CFS and Addiction Recovery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by thisonecoolgirl, Sep 19, 2009.

1. thisonecoolgirl

thisonecoolgirl New Member

Curious if anyone has noticed a correlation between addiction recovery and CFS. In tracking through my medical history, the onset of my CFS occurred just weeks after my first day of sobriety.

I had used alcohol heavily for years, primarily to "self-medicate" - I didn't think I was strong enough to face life without it, that the world was just too harsh a place for me without something to soften the blows.

I have been sober just over a year now. That's a year of actually FEELING my feelings and dealing with them rather than drowning them. Part of me wonders if the sudden surge of emotions rushing to the surface didn't play a role in short circuiting my system?

Please don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that the alcohol somehow prevented me from becoming sick sooner. It undoubtedly damaged my physical health and severely retarded my emotional growth, leaving me with a giant pile of catch up work. And as brutal as CFS is, addiction - for me at least - was exponentially worse. It may take me a little longer to get to the mirror now, but when I finally make it there, I'm happy with the person I see :)

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts or experiences on CFS and addiction and sobriety, and the relationships that may or may not exist.

Have a brilliant day!
  2. thisonecoolgirl

thisonecoolgirl New Member

Yes - I did get your message - thank you! I can't imagine being addicted to tranquilizers. I've read that prescription addiction is particularly harrowing - it's amazing that you had the strength to do something about it when your own doctor was telling you not to! I was thinking today about all the changes I've had to make, and will have to make, because of CFS and then I realized I certainly made just as many adjustments to accommodate my addiction when it was that important to me. So, it's kind of the same thing - only instead of hurting ourselves, we're finally helping.