CFIDS/ME & Salsa Dancing on HBO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just watched a wonderful documentary on salsa dancing at a class in Harlem. They went into the backgrounds and reasons that the people in the class wanted to learn salsa. One man has CFIDS/ME and he was very realisticlly depicted. It showed his apartment where he has almost no furniture because he simply doesn't have the energy to deal with it. At one point in his apartment, he had to go lie down. In class, he had to take it easy and had to sit sometimes. It showed him at the doc's and he showed the doc what he was doing. The doc told him he thought he could handle it. He took it slowly and sometimes had to stop as fatigue and profuse sweating set in.

The group put on a little show at the end and they gave a little blurb on each participant. The guy with CFIDS/ME made it through the show. The blurb said his CFIDS/ME is improved and he continues to dance. It wasn't one of those things where the message was, "All you need to do is exercise." It showed how difficult his life is and how important it is for him to only work within his emergy limits.

Many of us aren't capable of living normal lives and our homes may be a mess but we need to have more in our lives than just feeling horrible. If I have some energy, I will spend time with friends and to heck with the housework. It gets done when it gets done. I could really identify with this guy. You could definitely see his exhaustion and how it affects his life.

Every time we get fair exposure for what ails us, it's a step toward understanding in our communities and families.

Love, Mikie
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Hello, Mikie! Can you tell me what the name of the HBO program was? I'd like to try to find it. Thanks for sharing this; have a blessed day!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you and have a blessed day too. I wish I could remember it. I was channel surfing and missed the first few minutes. I had no idea there would be someone with CFIDS/ME in the documentary. There just wasn't anything else on I wanted to watch.

If you have "On Demand" with your cable, you can go to HBO documentaries and should have no trouble finding it. Salsa and Harlem would almost have to be in the title or description. You might be able to find it on HBO's website too.

Wish I could be more helpful. I hope you find it. It's interesting and inspiring.

Love, Mikie
  4. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Thanks, Mikie! I don't have cable, but I might be able to look it up online on HBO's website; thank you for the suggestion! I'd like to see it.

May God continue to bless you! Deb
  5. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I love all the dancing shows!

Years ago when my brother was a teenager & had moved into his 1st apartment, he told me he had cleaning advice. "Don't move anything!" he said. I LMFO at the time but I found myself thinking about that when FM made it hard for me to clean.

It is important to me that my house be clean. I want it spotless but I will settle for clean. Now, I settle for looking clean! I dust around, rather than moving everything like I once did. Don't open the cabinet or closet doors. I generally try to keep up but you are right - spending time with friends is much more important than housework!

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I meant to try to go find it for y'all. I'm sick and we had a minor electrical situation yesterday which kept me running all day. I'm sweating all the time and it has to be the methylation protocol. It causes purging of all kinds of toxins in the body. I was off it for a while and I guess things built up. Oh well, it's working.

I'll poke around to see whether I can find it.

Love, Mikie

Oh, BTW, this isn't some slick show like "Dancing With The Stars." It's like a lot of the small arts studios in NYC where all kinds of interesting things are going on. Harlem is making a big comeback on many levels. Soooo inspiring!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is the name of the documentary. I found it online but didn't have any success looking at "On Demand." Of course, the focus is on salsa but it was the focus on the guy with CFIDS/ME which drew my attention. He is high functioning enough to seek out something to make his life more interesting and challenging but he struggled with both the dancing and other areas of his life. This is closest to where I am. On my good days, I can look and act almost "normal," but I have to live within my limits, like most of us.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad you found it. Yes, I could relate to how tired he looked. Unless I'm purging, or working out in the hot and humid FL weather, I don't usually sweat. He was sweating hard from the exertion. I also related to being too tired to care about doing things around the home. My condo is furnished just the way I like it but I'm too exhausted to care about cleaning it like I used to.

At least, the doc in the documentary didn't tell him that all he needed to do was exercise and diet.

BTW, on "Morning Joe" on MSNBC today, they talked about how bad the spread of Lyme Disease is in Conn. and Long Island. They pronounced it, "Lyme's Disease," but it was mentioned. Willie Geist said he had had it and was sicker than he'd ever been but that it was caught early and he recovered fairly soon. I'm glad he didn't have the effects of chronic Lyme but I would hate for people to think it's like the flu and then you recover and are fine. Evidently, people are familiar enough with it's effects to become really concerned. People in the Hamptons are checking their kids' for ticks from head to toe every time they come in.

When illnesses get bad enough, people pay attention. I just saw an ad for autism. The chances of a boy being diagnosed with it is one in 110. Last year, it was one in 150. It used to be one in 10,000. A child with autism has an even greater chance of passing it on to his children.

With govt. cuts and people wanting the govt. out of their lives, I fear that we are going to be on our own pretty soon. I wonder how a representative, with an autistic child, would vote on a bill to fund autism research. Couple that with wanting to do away with regs. in business and we may never know how much the toxins in our environment are making us sick. A sick nation is an unproductive nation and an unproductive nation cannot compete in the global marketplace. Investing in finding cures is just good business and good common sense, not to mention that it's the right thing to do.

OK, off my soapbox.

Love, Mikie
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the cheery report. I like to dance myself; just don't gots no talent for it.
    When I was a teen we did lots of folk dancing: square, round, line. And ours was
    the first generation to dance to rock and roll.

Any of us who love some hobby and can still do it are pretty lucky, I think.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

gb, I'm not sure it's ever too late to try treatments. It was 11 years before I started on the ABX for my mycoplasma infection. It took 2 1/2 years to get it under control but it was worth it. Mycoplasmas, like Lyme, can change form and deposit latent cysts in the body's tissues. Do you read the posts on Lyme here? I hope you can find a way to heal. My healing isn't 100 percent as I have other conditions, but everything helps a little. Otherwise, I'd still be bedridden most of the time and on morphine.

Yes, Rock, our generation is unique. We were influenced by Rock 'n Roll, the war in Vietnam, and the British invasion. My Mother's generation was influenced by the boogie-woogie jitterbug music and, of course, WWII. My kids' generation was influenced by the music of the 80's and hard rock. Every now and then, an old song will get me off my duff and up to dance a little but I wear out fast. BTW, anyone see Nancy Grace's costume malfunction on DWS? I don't watch it anymore. Like some commedian said, "I wonder why they don't do a celebrity version."

Love, Mikie