CFS and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ghosalb, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ghosalb

ghosalb New Member

Any comments on how to handle CFS if one also has diabetes will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

if your non insulin dependent, diet plays a big role. Im not diabetic(yet) but it runs in my family, i have low blood sugar problems when eating carbs, even low glycaemic carbs. I find following a low carb diet like atkins helps and in my reading taking metformin a diabetic med that improves insulin sensitivity helps alot also and doesnt lower blood sugar like injected insulin.
    I have just started taking metformin in the hope to help lose weight which also hinders how we handle blood sugar. Ive been slowly gaining weight around the midrift for awhile even while following a good diet, this is a sign that im becoming insulin resistant. Its only been 2 days on metformin and i can already tell its changing my appetitte for the better.

3. joanierav

joanierav Member

your post really grabbed my attention. "weight gain around my midrift is a sign of becoming insulin resistant". this is happening to me, just recently i have all these rolls of fat from right below my breasts to my belly button. im wondering what the heck is causing this, as im not heavy at all. even my friend has commented on this, as its very noticable through my clothes. and i may add, not very attractive.

i was even thinking of going to the doctor, as i thought maybe its indicative of something serious. but how do i go to a doctor for "love handles". its seemed silly. now im really thinking of going, as maybe its a precursor to diabetes.

i would appreciate if anyone has the answer or can shed any light on this.

blessings, joanierav
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

look into insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. My cholesterol has also been going up which is also known to happen in insulin resistance. Cholesterol seems to have alot to do with insulin and blood sugar. some improve on low carb diets, which has kept me in good stead until the last 12 months.