoria

victoria New Member

Glad ProHealth put this in their newsletter, but the discussion part was missing...

I thought the (other) nteresting part was the suggestion of using antioxidants, altho they didn't specify which ones exactly they recommended.

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Why my IBS disappeared when I started my long-term Doxycycline treatment for the mycoplasma infection.

There is some kind of connection to infection with my latest gastric episode which mimics acid reflux. My low-grade fever reappeared yesterday and I started yet another cycle of the Doxy. Today, I am very weak but the symptoms of the gastric problem have vastly improved. I will find out on the 11th whether the biopsy shows an infection.

I just read Rich's article in the e-newsletter and he mentions chronic infections' playing an important part in our illnesses. As I've stated here many times, I do not think we can heal until we address these infections.

Victoria, thanks for posting this very informative article.

Love, Mikie
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

I was trying to google some antioxidants that might help the gut, basically found C and Glutathione were the most mentioned ones.

Mikie, were you ever tested for the H. Pylori? Just wondering... I have and don't have it, but do have a duodenal ulcer that will still kick up if I eat too many irritating foods... even ginger beer!

all the best,
    Victoria

17. victoria

victoria New Member

I was just reading some of last summer's newsletters as I suddenly realized that I'd not been receiving them since my ISP had upped their vigilance on spam. I read about DeMerlier's test, and it was interesting that he also talked about the GI tract:

Digestive Tract
    Gastrointestinal problems are a serious concern in ME/CFS patients: 70 percent of the body’s immune cells are found in the gastrointestinal tract. These immune cells prevent bacteria and foreign protein from entering the blood stream. When the gut becomes permeable and foreign protein enters the blood stream, elastase is produced. Elastase is the enzyme that is responsible for cutting the RNase L molecule into fragments. Elastase breaks down elastin, which gives elasticity to collagen. As a result, there is pain and a loss of elasticity in ligaments and tendons.

----------
    I'm just wondering... anyone know - has DeMerlier ever said what to do once even his test shows what category you fall into, etc? The article doesn't seem to refer to treatments...

best,
    Victoria

18. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

i posted some info conc. Dr.Meirleir for you, on the other post about cfids tests.
    love karina
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe they are testing for H. Pilori and E. Coli. The doc mentioned those two when he was talking with me and my daughter. Of course, I had just awakened from drugs which cause you to forget (like I need that :) so it's a wee bit fuzzy.

Love, Mikie
  20. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Our intestinal health is very important. Like people have said there are many supplements out there that can help, but I have found you have to take it slowly. I first did a liver detox, then colon cleanse, then started rebuilding the intestinal flora with massive probiotics. This has worked for me. I had a gram negative bacteria a few years ago and was on heavy drugs to kill it. It destroyed my intestinal flora. Diet is so important. Remove milk production from your diet, I had to take it easy on fresh vegtables and fruits as I did not have the right enzymes to digest properly anymore. Another thing I have found helpful is a lymphatic cleanse. All the issues with leaky gut seems to impact the lymphatic system. I know have a lymphatic massage once a month. I have to watch my gut very carefully because I also have Multiple Sclerosis in which I do go on rounds of steroids when I have a flare, don't like to take them but it is a necessary evil so more scar tissue does not form on the brain and or spinal cord. I have been very lucky so far and only had one read bad bout with optical neuritis so sterioid have been at a minimum. But anyways I recommend probiotics all the time. Bobby