CFS and Benzo's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 23, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Now that the article has come out about stress and CFS maybe that is one reason the benzo's help some of us..

Out of all the drugs and supplements I have tried, Xanax has been number one for me..

Since we can't help how we handle stress just maybe benzo's do really work after all..

Just my input,
    greatgran
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have never tried klonopin so can't help you there, sorry. I have heard that xanax is shorter acting so maybe you should give them a try..

My Rx calls for .05, 3 x a day and one at bedtime but I have never taken that amount..I take a half of the .05 three times a day and one at bedtime.

Sometimes I don't take that much but in rough times sometimes I take more but always a half of the .05..since my system is so sensitive..

Sorry I of no help, but how are you doing?

greatgran
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

and I take Klonopin. I take .5mg every night at bedtime. I do okay with that. If I take any more than that I feel like I'm on another planet the next day. Its strong stuff.

Michelle
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Klonopin is one drug to which we can be very sensitive. .25 mgs. may not sound like much, but if I take that, I will want a nap, even though I take 1 mg. at bedtime. .125 mgs. is all it takes to rid myself of sensory overload. As with many drugs, we have to learn to adjust the dose to maximize the desired result.

Klonopin has been a God send to me for so many reasons. It has helped many others here to for a lot of various symptoms, evidently related to a slight state of seizure.

The downside is that if one ever wants to wean off the benzos, it takes a long time and must be done very slowly.

Love, Mikie
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have been prescribed both and they do work differetnly. One doctor had presribed 3 l.0 pills a day. I rarely took any but I began to take 1 a night when my inability to sleep became unbearable. I would go to sleep but would wake in the very early morning hours and did not go back to sleep.

My CSF/FM doctor wanted me to change to Klonopin. They are longer acting and you get more sleep. You will fall asleep faster with the Zanax though. I was prescribed 5 .5 pills per day. I was to talk 2 .5 at night and the other 3 during the day as needed. I was only taking the nighttime dose until my problems with sensory overload peaked and I stared taking an afternoon dose. It made me sleepy before I needed to be sleepy. Fatigue is one of my major problems.

Thank God for Mikie!!! and several others that gave me advise on sensory overload. As I look at it now, I was and am probably going into severe anxiety attacks cause by what seems to be everything.

As Mikie advised, I take a .5 pill and break it into 1/4's. I take it every few hours and when I sense the overwhelming, uncontrollable feelings, I take 1/2 or have taken a whole pill if necessary.

I have been told my medical doctors though that for an anxiety attack, the Zanax is much quicker and better drug. I am trying to avoid a fullblown attack like yesterday though, by using Mikie's suggestions on small doses of Klonopin.

Greatgran, I have found that it is more than stress that is causing this problem for us or at least me. It can be these computers we are using, motion around me, lights, sounds, smells and much more. It scares me because the real world is full of all of those things and to control it in my house is causing family problems.

I hope you will find this info helpful.

Hoping for you and all of us better health and happiness.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Whether the Klonopin is to blame for memory problems or whether it's our illnesses, or just plain aging. Healthy friends my age have as many problems with memory and finding words as I do. I do crossword and other puzzles to try to keep my mind in shape. I also read fairly complex material.

I have noticed a sort of flatness of emotions while on the Klonopin. It isn't bad enough to bother me. My doc tells me I have symptoms of PTSD. Following very traumatic stressors in my life, I have had my emotions shut down completely. When I am ready to deal with things, my emotions slowly return. This flattening of my emotions is very slight but noticeable.

If Dr. Cheney is right, stopping the seizure activity, which causes racing brain, insomnia, sensory overload, anxiety, etc., protects our brains' neurons from premature death. Evidently if we are able to heal enough, the seizure activity will subside. I hope this is true. I've been doing so much better and am weaning down on the Klonopin 1/4 tablet a month. I'm about to decrease the dose again. If I find I cannot go off of it, I will figure my brain needs it.

Long-term use of any drug which alters brain chemistry concerns me. My Mom had a friend who took Vallium for years for her anxiety. Her brain is fried but I don't know that it's from taking the drug or whether it's age or Alzheimers. She is an elderly lady now.

I think if Klonopin is dissolved under the tongue, it works as fast as Xanax but Xanax may be the drug of choice for anxiety. I find the Klonopin almost immediately gets rid of anxiety and/or sensory overload if dissolved under my tongue. If I am late taking my bedtime dose of Klonopin, I dissolve just a bit of the dose under my tongue and I don't have to wait for it to kick in to make me sleepy. After trial and error, Klonopin can be quite flexible, depending on the situation.

Love, Mikie