CFS and Atrial Fibrillation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JMBax, Jan 5, 2006.

1. JMBax

JMBax New Member

I have been dealing with CFS since April of 1989, with episodic flareups that can last from months to several years, with periods of partial remission in between... In August of 2005, I was diagnosed with Paroxismal Atrial Fibrillation and have been under treatment since for this condition. I have experience serious symptoms of fatigue and disability parelleling CFS. In November I was put on medication that finally controlled the fibrillation.. within 2 weeks, all the fatigue was gone, and I am feeling the way I recall feeling before contracting CFS....My memory is improving, my concentration is better and the body aches are gone, and I have energy... I am also losing weight. Doctors are questioning whether there is a connection between Atrial fibrillation with its resultant blood pressure changes and CFS... has anyone had a similar experience.. I had gone through cardiac workups in the past with negative results... I'm wondering if they just didn't catch the fibrillation....I'd be curious for feedback about my experience...
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I, too, would like to know the name of the med that you are on.

I also experience atrial fib and other heart disorders.

I have been on heart meds for a long time, but none have done for me what you are saying that yours is doing for you!

Thanks.

Janet
  3. JMBax

JMBax New Member

I was put on a number of meds initially for atrial fibrillation and some did nothing and others made me sick.... I am now on Cartia XT 120mg at bedtime, Flecainide Acetate 100mg every 12 hours and altace, 2.5 mg at bedtime..... I can honestly say that I have never felt better.... right now, I have a little cold... ordinarily that might trigger a CFS response, but right now, I just feel like I have a cold.... because the fibrillation comes and goes, and follows no predictable course, it's possible that the doctors never really caught it happening...

HOw was your fibrillation diagnosed.... how are they treating you... are any of the meds working... sorry about all the questions, but I'm curious about the possible connections...
  4. JMBax

JMBax New Member

Hi,

What I've learned about Atrial Fibrillation is the top part of your heart begins, for what ever reason, to quiver and not beat... which opens the door for the blood in your heart to pool increasing your risk of clots and stroke.... the bottom part or ventricles of your heart continue to beat in a normal rhythm, but must pump harder to compensate....I hope your friend is under good care.. I am being seen by both a cardiologist and an electrophysiologist.... they came up with this medication protocol that seems to be working wonderfully for me....

Good luck to your friend...