CFS and Antidepressants Do THey Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, May 7, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering how many with cfs have found antidepressants helpful..Not only with cfs but with depression/anxiety..

I can take the fatigue, the pain but why does it have to effect my brain? Such as weird head sensations, ringing in ears,
    foggy feeling most of all the anxiety/depresion like you are going completely crazy..

Thanks.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SSRI's and Klonopin, I opted for the Klonopin. It is especially good at giving me quality sleep; stopping the racing brain, anxiety, and sensory overload; dealing with muscle spasms; limiting my tinnitus; and helping with pain. When I started the Guai Protocol, my Fibro Fog almost immediately cleared up.

No one thing works for everyone but I think it's good to research and make as informed decision as possible.

Love, Mikie
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I know the xanax has been helpful and what AD's I have tried the side effects were terrible..Maybe I need to increase my dosage, not sure, seems I am in a slump and nothing is working..

I am becoming more housebound due to the weird head feelings, fear etc..then that seems to bring about the depression..

When I saw the homeopathic I had such high hopes but the supplements were just to many or to much for my stomach..Now on top of everything else I stay nausated a lot...

Never had more than a good few days in over 5 years but thankful for those and just when I get my hopes up then here comes the crash...

Feel so discouraged because I am unable to leave town and travel for doctor appointments..

Guess I am venting,
    greatgran
  4. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Have you tried amino acids?

These are the nutrients that stimulate your brain to make its own antidepressants, eg. seratonin,norepinephrine, and dopamine.

I take an amino acids blend called Neuro Optimizer that really helps with the brain fog.

Also 5HTP if I'm feeling blue or anxious.

Roseblossom

5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Normally the antidepressants help me. I have depression in my family and HAVE to take them.

I have had best success ( and so have my family members)
    with zoloft and prozac , and years ago with pamelor .

I find that every few years I have to switch meds .

I think some of the meds just have lots of side effects in general. Zoloft and prozac seem to be tolerated by
    most of the people I personally know with depresssion , and they both work on anxiety also .

In my opinion, doctors who are not as savvy tend to start people out on doses too high too fast . My doc started me SLOWLY and very gradually raised the dose .
    I did have side effects initially , but they eventually disappeared . When I started on prozac, it was on 10 mg
    daily . I took a 10 mg capsule , poured it in 8 ozs juice , and drank four ozs of the juice . The next day I would finish the rest of the remaining juice . I stayed
    on 10 for about ten days , then slowly raised it to 20 .

Most of us are so deprived of serotonin that our bodies probably go into shock initially when the nervous system introduces it again , and we have some strange or unsettling symptoms . My doc had much more luck getting people over the initial adjustment by going slow raising the dose .

I am going to say a prayer for you today . The depression and anxiety can be worse than the disease .
    I will pray that you are led to something that HELPS your depression and anxiety .

Another person here posted she had success with rhodiola rosacea . I think they sell the herb here .
    I never tried it . May God lead you to the best solution
    for YOU to improve .
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2006]
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Victoria is a member who has posted here a long time. She and her son have lyme disease . She posted that her son
    had very difficult depression and would not take antidepressants . I believe her doc suggested L Theanine
    ( amino acid ) for depression, which truly worked for him.
    I think it is sold here , but there are probably cheaper places ( sometimes I use Puritan supplements or Vitamin Shoppe also ) . Victoria is very helpful and kind , and could share the dose that helped with his tough battle with depression.

Others here have posted that GABA helps with anxiety .

7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I take antidepressants for cfs. I was on prescription ones for about 8 years and finally managed to wean myself off them. Now I take SAMe 400.

There are disadvantages with antid's. ( e.g., physical addiction, which occured in my case) and different ones suit different people. However, they can really help.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know that I can start feeling agoraphobic when I'm not feeling well. It's just too much to have to go out in public. When I've been sick for a while and can't get things done, it can be very depressing. I don't suffer from depression, per se, but I experience it secondarily to how I am feeling overall if I've been in a slump.

Years ago, I did suffer from clinical depression so bad I spent a lot of time in the fetal position on the sofa. Even my vision would narrow down to a very small pinpoint to shut life out. It was horrible. I didn't use AD's. I had years of therapy to help me and I eventually recovered. That was before all the new AD's were around.

I hope you can find something to help. God bless you.

Love, Mikie
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

As many know from my recent whining about the horrid symptoms I experienced when weaning myself off Celexa, nevertheless I did go back on 2.5 mgs in the morning and 1/4 tablet of Trazadone at bedtime (to speed up the process). But when I was in the midst of it as you seem to be, I could NOT think of what to do. I didn't want to resume an SSRI but my doctor recommended it and I finally figured that my quality of life right now is worth doing what I need to do for myself. I am, after five days, beginning to come out of the tunnel very slightly. The fatigue is still increased but the feeling of losing my mind has just about disappeared, thank God.

I suggest you check back with your doctor, assuming you have a decent one, and perhaps he/she can suggest another med for you. To feel stuck in that feeling of nuttiness is THE worst.

Hugs to you,
    Marta
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....What is it with us that we feel we somehow have to scrimp on our own quality of life?? Is it a personality type that goes with CFS? I hear it in so many posts. Maybe we need to get a little bit angry. (Just not enough to hurt ourselves. ;>)

Marta
  11. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I have tried just about every anti-depressant under the sun and non have helped. Some have helped with sleep but they made me so groggy the next day I had to discontinue.
    I take an anti-anxiety Klonapin and it really helps. I my opinion it works because it reduces excess cortisol that gets produced with persons with CFIDS. I have also tried xanax and that seemed to work for a while but then my system got used to it and I was going through little withdrawls a couple of times a day. Klonapin has a longer half life so you don't experience them.
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

First of all I want to thank each of you for your input..

We are all different and I know what works for one doesn't work for the other..I have tried AD's for a few days never more than 7 days due to side effects..

I have had luck with the xanax so feel anti-anxiety may be the answer if there is one..

Mikie and Pitatoo would you please tell me the dosage of klonopin you take, how long have you been on it, other than being longer acting is there a big difference in the two..(xanax vs klonopin)

Oh, I haven't had much luck with the supplements and over the counter AD's..

Thanks to each of you for your input and the Prayers
    God Bless,
    greatgran
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Greatgran:
    I use Elavil 50mg., an anti-d- for pain and sleep. I also use
    a sleeping pill, a Klonopin 1mg.

nyrofan
  14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A friend was at my house the other day complaining of problems concentrating, etc. I gave her sublingual B-12 and within about 30 minutes she said her head was clearing up, she had more energy and felt good. I talked to her yesterday and she took some more and liked it - it also improved her mood. The best kind to take is methylcobalamin, although the kind I had on hand was just cobalamin, and that helped her. Our B-12 levels diminish as we age and probably most people are deficient in B-12.

l-theanine is an amino acid which helps the brain produce GABA. It's very safe, it doesn't drug you but helps reduce sensory overload. I think it probably does the same thing as klonopin, only it has no potentital for addiction and is safer. It produces a state of calm alertness, the Japanese spike many products with it. You might be able to replace your xanax with l-theanine.

5-htp is an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin. It helps with mood and sleep. I cannot tolerate prescription AD's, I can't stand the side effects. I've had no side effects from the 5-htp, apart from a mild headache for a week when I first took it but then it stopped. It's helped a lot with sleep and the people I've recommended it to all liked it.

I'm sorry it didn't work out with your naturopath. It sounds like he or she should have started you out with only 1 or 2 things so you could see how you react. I wouldn't give up on it. If your adrenals are weak, they need support and there are some very good products which help.

I think you should talk to the naturopath and get him or her to go slowly with you.

Good luck --

Mary
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I started out with only half of a .5 mg. tablet at bedtime and eventually worked up to two tablets. I could use an additional tablet during the day as needed for anxiety and sensory overload. I quartered the extra tablet and would put a piece under my tongue when I needed it.

I am weaning down on the Klonopin to see whether I can do without it. I figure that eventually, as I continue to improve, I may no longer need it. It will take months to wean off, if I can do it at all. So far, I am down to 1 1/2 tablets at night and haven't had to take it during the day. So far, no anxiety and no sensory overload. That's a good sign.

I've never taken Xanax so I can't comment on it. Good luck.

Love, Mikie