CFIDS LINKED gene expression after infection like MONONUCLEOSI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Jul 6, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I know there's many here who link CFIDS with originally having had Mono besides me...

(I had it for a year when I was 18-19 yo, along with meningitis the last 6 months and hepatitis A to begin with. I was never right afterwards, just enough fatigue/brain fog to interfere with achieving goals;

I feel it also helped to leave the "door open" in my immune system for other infections, did a slow crash over past 10 years, beginning some 25 years after the mono.)

Press release is below, then the actual abstract:

Chronic fatigue: Clues in the Blood
    05 July 2007

Researchers at UNSW believe that blood may hold vital insights into what is happening in the brain of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

In a study unparalleled in its scope, a team led by UNSW Professor Andrew Lloyd of the Centre for Infection and Inflammation Research, has studied the differences in gene expression patterns in the blood of people who either recover promptly after acute glandular fever or develop the prolonged illness called post-infective syndrome.

The researchers examined six million pieces of gene expression information for analysis in the project, known as the Dubbo Infection Outcomes Study. The study is named after the NSW town in which the work was conducted. The team studied the expression of 30,000 genes in the blood, testing each of the 15 individuals between four and five times over a 12-month period.

The team was able to narrow its findings to the expression of just 35 genes whose pattern of expression correlated closely with the key symptoms of the illness when examined from onset through to recovery. Gene expression is significant because it is the process by which a gene’s DNA sequence is converted into the proteins which ultimately determine the manifestations of disease.

The research paper has been published and selected for editorial comment in the prestigious Journal of Infectious Diseases.

Since 1999, the team has been tracking the long-term health of individuals infected with Ross River virus (RRV), Q fever infection and Epstein-Barr virus, which causes glandular fever.

“These [35] genes might point to the nature of the disease process that underlies CFS, which is currently unknown,” said Professor Lloyd, who is based in the School of Medical Sciences at UNSW. “None of them are ones that I would have predicted, except for those relating to neurotransmitters,” he concedes. “Some of them relate to transport of zinc and other metal ions within the cell, which may suggest a fundamental disturbance in cellular function.”

The researchers now hope to narrow the focus of research onto the expression of these 35 genes in the blood of a much larger group of subjects from the Dubbo Infection Outcomes Study, with varied patterns of illness and recovery.

“There are very few complex diseases which have been comprehensively analysed, with large scale and longitudinal studies, like this,” said Professor Lloyd. “It sets a standard for highly sophisticated, comprehensive gene expression studies in the blood of all sorts of human diseases from rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis through to schizophrenia.”

Abstract of above study:

Gene Expression Correlates of Post-Infective Fatigue Syndrome after Infectious Mononucleosis

Barbara Cameron, Sally Galbraith, Yun Zhang, Tracey Davenport, Ute Vollmer-Conna, Denis Wakefield, Ian Hickie, William Dunsmuir, Toni Whistler, Suzanne Vernon, William C. Reeves, Andrew R. Lloyd, and Dubbo Infection Outcomes Study

Volume 196(2007), pages 56 - 66
    DOI: 10.1086/518614

Infectious Mononucleosis (IM) commonly triggers a protracted Post-Infective Fatigue Syndrome (PIFS) of unknown pathogenesis.

7 subjects with PIFS/Post-Infective Fatigue Syndrome with 6 or more months of disabling symptoms and 8 matched control subjects who had recovered promptly from documented IM were studied.

The expression of 30,000 genes was examined in the peripheral blood by micro-array analysis in 65 longitudinally collected samples. Gene expression patterns associated with PIFS/Post-Infective Fatigue Syndrome were sought by correlation with symptom factor scores.

Differential expression of 733 genes was identified when samples collected early during the illness and at the late (recovered) time point were compared.

Of these genes, 234 were found to be significantly correlated with the reported severity of the fatigue symptom factor, and 180 were found to be correlated with the musculoskeletal pain symptom factor.

Validation by analysis of the longitudinal expression pattern revealed 35 genes for which changes in expression were consistent with the illness course. These genes included several that are involved in signal transduction pathways, metal ion binding, and ion channel activity.

Gene expression correlates of the cardinal symptoms of PIFS/Post-Infective Fatigue Syndrome after IM/Infectious Mononucleosis have been identified. Further studies of these gene products may help to elucidate the pathogenesis of PIFS.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2007]
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I think I read somewhere that the average PWC has on average of 1-7 infections to clear in order to get well. These infections have done a hit & run kind of damage to my brain. I've got the white spots on the MRI to prove it.

I got mono in my early 20's right around the time I had my daughter. Between the pregnancy and EBV, my thryoid quit working. EBV opened the door for the many other infections I've managed to collect (candida, chlamydia pneumonia, Borrelia, Babesia). In spite of AVs for over a year my high (IgG & IgA) EBV titers have never dropped (IgM is normal).

I wish the Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) would invent a test to say what's an active infection and what's not. All they can tell us for now is that we've got antibodies to XYZ or had this infection in the past.

Oh, but wait...a mental slap to the forehead to me. The IDSA is too busy ruining the lives of Lyme sufferers and their doctors to waste time inventing something really useful like good antibody test or a Lyme test.

Sometimes I wonder if these infections percolate for decades in women and then go crazy around menopause. During the years that I was heavily involved with the Endometriosis Association there was much speculation that the endocrine and immune system are one in the same.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

you gave me an 'aha' moment there... yep about 10 yrs ago I'm sure I was in perimenopause; altho still very regular, showed other signs... now I'm in menopause. And I have endometriosis, no surprise there, also belonged to Endo Assoc for many years and remember the connection not only with dioxin but CF/FM and candida (which of course I also have to keep staving off).

But you'd think that being estrogen dominant would be a little bit of a good thing after menopause (I never had a hot flash or mood swing or ANYthing during it, so at least there was a little bit of a good side)--

even tho of course est. levels have gone down. But I know a good alternative doc would say the problem would/could also be linked to imbalance between the hormones.

Too bad we can't detox the 100+ chemicals we've all picked up from the years from the food industry too...

Seems like we're always fighting on all fronts, doesn't it?

Not only in not being called crazy by uninformed docs, but the FDA and imports from China now, the IDSA, etc., etc...

Thanks for the bump Prickles.

best, Victoria

4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Victoria: So glad you posted about the food coming in from China. Most PWC's respond horribly to medications with some requiring pediatric doses. I fail to understand why people are not making the connection to the chemicals in our FOOD. If a med can make you sick why not consider the food you're putting in your body too?

Most substances that we are allergic/intolerant to stimulate the production of endorphins. We get a mini-high from eating these things and don't realize that those things contribute to ill health. I do scads better on the candida diet with organic food. Staying away from food allergens is key.

Some of the chemicals the food industry uses can't go directly into the food. They have to put it in the packaging. Like BHT in cereals. BHT starts out as paint thinner! Humans were not meant to eat wheat 25 times a day either.

All of the hormones in meat and milk must be interferring with our hormone receptors. They are like a lock and key. For years, I've also thought that some unknown chemical in our bodies is tying up our receptors to thryoid and sex hormones. Too many of us have issues with the HPA axis, the Hypothalmus Prolactin Axis and the Hypothalmus Growth Hormone axis.

The real Axis of EVIL are the food industry, the chemical companies and the pharmaceutical companies. Autism is up to 1 in 135 children. Endo 1 in 10 women. Breast cancer 1 in 7. Very scary stuff!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Just saw Ralph Nader on TV calling on all Americans to write to their Federal reps to protest the imports from other countries as they're so unregulated... he is still so good at what he does, and doesn't look like there's anyone to take his place. He never to my knowledge has distorted any facts to make a point.

I was also just reading an article that shows N. Europe overall (mostly Scandinavia, Germany, Dutch, with the exception of UK) are now the tallest in world, with the Dutch leading... average heigth of men is 6'1" now. Some have linked it to the differences in our diet, not just the snacks, but the additives and other pollutants in animals etc. Both men and women here have actually shrunk in average. True, immigration plays a part, but the UK doesn't fit that definition and they've shrunk as well.

Many years ago Dr. Cheraskin talked about an experiment where they fed one group of mice a popular breakfast 'fortified' cereal, and another group got the cardboard boxes ground up! The group eating the cardboard boxes were healthier than the mice eating the cereal.... That about sums it up...

6. victoria

victoria New Member

7. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

"remission" until peri-menopause over a decade later and now I'm bedridden with severe CFS/FMS.
    I've heard that the endocrine and immune system is intertwined and that they heavily affect each other.

Viruses can change genes right? So are they saying that the viruses changed the genes or that we were born with faulty genes? Or do they think they know at all?

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2007]
  8. monom

monom Member

In 1982 I was hospitalized with Mono. Everything started

ever since.

Thank you

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really believe that there are many, many factors which can change our genetic coding and trigger ME/CFIDS. We may even recover from one or two episodes of exposure but if we are exposed long enough to many triggering events, we will get sick and not be able to recover.

In my case, as you know, it was a mycoplasma infection which made me so sick that I was never the same afterward. I also had had EBV and viral meningitis years ago. There were many other strange "bugs" which made me very sick but from which I eventualy recovered. I had a staph infection in my armpits for two years and it was the devil to get cleared up.

Rich's methylation protocol is based on genetics which can cause a methylation cycle block. I really believe he is onto something. I watched that NOVA show on epigenetics and the study of identical twins. When twins are young, their genetics are almost exactly the same. When they are older, there are very few common genetic areas. That has led the researchers to theorize that outside events can cause major changes to our genetic coding.

I believe it isn't just pathogens and infections which do this. Stress, toxins in the environment, and injuries are probably responsible as well. Because our illnesses seem to run in families, I have to wonder whether we are genetically predisposed or whether common exposure to some event causes this. It's still a chicken 'n egg question for me.

I am glad to see all the research because I believe it will eventually lead to cures or, at least, better treatment. I'm hoping Rich is right and that if one sticks to the methylation protocol, one will heal.

Thanks again for the info. BTW, Andy turned two and someone gave him some Mickey Mouse crocs for his birthday. What excited the kids is that they are Univ. of GA colors. What next--a bulldog :)

Love, Mikie
  10. I was just going to point out that 35 genes were abnormal in Dr Kerr's study too! It's great we're seeing consistancy in research, very encouraging!
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

Very interesting about the Nova show and Dr. Kerr's study...

Itstooealryinthemorn (love your name, lol!) is the Dr. Kerr study in the research library here? - wonder if it's the same genes?

We don't get local TV as it's extra on satellite here :( so didn't get to see it. I'm thinking I need to join that net video rental so I can get some good documentaries...

I am keeping the methylation protocol in mind, just in case the MP doesn't do it all for me... having trouble sticking to it as one crisis occurs after another. Right now my MIL seems to be in end stages of dying, we still have her at home here thankfully so she is left in peace. Thank God for hospice, what a wonderful organization - their nurses will come at anytime necessary, and are really helpful.

AND - Mikie-- well, when Andy starts to only want to wear red and black and his favorite lyrics are
    "Let the big dawg eat, woof, woof" or
    'Who let the dogs out, woof woof"
    (have to have the 'woof, woof,' lol, I can see a 2 yo REALLY liking that!!!!) will you have to worry...

LOL you know they DO have a special day at UGA here in August where anyone can have their picture taken with Uga the bulldog... he IS a pretty happy looking & cute bulldawggie! That said, I do have to say, I'm not a football fan... but I notice a lot of wives shopping during the games downtown...

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 07/08/2007]
  12. Someone on a myspace forum mentioned that it wasn't the same genes, so possibly a coincidence. Still pretty exciting though! Hoping for more on this soon.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My daughter downloads NOVA shows to her Ipod so if you have a way to watch them other than TV, perhaps you can catch it. I think you may even be able to download them to your computer but I'm not sure. You don't get any PBS channel? That's too bad. BTW, the segment on twins is on the same show as the "elevator to space." That is the headliner segment if it helps you find the show on epigenetics and twins.

It's also too bad about you MIL. My prayers are with you all and the wonderful Hospice people. They are truly God's angels on earth.

When I was looking at homes in Athens, every other yard had an Uga statue in the front yard. It's just like being in NE where every other yard has a "Go Big Red" sign in it. Once when Andy visited, he had on a dark red, navy blue, and gray striped shirt. All the people from Mass. claimed him as a Pats fan.

Love, Mikie
  14. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member